shaneotr

TPO ROOFS VS. FIBERGLASS

We're hunting for an upgrade from our 2004 Winnebago Brave.  Not only are we having trouble finding a newer used coach with as much storage and room as ours does, I worry about treating and durability of a TPO roof on some we've considered as we are used to fiberglass roof.  Any thoughts?

Knowing  what size coach you have and what size your looking for would be a big help!  Stay with fiberglass...

Our old motorhome (38ft Residency) was 15 years old and had a TPO roof.  It never gave us any problems.  I used a pressure washer to keep it clean - it was a lot easier and did a better job of brightening it up than using a  scrub brush.

We are looking for a used 36'-38' class A coach to replace our 2004 Winnebago Brave that is wonderful but has 83,000 miles on it and we are wanting to explore the northwest and northeast and would like a more updated engine and newer stuff.  We are so spoiled with our Winnebago's fiberglass roof that doesn't need treating when we clean it.  So far we've had very good luck with Winnebago.  We've come across a very nice 2015 Bounder and a 2015 Challenger and they both have TPO roofs, something I am not familiar with at all.  Not to mention the unbelievably hard time we're having finding any coach that has the basement and interior storage, and galley that our 2004 has.  Sometimes I wonder if the designers and manufacturers ever use a RV to know what's actually needed in them!   Thanks for your responses.  Guess it's all a crap shoot in the end.

Not everything newer is better in fact many times it is costlier to fix what was left not done or ignored to save money or what not. Your "old" coach, you know and what is wrong with it, has better and more storage than what you have found. It has a better kitchen and so forth...you are trying to talk yourself into an unknown and to like the idea. I bought older because of simplicity in the designs not for the complexity of new and am loving every minute. The added electronics will not be making you very happy when you have to fix it. Good luck happy motoring, take the time to smell the roses.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:38 PM, shaneotr said:

We're hunting for an upgrade from our 2004 Winnebago Brave.  Not only are we having trouble finding a newer used coach with as much storage and room as ours does, I worry about treating and durability of a TPO roof on some we've considered as we are used to fiberglass roof.  Any thoughts?

I would be more concerned about the floor plan. Either roof will work if properly maintained.

Bill

Why do you want a newer coach?  Bigger, longer, more slides?  Upgrade to diesel?

Sounds to me, your looking for a newer interior....have you thought about re modeling what you have?  You can  save a ton of money!!

I’m with RSbill, newer especially in the RV industry is not better! The quality in workmanship, engineering and materials dropped 10+ years ago and never came back. I’d take a new coach if it was free and and only keep it if I wasn’t allowed to sell it. 

We looked at all the RV's presented here in Gillette at the FMCA Rally!  Lot's of "Bling".  We decided to keep what we got and remodel both coaches!  Mine first, since I just had the RV Armor roof put on and close to $12K earlier this year!  TCC is my choice...hoping to get about half or all done in Oct. Linda is having both eyes (cataract) done...no travel for 7 weeks!  

New coach after trade = $220K....Re model mine +/- $40K !  Linda's = $18K +/-

On 7/22/2018 at 7:09 AM, manholt said:

We decided to keep what we got and remodel both coaches!

SMART!! Very smart! 

Spend a little on solar so you can dry camp with us and save away from the maddening crowd and have some breathing room. Since you like the West, there are a meriod of places to visit where there are no fees attached and fewer people. I am not anti social as you know, but like the wide open places and spaces and vistas.

I should have listened to you all.   We traded the 2004 Brave for a 2015 Suncruiser.   Everything is different, nothing seems to work right...it's bigger,  I love the counter space but the storage is much less, and we are so frustrated with how to get all the "bling" to work.  I think it will be a great coach for us if we don't both have heart attacks getting it repaired, replaced, restored, and figure out how to use everything.   Our Brave never even made it to be displayed on the lot.  They sold it hours after we drove away with this huge paperweight!