hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

Not sure if there is a particular place to mention this, so I'll just post it here...

We have sold our vintage coach and will now be doing all our traveling in our nearly-vintage Airstream. Going to be quite the change going from a diesel pusher to a trailer, but the lower maintenance requirements will be a blessing. 

Sad to see it go, but looking forward to the upcoming trips we have planned this spring & summer.

Richard, with the lower maintenance costs you can take your friends to more expensive restaurants.

Happy trails!

22 hours ago, jleamont said:

Richard, I don’t blame you, makes sense from a cost standpoint!

That's for sure!  We've been stranded in Grants, NM, for two weeks awaiting emission control parts.  Over the years, we've had three check engine lights, and when the dust settles on this one, the total costs will be pushing $25k.

For me it wasn't the cost of the maintenance, it was that doing it myself requires a strong back (which I no longer have). Didn't want to be one of those guys who held onto a vintage vehicle long beyond when I could properly take care of it and watch it rot into the ground. Better it goes off to someone else that can enjoy it and take proper care of it.

To be honest, I do miss the simplistic side of our gas coach. Yeah the DP comfort is amazing when parked and driving. But the stress and anxiety of what could break and maintenance costs outweigh the comfort IMHO. 

Well that was an interesting road trip south. Did good with the routes not so good on the gas.

The KOA in Kissimmee was great for us, excellent "base camp". Kids had fun at Disney but I 

was not impressed. 

On 5/16/2022 at 11:54 AM, wildebill308 said:

What is wrong with your emission control parts/system?

Bill 

We got a check engine light after climbing from PHX to Flagstaff (1,100' to  7,000').  The fan came on several times, but it never over heated.  Called Freightliner and DD, both said take it to Freighliner in Albuquerque to get checked.  ABQ would be happy to help us in 18 days.  Got a recommendation for a big rig repair shop in Grants, NM.  

Basically the SCR is not working correctly along with some other issues.

The diagnosis is to replace the "One Box."  One of the serious problems is the DD is configured with all emission controls permanently attached to the One Box.  Other engines, Cummins, Cat and probably others, have all components in the One Box accessible and can be changed individually.  With all the components attached to the DD's One Box, the entire Box must be changed.  It is about 3' x 3' x 3' and 150 pounds.  On my Eagle it goes in the far rear basement, curb side.

They ordered one, got it half installed and found it was cracked, so they ordered another.  We've been here over two weeks and have another two to go.
Edited by five

I had that happen climbing into Montana. Called the nearest Cummins dealer and they said come on in. They put there computer on the system and said it was one hit of the EGR. They said it was due to the change of altitude.  Cleared it and it was a year later I had to have the EGR replaced.

Hope all goes well.

I love when someone that hasn’t been on here much, all the sudden decides to hop onto 2+ year old posts and chime in with gibberish that’s useless. 🤦‍♂️ 

off my soap box now 😤 

52 minutes ago, jleamont said:

I love when someone that hasn’t been on here much, all the sudden decides to hop onto 2+ year old posts and chime in with gibberish that’s useless. 🤦‍♂️ 

off my soap box now 😤 

Which one? I see lots of gibberish, I have been told I was full of gibberish.😁

36 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

Which one? I see lots of gibberish, I have been told I was full of gibberish.😁

Some may disagree with you that it is something besides gibberish that you are full of.

Oh, we do have to meet some day, eh?

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Some may disagree with you that it is something besides gibberish that you are full of.

Oh, we do have to meet some day, eh?

Yes we do. 

That sounds like hi praise coming from a MSgt, USMC (Ret). I have always heard they were experts at being full of.  😉

By the way thank you and all those who served. Especially to those who gave all.

Bill

7 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

What happened to the FMCA page for TOAD vehicles?
Am I missing something?

8th down under Technical.

My 2022 Chevrolet Equinox is 4 wheels on the ground towable, but it needs a charge line. If you get one, suggest you use a heavy duty connection just like the one on the rear of your RV on both ends. You can order a heavy duty cable from Amazon that has the 7 pin plug on both ends. The ground is #10, +12 is #12, and the other 5 are #14 wire. 

So, I renewed my FMCA Membership for 1 year.

However, the information I received in letter form says:

PAY THIS AMOUNT

1 year - $50 SAVE $25
2 year - $100 SAVE $45
3 year - $150 BEST DEAL SAVE $55

What am I missing here. I would have signed up for 3 years but I just don't follow the math!

Edited by wayne77590

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

So, I renewed my FMCA Membership for 1 year.

However, the information I received in letter form says:

PAY THIS AMOUNT

1 year - $50 SAVE $25
2 year - $100 SAVE $45
3 year - $150 BEST DEAL SAVE $55

What am I missing here. I would have signed up for 3 years but I just don't follow the math!

Must be the new math! :D

I did receive a reply from FMCA basically stating that the savings were from the old prices, like a single year being $75 back then.

They probably need to look at the wording. I personally found it confusing. But hey! $50 is still a good deal.