Sign in to follow this  
gpippins

2003 Xc chassis track bar

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about where to find one cheaper than the $550 freightliner wants. Not much information on the internet about it. Bushings are worn and according to freightliner the track bar is not serviceable. Apparently the xc chassis is the only freightliner chassis that has this bar.

Thanks for calling me "G" That's what my friends call me. I'll keep looking, no luck yet. Found a used one in an rv salvage yard but they said it wouldn't be worth their time to remove it and sell it to me. Can you believe that?

21 minutes ago, gpippins said:

Thanks for calling me "G" That's what my friends call me.

Thanks for letting us know what to call you, my name is Kay, like the boy name Sue, makes us mean old men, LOL.:rolleyes: The big question would be, would you remove it for $550.00? That being said, will the salvage yard let you remove it for a reduced price?

HI G.  This is a picture of a new track bar from Freightliner. Most likely it is slightly different then the OEM one ? 

This link might help find what you are looking for. The page size can be enlarged - left side + an - Box. so one can read the information.

Think You will need some specific information to see if they can match up what you need.

Dayton Parts, LLC

345-714 to 354-7136

Numeric Listing

https://cld.bz/bookdata/uCKGlPu/basic-html/page-1113.html

https://cld.bz/bookdata/uCKGlPu/basic-html/page-1113.html#

This is an Ebay link for one, But structural dimensions are critical for the part and the total length adjustment affect handling and alignment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni-rod-Kit/253656431499?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52475%26meid%3Dba774b0fab8d4e679dad5828d30f22b8%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D142160049107%26itm%3D253656431499&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Rich.

NOTE. This item needs to be installed properly to maintain proper alignment !!! Frightliner_XC_series_Track_Bar.JPG

7 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

What is the purpose of the track bar?

The track bar (aka Panhard rod) locates the axle to chassis in a side to side dimension.  It allows for full up/down movement but restricts side to side movement between the two.

Said another way, an air bag without it would allow the coach to shift left/right  vs the axlewith every bump and turn.

5 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Okay, just call me dummy. What is the purpose of the track bar? (Duh!)

They are used to center the chassis over the front Axle. There is a reference point used at both ends of the axle and when they are equal, the axle is centered on the frame.  Who uses what method depends on the setup.

Rich.

"G" take your bar to a NAPA or similar parts house. They can match the Tie Rod Ends. One is right hand and the other is left hand threads. You only need the ends.

Then be sure and have the coach aligned after replacing them

Herman 

I don't know of any tie rod ends that are fit such that there is a through bolt.

But, it is possible that a suspension shop could find bushings to fit.

The other item that fails is the grease retainer that surrounds the  mounting bushing.  

The proper level and ride height must be attained before removing the track bar. 

Rich.

I reached out to a friend in the RV suspension business.

He did not know of any "bushings only", but suggested you contact:  Supersteer maybe John could help him.