dbenoit

Destination- Nova Scotia bound

On 8/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, DBenoit said:

I will exchange at a bank prior. I won't give my CC even .01%  I have a few weeks but already excited and prepping the MH.

I have a Discover card, they never charged me any type of fee for using the card in CA. Once in a while I would get cash back when making a purchase, just to have some in my pocket. There were some places that didn't take Discover though.

Anyone traveled Route 9 from Bangor, ME to the border at Calais, ME? I would like to know how the road is. It looks like

a decent route to take.

It has been a couple of years but it is not a bad road. It can save some time getting to Bangor

Lookes a lot like US-1. Just a heads up US-1 is ok in the coach US-1A only in the toad. 

Bill

Having logged over 4,000 miles in Eastern Canada, 85% at 40 to 55 mph, I can say that any road in the US is smooth compared to here!   You also become an expert in 30 amp coach management.  

We had C$800 and now less than C$150, every where takes Visa CC, have not been asked for a PIN # yet.  Rate has been 24 to 30%, currently 30%, so spending C$100 = US$70. For me, box wine, is cheaper here and better than home, Beer is more expensive and Spirit is more (according to friends)!  Average cost to eat out, C$70. We have consumed a lot of seafood chowder, lobster, mussel, cod fish and scallops! :D

Today we will walk on the floor of the ocean, at Bay of Fundy, NB...did the same in NS!  40' to 54' tide's!

We'll be leaving in about 10 days. Getting everything ready, had to rewire the tow dolly as the

mice had a snack over the past winter. I'll be towing the toad on the dolly for the first time.

Box wine is on the list, probably bring a bottle of Tequila. We will be traveling pretty light

until we cross the border, then stock up.

Tide in, tide out. That was a rough walk for me, I had torn a calf muscle a week prior to leaving home.

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Ray, we got the same photos, just in bright sunlight & 63 degrees!  Heading for St. Andrews today, looked at Reversing River & water Fall yesterday!  Will cross over to Main, Sunday am...trying to find a better way than 95 from boarder to past DC!  If there is one, please advice...

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray, we got the same photos, just in bright sunlight & 63 degrees!  Heading for St. Andrews today, looked at Reversing River & water Fall yesterday!  Will cross over to Main, Sunday am...trying to find a better way than 95 from boarder to past DC!  If there is one, please advice...

I will send you a PM

14 hours ago, manholt said:

One day we were watching the reversing river, and two guys were surfing the incoming waves, wearing wet suits of course. The high tide is amazing.

I tracked inland more to miss DC and NYC areas.  Seems like it was I 95 S, to I 84 E, to I 80, to I 71 S, to I 70 W,  was the route we drove to home-base. I would discourage driving I 70 through Indiana, rough interstate. Indiana is building the North end of the new section of I 69 at Indianapolis. I 465 on the East side of Indy is shut down this month.

We were there in DW's Jeep Wed.; at the junction of I 70 and I 65, traffic was backed-up for over 3-4 miles in all 4 directions since that is the only way  E or W to get though Indy this summer. The only way around Indy is the West side of I 465 from I 74 on the NE  side to  I 65 on the South side , unless you feel up to fighting the traffic jamb at I 65 and I 70 junction.

I would advise staying far away from  Indy if possible, you may stay up-to-date by using : https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/index.htm  and http://oss.weathershare.org/?Center=42.18529516716987,-122.097248046875&Zoom=8&Layers=CCTV,traffic This website is mainly for weather and road conditions, however it also has road work information.

Route Change. looking to stay on 95 to the border, overnight in Moncton NB. Need to get some extra miles in.

1 hour ago, DBenoit said:

stay on 95 to the border, overnight in Moncton NB

Where are you leaving from? That is a good days drive from the border to Moncton NB nearly 300 miles.

Bill

504 miles, 7.5 hrs not counting stops. Moncton is our target, but as long as I am a couple of hours past the border we might stop for the night sooner.

TCH is good from border to Moncton, however it's got construction on a lot of segments, speed limit is mostly 110kh=65 mph, towns are 80 kh to 40 kh.  Figure 10+ hours, your coach don't have my fuel capacity!  You can't use the truck lanes for diesel or gas...front pumps only.  You will also have a lot of traffic, most are going to PEI or Ferry's!

Thanks for the intel report. I'll probably need a day at the final destination to flush out the caffeine. 

On 8/20/2019 at 5:51 AM, manholt said:

When are you leaving?  I have been told that Labor Day weekend is as bad in NB & NS as States...

This Saturday morning. I have a couple of "important" questions:

Where to buy beer and wine? In NH it's at a grocery store, gas stations, etc.

Where to buy liquor? Here it's at a NH state liquor store.

Thanks

Left NH last night instead. Stopped for the night at a 24 hr service plaza outside Augusta. Towing the toad for the 1st time. I'm ready to rock.