peterk

1990 Oshkosh Chassis Cummins Diesel 28ft Gulf Stream

Hi

Can anybody kindly assist, Freightliner tell me the centre Propshaft support bearing / bushing is no longer available, but they heard a fleet client with the same chassis managed to locate the from NAPA. When I was living in Arizona I remember how helpful NAPA could be but now back in the UK I'm not having any luck. My question is simply has anybody within the club had a similar problem or possibly know where we can source a new one.

Also, Truck County Frieghtliner ( I think they're in SC) don't appear to answer our emails any longer, have the stopped supplying Oshkosh parts. ??? Does anybody have any suggestions for a new source please.

Next year we're going to need a new front axle King pin set, has anybody had any luck finding a source ?????

Very Best Regards to all

From   Peter & Rayne

Peter,  Your information is a little confusing. Driveshaft center carrier bearing, on this side of the pond are in the driveshaft of front engine  vehicles. because of the length of the shaft.

You coach series is XC-21-RDX. The R is for rear engine and the drive shaft is not that long.  The 21 means it is a 21,000 LB. chassis

So are you asking about a differential (pumpkin) Drive shaft carrier bearing inside that gear assembly or the Axle bearings ?

The internal bearings in many cases have a number stamped in them and that might help, but I would not go there until all other possibilities are exhausted.  

In that case you need the parts for the differential. They are made  by a different company that supplies them to the chassis builder as an Assembly. 

By companies like Rockwell and Meritor.  There should be some numbers on the  assembly on a tag or a casting number(s)

Rv Chassis like your are know as medium duty chassis.

Rich.

Hi Rich

Many thanks again for your help on this. Firstly please forgive my wording. (Two Countries separated by the same language I think I've heard it said before!!). But after 4yrs in Arizona I should know better.

OK, firstly our vehicle is front engine/rear wheel drive (chassis number:  4CB4XE28L2101312).

Front engine Mount, Trans and Rear Axle (A Puller) we have a Cummins 6BT fitted to a Allison Transmission fitted to Dana rear axle I think

The Propshaft I'm referring to is the Shaft connecting the Transmission to the Real Axle, its in two half's and between them is a Two bolt Chassis mounted support bushing its this support bushing we're trying to source as our is beginning to show signs of excessive movement.

Not sure how I can alter my original posting but I sincerely hope this explains more understandable details and I'm sorry for the confusion. The other items we're trying to source is a Front Axle King Pin set with Shims

Very best regards to all

Peterk

based in England

Br Peterk

Any good driveline shop should be able to accommodate you even if that bearing is obsolete, which is not likely. They can update with a newer or more popular style if it is.

Gary

2 hours ago, peterk said:

Firstly please forgive my wording

Propshaft or Propeller shaft is used for German car terminology also. I second what Gary said, any driveshaft, quality truck shop or truck parts house should be able to locate one that will fit. 

Rich,

Thanks for your email.

I can confirm our Vin # is  4CB4XE28L2101312. Many thanks for your comments, looks like we have finally sourced a Driveline company here in the UK for the replacement Propshaft Centre support bushing.

But still hunting to locate a supplier for a New Kinpin Kit with a Shim kit. If anybody has any suggestions we'd be most grateful for a lead.

My direct Email address is     peterkukla928@gmail.com

Best regards to all

Peter & Rayne

Peter,

Do you have the info off the axle plate-- most front axles have a plate with manufacturer, series and serial number.

Hi Carl, Peter's coach is parked in the UK. He was is the states for a time and then had it shipped across the pond> back a few years ago. That is from memory and at time it is a little dusty!

Thinking he also has relatives in Canada !

Rich.

Hi Wolfie

We replaced the Front Road Springs last winter (we needed our Cornflakes for that job) and I did not see a Axle plate attached, would you know where it is usually placed on the Axle. The Guys at Freight liner told me our chassis has a DANA 60 back axle is it possible we have a DANA front axle. ?????

Another humble question, does anybody have some detailed instructions on how replace the Front a rear Braake Rotors on a Medium Oshkosh chassis.

Best regards Peter

Carl

A little Background for you guys.

I lived in Arizona from 93 to 97, we loved it. We purchased our 28ft Gulf Stream on a 1990 Oshkosh Chassis in 2015 from a Farmer in Wales UK. It had been parked on a Beach in Portugal for about 5yrs. So.......  All four Brake Calipers siezed, all Chassis outriggers rotten. The FMCA Club has been a God send for us because nobody in the UK even knows what a Oshkosh chassis is, luckily I know and respect the history of these guys in the early 70's I worked in the Middle East a lot and frankly without Oshkosh Truck's we could never have worked in the Desert's they way we did. Simply amazing Truck's and when fitted with Ballon tyres would go anywhere, I saw one flip once on a very high Sand ridge, rolled 360 and landed baack on its wheels, we checked the Air filter and oil level and then fired it up and kept going.

FMCA helped locate a contact within Frieghtliner for Oshkosh parts BUT recently its gone dry, does anybody have any other reliable Oshkosh parts  contacts please.

