hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

What stinks is getting by CT, NY and past DC. After that it "should" be OK, I think.

When those leveling jacks go down in FL so don't the shots!!!

I know how you feel.  I would even consider an extra 100  miles or so by taking I-84 to I-77 and then I-95.  Probably about an hour and a half longer.  I would almost do anything to avoid what you indicated.

10 hours ago, dbenoit said:

What stinks is getting by CT, NY and past DC. After that it "should" be OK, I think.

When those leveling jacks go down in FL so don't the shots!!!

D, come down 84-87-287-78-476-95, depending on the time of day 476 can get jammed up, avoid rush hours. Otherwise DC is a non issue these days, many new highways through there. It gets backed up during rush hour in Quantico VA south of DC, If the express lanes are open south bound use it. 
hope you have an EZ PASS.
When we lived in PA that was my only traffic jamb in VA, I would come through there after 7pm, or between 10 and 3 otherwise no issues. 
STAY AWAY FROM THE GW BRIDGE. That area is miserable and the toll charges are extremely expensive.

Maryland is an exhausting drive, the scenery doesn’t change so you feel like your driving in circles.

you could come down 84-81-77 through Charlotte and cut over to 95, that will add around 100 miles, there’s nothing but a VERY LARGE MOUNTAIN, to climb up and go down on 77, Very scenic and beautiful! You will avoid Philadelphia, Wilmington DE, DC, Quantico. Depending on time and the added fuel cost. I can tell you that mountain is a tough one, went up and over it in my wife’s Ford Explorer several years ago, it struggled, never tried it in either of our coaches. Been down 81 more times than I can count headed to Tennessee. 

Edited by jleamont

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Joe, I-77, is that "Fancy Gap" Climb?  I read where it is 6 miles at 4.5 to 5% grade.  Long climb.

I came from 81 and that was worse than coming from Fancy Gap, the descend was toward Fancy gap wasn’t bad, getting there was tough. I always joked, our Motorhome won’t climb that hill if your Explorer struggled like that.

Like all the big climbs you just manually downshift. The biggest thing is outher traffic. You can get caught behind trucks or Explorers struggling up the hill. Just relax and enjoy the scenery. I drove most of the big hills with my last coach that only had a 300 hp ISB. I am working on repeating with this coach. This year I drove the Grapevine in Ca. and Raton in NM. Same problem slower traffic.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:43 AM, dbenoit said:

What stinks is getting by CT, NY and past DC

Last year we came down from the Providence area on I-95 to the Port Chester area and picked up 287 to the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge. Never use the George Washington Bridge. From there you can take I-78 South. Last year we went to the Lancaster area then to Western Pa. So Joe is the expert on south of there.

Bill

8 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Like all the big climbs you just manually downshift. The biggest thing is outher traffic. You can get caught behind trucks or Explorers struggling up the hill. Just relax and enjoy the scenery. I drove most of the big hills with my last coach that only had a 300 hp ISB. I am working on repeating with this coach. This year I drove the Grapevine in Ca. and Raton in NM. Same problem slower traffic.

Last year we came down from the Providence area on I-95 to the Port Chester area and picked up 287 to the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge. Never use the George Washington Bridge. From there you can take I-78 South. Last year we went to the Lancaster area then to Western Pa. So Joe is the expert on south of there.

Bill

Worst hill I’ve ever encountered was in the Appalachian Mountains in PA, our class c, down in 1st gear foot to the floor 15 mph, I was going to stop and have my wife hop in the toad and help push. I was afraid if I stopped I couldn’t get started again :lol:

Planning the route now. Thanks for the info. We leave the Cape at 4am on Friday. "Everything" is ready.

What do you think about getting around Baltimore? Can I go thru the 95 tunnel with propane?

DB, propane is limited to 10 pounds per bottle. Anything over 10 pounds is not allowed through the tunnel.

I'd wager your propane tank is over 10 pounds of propane.

4 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

DB, propane is limited to 10 pounds per bottle. Anything over 10 pounds is not allowed through the tunnel.

I'd wager your propane tank is over 10 pounds of propane.

I just topped it off.

They don't weigh it. If it is over a 10 pound bottle it is restricted, even if you say it is empty.

Take the bridge.

Well, there is an upside to my front cap damage. The MH will be in the body shop for at least a month; with present diesel fuel prices, I'll be able to save enough money not buying fuel to pay all out-of-pocket expenses.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, wildebill308 said:

So they are going to fix it not total it. 

Bill

Yes, that's the plan so far. latest estimate is $13K. I spoke with the adjuster this morning. We're awaiting word from the body shop to take it to them.

Edited by rayin

13 hours ago, rayin said:

Yes, that's the plan so far. latest estimate is $13K. I spoke with the adjuster this morning. We're awaiting word from the body shop to take it to them.

So how do you feel about it?

Bill

One of the things I saw recently was that if you have an accident collect all the parts that you can.  The body shop may have a better chance at repair versus replacement.

Yes I picked up all the fiberglass parts and pieces and brought them home in the pickup bed. That was the first question the body shop asked, "did you save the pieces? Without them reconstruction is next to impossible, as new parts cannot be found".

wildbill, All the damage is below the windshields as far as the  body shop can determine before the damaged fiberglass parts are removed. I'm confident once the fiberglass damage is repaired and repainted, repairs will be undetectable to the average person. Of course a body man will be able to see repairs have been performed.

A side note; the shop owner told me working with fiberglass was easy for his crew, as most of them were MH owners.