dbenoit

Destination- Nova Scotia bound

Starting the planning on going to Nova Scotia in 2019. Anyone have any favorite campgrounds there with 50 amp and full hook up?

And I will be finally dragging the toad. It will be all driving, no ferries. We live in NH so the ride "should be" good.

Thanks, David

I've read a few posts on the toad needing brakes. How about if using a tow dolly with surge brakes? Is that sufficient?

I can't seem to locate any info on that. Thanks.

Check the brake requirement in Canada.  Some years ago when my friend was delivering boats on trailers and rv trailers to Canada he was not allowed to enter the country without having brakes on all axles.

5 hours ago, DBenoit said:

How about if using a tow dolly with surge brakes? Is that sufficient?

I would say yes. In most provinces supplemental brakes are required on anything towed over 2000#. 1500# in some.

Regarding desertdeals post above, commercial trailers requirements are totally different, more stringent, and don't apply to you.  

Looks like I might need to throw a dart at the map, closet campground wins. Of course need the proper set up. Preferably 50a, but looking around

might be 30a. And "very  close" to salt water.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:52 AM, IanBullock said:

I would say yes. In most provinces supplemental brakes are required on anything towed over 2000#. 1500# in some.

Regarding desertdeals post above, commercial trailers requirements are totally different, more stringent, and don't apply to you.  

He was delivering new pleasure boats and rv trailers not commercial trailers.

David.

Just did a seminar by Fantasy Tours!  RV parks in the Maritimes are not like the lower 48, more rustic and don't expect 50A all the time...cooler up there, so most are 30A.

In ref.  Toad break requirement?  You can get that online or ask Ian, he lives there!

8 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

He was delivering new pleasure boats and rv trailers not commercial trailers.

They where not his so it was commercial  as he was being paid ??

Apples & Oranges.  Back to private coach, toad & David.  Since I'm going up there next year, I'll need a definitive answer also! :P

On 7/2/2018 at 6:47 AM, DBenoit said:

I've read a few posts on the toad needing brakes. How about if using a tow dolly with surge brakes? Is that sufficient?

I can't seem to locate any info on that. Thanks.

I believe the brakes on the tow dolly will be enough. I used a tow dolly on one trip to Canada and had no problem. 

Bill

Agree!  Plenty of Canadians in Texas, with Dollys every winter & they got to be Canada legal both ways! :rolleyes:

Doing a little Google research it appears there may be provincial requirements regarding braking and break away requirements. There must be some Canadian FMCA members on this forum that could answer the questions...heh?

On 22/07/2018 at 8:47 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I believe the brakes on the tow dolly will be enough. I used a tow dolly on one trip to Canada and had no problem. 

Bill

You are correct.  Many folks other than RVers also rent tow dollies with surge brakes from Uhaul to tow their car behind their Uhaul truck as they move across Canada. 

Thanks Ian. Now I don't have to worry about that. Next step is finding a decent campground. I've looked up quite a few.

Getting ready to get this party started. Any very close to ocean campground recommendations out there? 

Looks like August.

Thanks,

David

On 7/3/2018 at 10:54 AM, DBenoit said:

Still need to pick out a campground. 

Nova Scotia campgrounds

IN 2014 our SMART caravan stayed at 7  CG's in Nova Scotia, none were bad IMO.

IMO the best oceanfront CG was Cove oceanfront campground at Parkers Cove, NS. FWIW there is a large Lobster factory about 1/2 mile walk from the CG.  We made the walk 3X the 3 days we stayed there. The fishery had a live 16# lobster when we were there buying lobsters.

EDIT: I almost forgot the lobster factory will even boil them for you if you wish.

EDIT #2: Roger Moore- 007 on irv2.com  has a thread about previously leading caravans to the Canadian Maritimes if you wish to read his information.

Thanks Ray. Cove looks good. I also read through 007's thread. This is going to be a fun trip. When I looked up directions they showed taking the ferry. We won't be doing that

since we are driving there from NH. Too bad there is no caravan in August 2019 that I have heard of.

David, 

If you are up for a side trip to PEI, very nice RV park not far from Summerside, right on the ocean. In fact 3 beaches surround it. Check out Twin Shores Campground at  https://www.twinshores.com

Large park, full hookups,  50 amp. Lots of activities,  sightseeing, fishing,  beaches, golf, etc. 

Wow. Both campgrounds recommended look excellent. I think we will do both NS and PEI. Seeing we will be in the area for 6 days. Thanks