Sign in to follow this  
jtbags

US 93 Missoula, MT to Arco, ID

Question

11 answers to this question

I figure that with our tow we are about 56 feet. Dragging an F150 would make you longer. If a route is not marked for commercial vehicles I tend to be cautious. I have been known to contact people in the know such as the Sherriff's office or the nearest State Police office. They are usually very nice and helpful. Probably would be a pretty ride. Running right along the Salmon River.

The long way around to Arco ( 28 to 22 )  adds maybe 35 or so additional miles.

There is a stretch from Salmon to Ellis (36 miles) that is not marked for commercial (large) vehicles.  Are you actually  headed to Arco or else where? At forty feet total who knows? 

Thanks "obedb."  I should have written my question more clearly.  Our rig is a 2003 40ft Phaeton + tow just like yours, except our toad is a Ford F150 P/U.  We had noticed that our trucker's Atlas had a section that was not highlighted for truck use, but wondering if anyone might have actually driven it.

Yes, we would be driving all the way to Arco to visit the nearby National Park.

Thanks again.

I can't help you  the drive in because we came into Arco from the south, we stayed in Arco than drove tow to Carters Of Moon park. I am writing let you know of a place you may want to visit while there. It is about 20 miles south of Arco It is the Worlds First Nuclear Power Plant EBR1 it is open for tours. We found it interesting.

Jerry

On 7/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, jerrycarp said:

I can't help you  the drive in because we came into Arco from the south, we stayed in Arco than drove tow to Carters Of Moon park. I am writing let you know of a place you may want to visit while there. It is about 20 miles south of Arco It is the Worlds First Nuclear Power Plant EBR1 it is open for tours. We found it interesting.

Jerry

Definitely worth a stop. During the summer months they have guided tours.

ERB-1

I am now interested enough in the area that I took a short look at available rv parks. They would know about the questioned stretch of US93. Looks too good to pass up. If you have the time, find one to try, and ask or explore with your F-150. Please let us know. The Idaho Panhandle is very scenic.

By the way/ I-90 across the northern panhandle/ Wallace/ was the  last town to be finally routed around the last stop light on the forth longest Interstate in our country. I-90 Happened into national news that night in 1991. CBS I think. Being a trucker that had been through Wallace , it hit home with me.

Kinda clumsy, but hopefully you all understood it. 😉

Perhaps we will here from the OP, but let me guess (only a guess): the restricted stretch is closed to tractor trailers because it is an ideal area for tourists and RVers  Follows the Salmon River within view of the highway. Gotta be a stretch where big trucks are not welcome because of the beauty. I have traveled to Missoula from the Idaho Falls  area on 28/US93 in an 18 wheeler. Never in an RV. Maybe I can still get out there if Betty finally gets better. 

I used to drive this often in a 60' semi. That was years ago and it was OK for me. I would think the road would be a little better today and they probably haven't made the US 93 highway any steeper etc.