richard5933

Hints and tips for travel along I-90 from Milwaukee to Gillette

Question

We're going to be heading out I-90 from the Milwaukee area to Gillette in a few weeks along a route through Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. We've never been further down that route than Rochester and would love some feedback on the route, places to stop and visit, etc.

Our plan is to make three overnight dry camping stops on the way to Gillette, so we'll have plenty of time to stop and do some sight seeing. We really enjoy walking around interesting old towns, doing some antique hunting, and hiking, and any suggestions would be welcome. Right now we're planning to stop near Rochester MN, near Sioux Falls SD, near Wall SD, and then finally arrive in Gillette. Our drive home will probably be done in just two and a half days with just two overnight stops.

Since our coach does not have Jake brakes (yet) I'm also curious if there are any stretches of this route that we need to be aware of.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Richard,

Around Mitchell SD is the Corn Palace, Wall Drug in Wall, SD, Mount Rushmore  and the Crazy Horse Monument at Rapid City, Sturgis  and Devils Tower just a bit North Pine Haven. You could make Devils Tower on a day trip from Gillette.

Hope to see you on Thursday the 19th. 

Herman

Thanks Herman. Wall Drug was on our list as a possible dry camping spot. I had seen their gravel lot listed on Overnightrvparking.com. Didn't realize it was such a tourist attraction, so I'm glad that you pointed that out. Looks like there is more to stop and see than even the three days will allow.

There are also the Bad Land an amazing geological hindrance to those settling the West. Oh there is way more to see than what has been listed here and will take you some serious time to see. It is like going from western Arizona to Florida for us. We thought two weeks would be adequate, nope it should have been a month, so much to see. It will be easy to take a day at Crazy Horse to see the museum, now nearly ten years old and the "Crazy Horse", another day to see Mt. Rushmore and several more days to see the "Park" areas around rapid City to say nothing about Sturgis, Deadwood and the other small towns. As you approach Rapid City on I 90 take exit 131 south and at least drive through the Bad lands. It is a good road no big hills but the scenery amazing.

The Rapid City area has a lot to offer as Bill Edwards mentioned. If you have the time going or coming follow Bills reccommendations. At the very least visit Mt. Rushmore. 

2 hours ago, obedb said:

Re: Jake Brake / shouldn't have any problems  on 90 to Gillette. 

Thanks - that was my major reason for the post. I appreciate the travel tips, but not knowing the terrain the safety factor was my larger concern. I used http://flattestroute.com/ and didn't see anything that looked to be more than a 4% grade but thought it best to confirm.