rcoon2

Inverter required for residential refrigerator

10 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Well maybe. One side is 110 only and the side the icemaker plugs into is powered by the inverter. Otherwise you couldn't make ice cubes when on gas and no shore power. ;)

Test it with all 110 off, shore power /generator check both outlets with a meter (make shure your inverter is on). Let me know what you find.

Bill

I'm with you on this Bill. If the icemaker continued to work when he was off the grid, the icemaker is getting power from somewhere.

6 hours ago, manholt said:

It's called inverter....Batteries to inverter to 110volts! :P

Yep...but he keeps saying there is no inverter outlet behind his existing refrigerator. There has to be....^_^

7 hours ago, manholt said:

It's called inverter....Batteries to inverter to 110volts! :P

Yes it is Carl. It will also pass 110 through if it is available.

Bill

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill.  If your off the grid...where do you get pass thru 110V ?

If off the grid and generator, the inverter starts inverting, (makes 120 volts out of 12 volts dc), that's why it is called pass through, if ac is available, it uses that, if none available then the inverter does it's thang.:D

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill.  If your off the grid...where do you get pass thru 110V ?

Let me help you Carl, If you are off the grid and you run the generator it will pass 110 through and not draw 12 V  off the batteries to make 110V. Hence the statement "It will also pass 110 through if it is available." :P

Bill

Yes, Bill, I know that and that is what I said, 13 hours ago! :P  Off the "Grid" to me = no Shore Power and No Generator!  If you can still get 110 volts, then it's by batteries & inverter or converter....12 volt to 110 volt. :P:)

Ok let me put this to rest. Just to be 100% clear I turned off shore power to the coach. I then checked for 110V at the only outlet in the refrigerator alcove, no voltage present at the outlet. Which of course means it is not serviced by the existing inverter (20D). I will concede that it makes sense for there to be at least on receptacle fed by the inverter for the ice maker, however reality disagrees! The refrigerator is in place and working wonderfully off shore power. I have inserted a Kill a watt meter to get a better idea of the peak wattage so i make an informed decision as to what size pure sine inverter to purchase. Probably going with an Aims 1200 watt inverter. Aims claims it was designed specifically for residential refrigerators in an RV. Price is right and installation is a snap. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, have a great day to all! Rick