Allbrite

Class A towing trailers

Hi all, Getting a 39' diesel pusher this coming Monday. I have a question. Trying to decide whether to find a vehicle to tow behind it, or get a 22' tilt trailer

which would expand my options for hauling several different vehicles. For the cost of tow bars, brake systems, lighting systems, it's not too much difference

in cost to purchase a good tilt trailer. Brakes, lighting, tow bar, all taken care of, not to mention NO MILES put on vehicle. Part of my decision is that I would like the

option to haul either a larger street bike, or a Japanese Mini (Kei) Truck with me as well as a drive around vehicle - my thoughts were maybe a 4x4 Ford F-150.

Is there anyone out there who tows the equivalent of a 22-24' trailer ? Do you find towing it behind a 39-40' Class A, that you bottom the trailer out often on uneven terrain ?

Problems getting onto trailer parks, campgrounds ? Any advice is appreciated.

Allbrite.  Welcome to the Forum!

Need some information.  Make, Model, Year of DP.  10,000 or 15,000 pound hitch rating?

I much prefer towing a trailer over any other method, and I do own a 20 ft car hauler, but there some drawbacks. I'm sure that there others but here a few.

1. Although most patrolmen seem to not pay too much attention, there is always a chance there is one with a burr under his saddle, a 39' pusher plus a 24' trailer = 63' plus there is a tongue also to be accounted for, and most states have a maximum length of anywhere of 50 to 65', home state rule doesn't apply here, you are their state and must obey all of that states rules.

2. Where will you park it while at a campground? Yes there are some that have adequate space, but they are getting harder to find. You can probably rent another space, or find a mini warehouse that will rent space.

Well I said several, that's only two. The F150 4X4 sounds like a good choice, just make sure that the one you choose can be towed 4 down, and make sure that the hitch and the coach can handle the weight associated with either choice. Welcome to the forum and may you find many happy tales and trails in the RV world.B)

You did ask about bottoming out, I have never bottomed out my trailer, as it was designed well, and uneven terrain I hope will never be a factor because you will need to be observant of this while driving your coach anyway. There are entrances and exits everywhere that must be avoided because of their nature were not designed for any long vehicle. There many service stations that you will need to avoid, but many also can accommodate you, learn to watch for those as you drive up to them, if it doesn't look like it will fit, don't even try it.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't see any information about where you're located, but be sure to also check the DMV in your state to be sure that the combine weight and/or length doesn't push you into the requirement of a higher class of driver license. Some states are starting to require a non-commercial Class A or B for the longer/heavier rigs.

I have towed a 24 foot Featherlite many miles with a 40 Safari Zanzibar or 43 foot Safari Panther and live in Colorado. Kay is right, always could be the element of you are too long. I in addition I use a "Trailer Toad" to keep the weight off the coach tongue and that adds another 3 feet. There is no bounce from uneven terrain created by the trailer even when loaded heavy,8,000 pounds plus. Toad has a live axle which is great. I also converted the trailer to disc brakes and when loaded heavy it will stop the coach not fast but a lot faster than the supplied  "whoa" drum brakes. As for bottoming out a long trailer, yes and soon i installed rollers at the rear. Adding the Trailer Toad eliminated the issue. 

I have seldom had problems with space to park as we always call ahead to avoid that issue. Then again we dry camp more than we use campgrounds. Sometimes we have just unhooked and parked the trailer by itself. Fueling has it's issues too but planning pays off. Sometimes it is tight, but as a good driver with good perception and spacial awareness one can get in many places others would avoid, just ask me how I know!

I have two trailers depending on the needs and flat tow too

Have a great time and smell the roses.

9 hours ago, richard5933 said:

I don't see any information about where you're located, but be sure to also check the DMV in your state to be sure that the combine weight and/or length doesn't push you into the requirement of a higher class of driver license. Some states are starting to require a non-commercial Class A or B for the longer/heavier rigs.

Yes, and home rule does apply for this issue, if legal in your state, it applies in the contiguous 47.

I have a 45' pulling a 22' trailer travelled through many States where my overall length is illegal.

Maybe just lucky, but not been stopped or found any issues in truck stops or any where come to that

My plan "B" is the car on the trailer is capable of puling the trailer if required, with ease.

Have found camp sites including State Parks know where you can leave the trailer if not on the site with you.

Farmers are a valuable resource for a place to leave a trailer for a few bucks a week.

No problem to date.

I would recommend a well appointed aluminium trailer with tilt deck.

manitraveller, While you have successfully towed through many states overlength there is an issue that you may have not considered  that may be more important that a simple ticket. If you happen to get into a wreck and are sued the opposing lawyer will eat your case alive.  

fpresto.

Prevost, Newell and Totters, all with 25' to 35' stacker  trailers!  All over the US and have never seen one pulled over by LEO's or in an accident.  All are 45'+, plus the trailers! :)  My coach has a 45' chassis, but the end cap & front cap, adds another 20 inches + the hitch!