klparker

Slides will not retract

2001 Itasca, two slides.  The large slide will not always retract, and once the bedroom would not.  I usually have to use the retract button several times to get it to retract.  I can hear it trying to retract but I don't hold it a long time.  When you store your motorhome for a period of time, should slides be extended or retracted?

KL Parker

KL --

I had a similar problem with my passenger side slide that it would sporadically not retract until finally a few months ago it completely failed to retract.   The cause of the problem was a failing and then totally failed Lippert brand slide-out control module --> https://store.lci1.com/control-sensing-140-1163

When not in use, I keep my motorhome at a nice, two year old covered storage facility (each spot is 50 feet long).  The spacing between spots does not allow slide-outs to be extended for long periods of time.   There are many, many, "snow birds" and construction contractors in Texas who have their slide-outs extended for months, even years, at a time so I don't think it matters if slide-outs are extended or not during storage.

Hope this helps!

What model Itasca? I assume hydraulic powered slides? Do you run your MH engine when operating slides?  If so,,  have you checked your coach batteries? Sounds like a voltage issue to me.

2 hours ago, klparker said:

2001 Itasca, two slides.  The large slide will not always retract, and once the bedroom would not.  I usually have to use the retract button several times to get it to retract.  I can hear it trying to retract but I don't hold it a long time.  When you store your motorhome for a period of time, should slides be extended or retracted?

KL Parker

KL, Could you offer some  information on the model number and if is a Hydraulic or electric controller, also- whose system, HWH, Power Gear, LCI or other?

Rich. 

That's your issue, not enough juice in your batteries. Hydraulics will drain a fully charged battery in no time, never mind one that's down. 

Start you coach and try again.

The leveling/room extension system is an HWH 310 series and instructions state that ignition should be on accessories.  However, we will certainly try it with engine on.

My coach (2002 Winnebago) manual states to run jacks and slides with the engine running.  Makes sense to me because the voltage will be higher (13.6 to 14.4) than when not running (12.7 maximum) which means less current needed to run the pump AND less heat in the pump.

Lenp

Since it's a HWH system.  You might want to take it to Cummings (Authorized dealer), have them check the Mother Board.  My 2007 WB Tour, had 2 that went bad in 5 years! 

With engine running the slide works fine - tried it 3 days in a row with no problem.  Thanks to everybody for your input.

Have a new concern now, have a 330 caterpillar diesel, engine wants to keep running when I turn ignition switch off.  Any idea what is happening.  Thanks 

9 minutes ago, klparker said:

Have a new concern now, have a 330 caterpillar diesel, engine wants to keep running when I turn ignition switch off.  Any idea what is happening.  Thanks 

Do the gauges stay on?  Allison shift pad stay illuminated? If so, more likely an ignition solenoid or ignition switch issue than anything to do with the engine.

The better you describe what is and is not happening the better we can help.