So, its fair to say I'm a big fan of Oshkosh Trucks, we've fitted a LPG  / Diesel Gas conversion (we have a Cummins BT6)  I sourced from the US and we're getting a reliable 20 miles per gallon towing a Suzuki Jeep drive Car.

So to answer your direct question, we now live in England (Near Manchester), our Gulf Stream 28ft Motorhome lives with us here in the UK, and yes we'd love to visit the US again, I just love the people and the Country but its not practical to ship our Van to the US but possibly one day we'll try to rent one in the US and get on the road.

Can we again, say a very big thank you to you all for your interest and assistance in helping us source parts from the US.

All our thanks

Peter & Rayne

Peter, this might look a little off line from your issue, but it might offer some history and some timelines on the use of Oshkosh chassis in the RV industry. 

A number of them where used, might help you offer some help in pinning down some additional info. 

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/foretravel_history.html

Note- when I entered your ViN number it comes back as an air stream trailer. That angle has proven frustrating. Think the chassis your trucks where built on where SC series. That is a front engine series used for years.

Also, Brett asked if you could come up with some front axle numbers, any luck with that on your end?

Have a pint and I have a feeling the answer is out there.

Rich.

Take a look at this link, things might look similar and the info offers front axle tag information for this brand.

https://www.meritor.com/productsandservices/southamerica/sa_customerservice/Manual_Eixo_Dianteiro_2012-06_ING.pdf

DickandLois

I get your point completely, IF we don't make the effort what chance does the next generation have !!!

Have looked a both links you provided.

The Meritor axle is a Brake Drum assembly whereas our chassis has 4 Wheel Disk Brakes. As I've mentioned in previous comments I have the highest respect for Oshkosh product and yes I'll try my best to contribute meaningful information where I can.

What I can state clearly is when we took off the old Tired road springs last winter, the Pins & Bushings where like new, absolutely no wear absolutely none.

I'll keep trying to locate the front axle identification number

Best regards

Peter & Rayne

Your right, I can't open  it either!

Foretravel in Texas, built their coach on Oshkosh chassis for a long time....Since they are still in business and Service all their old brands...they may have your parts in stock!

I also did Saudi in the early 70's, as a Drilling Consultant. PIA.

Peter,

Go to colawrv.com  then click on Salvage RVs. That will take you to a list of all the salvaged RVs with pictures. You may have to go through quite a few pictures to find the unit you want. If you find the unit it will have a stock number on it. Then call them, ask for used parts and tell them what you need.

It's like giving chicken soup to a dead person, It may not Help but it Can't Hurt. :D

Herman

8 hours ago, peterk said:

Hi Wolfe 10

Many thanks for the link, but I'm getting an error it won't open.

Best regards

Peter & Rayne

Peter,

Interesting-- happening when I use that link as well.  But, I get to it just fine when I did a google search for: "Meritor front axle serial number location 1990 axle"

The very first link is to this Meritor downloadable PDF: https://meritor.com/productsandservices/.../Product Identification Guide.pdf

See if you can access it that way.

Well, finally a bit of progress and thank you all for your comments (especially Chicken Soup to a Dead person).

Wolfe 10,  I followed your comment and began digging through nearly 30yrs of Road Grime and FOUND the axle plate, exactly in the middle of the axle. So hopefully the following information will help us.

1990 Oshkosh

Front Axle Information of the Axle Plate

Manufacturer:  Rockwell International

Model:   2FC 901 CHX 11

Customer Number:   RE 41206

Serial Number:   NCA 90307306

Date:  90092

Look forward to your comments and suggestions where to next

Peter & Rayne

PETER,

Give that number to the shop that handled the driveline, they may have a source for those parts.

Gary

Rockwell= Meritor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritor

In 1997, Rockwell International spun off its automotive business as Meritor. In 2000, ArvinMeritor was formed from the merger of Meritor Automotive, Inc., and Arvin Industries, Inc.[2]

On February 1, 2011, it was announced that the company would revert its name to Meritor, Inc. at the Mid-American Truck Show in late March.[3] The name change was successfully completed and launched on March 30, 2011.

Peter, this is the  Meritor PDF file that covers the parts layout a contact number and what information is needed to match up items.

The catalog is extensive, but is broken down into the different parts by chapter / sections.

Think looking for a kingpin kit might be the best way to get all the parts needed to do a good repair!

I have not succeeded in finding a good cross index number using the information offered, the age of the parts and the likely hood of them not being entered into the current computer data base is a possibility . 

Think you can find what is needed.

Rich.

Meritor_front_axle_parts_PB8951_Eje_Frontal.pdf

This link might help as a contact for information.

https://www.meritor.com/Contact/default.aspx

You Guys are fantastic

A most sincere thank you to everybody for all your help and assistance. I'll keep you all advised on our progress.

Thank you all again and again, when you are this far away from the United States FMCA and its dedicated membership makes all the difference to every one of us.

Love to you all

Peter & Rayne