Sign in to follow this  
2drifters@trekdrifters.com

LCD HDTV Reception

I am somewhat confused as to what my next step should be regarding our entertainment system. We currently have a 19' Samsung LCD TV with a analog tuner. There is also a surround sound system in our rig. We did get a converter box, but it does not seem to be working. I followed the hook up directions sent with the converter box. I am considering purchasing a 22' LCD HDTV with a built-in digital tuner. I currently have a Winegard crank up antenna and someday, when I get the money, hope to purchase a DirectTV satellite dish. Am I heading in the right direction? I would appreicate any advice that you care to share with me - thank you! :rolleyes:

My 2007 unit came with a digital tv in front and an analog in the bed room. I will be purchasing a 22" digital for the bedroom.

In my research I've settled on a 22" Toshiba from ebay. This unit will also be used for outside viewing as it is light weight.

Two swivel exact same mounts will be used to mount in the 2 different locations. The antenna in the coach with the addition

of the new winguard wing from Camping World works fine for digital viewing. Hope this helps some.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm really surprised that the converter box is not working. It is the first time I have heard of a new one not working. Recheck all the connections and make sure it is between the amplifier and the tv. I'm assuming that you are trying the converter box in the Bedroom with the 19" analog. The antenna from the amplifier goes to the converter input and the output goes to the tv. If you are trying to go through the Wineguard distribution center, try going directly to the tv. If that works then the problem is in how the distribution center is wired. Also, since the converter is Infra Red, you will have to have line-of-sight to change the channels.

The batwing I have on my MH is sufficient for receiving the digital channels. I have heard that there is an addition that you can attach to the batwing that will improve reception. I do not know how it works. Most likely it is tuned for the present "temporary" frequencies of the digital signals. Eventually a good VHF antenna will be the only thing needed when the frequencies come back into the VHF spectrum.

One of the things to consider here is that digital signals are weaker, don't travel as far as analog signals. Unlike analog where you get a static filled picture with weak signal. With analog signal if it is too weak you get no picture at all. If you are in a fringe area, your converter box may be working but you may not be getting a strong enough signal to get picture. This could even be the case if you were getting good pictures with the analog signal.

We have a standard bat wing antenna and find it can pick up only a few of the stations we were able to get with analog TV. I have seen the Winegard add on and would try it when it is available in stores. Our local Camping World doesn't stock it in store so we would have to pay shipping also. If anyone has had experience with this add on antenna I would like to hear how it affects reception.

I have the wineguard add on antenna and it did not seem to do anything for me. No increase in signal at all. I would not waste your money.

Thanks, appreciate you sharing your experience.

Guest Wayne77590

Wow! This subject can be very, very broad.

On June 12th the switch over is "supposed" to be complete. That is, all tv stations will be broadcasting in the new digital format. After that date, some tv stations will begin broadcasting digital on the VHF frequencies and others will broadcast on the UHF frequencies. The VHF frequencies as we know them now are channels 2-13, and the UHF are channel 14 and higher.

A special antenna is not needed to receive digital tv. However, with that said, the better quality antenna the better quality tv picture. In the past, with analog television, a distant station may come in "snowy." With the new digital signals, it is all or nothing. So the better the antenna, the better you will be able to receive digital television. Until the switchover on June 12th, I am holding off buying any add on antenna parts until I know what the better system will be.

You can do a Google search on "sepcial digital tv antenna," without the quotes and come up with a bunch of different hits.

This web site may be a good place to start; Choosing An Antenna for Digital TV and the link they provide to "antennaweb.org" may be of further help.

For the time being, I'm gong to use a coat hanger and a skinned back piece of coax cable and see what I get.

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this