rvhd

Which is the best flat towing vehicle?

New to these Forums, Not sure what words to search under this subject.  So many things come up.  I have a Jayco Class C Greyhawk and looking to tow something fun and easy to when flat towing.   I read somewhat that the Jeep is good. So may vehicles to look at.  Just looking for the easiest setup and add some fun.  Any ideas?

Jeep Wrangler, gives you a lot of options!  If you want comfort, Lincoln!  Fuel economy, try a Cooper!

I just bought a Jeep Wrangler (2000) model 4 wd because of the simplicity. I found a Roadmaster stowaway tow bar on ebay. Will start the M&G brake assist install Monday.

However, it's only good on blacktop...no back woods trails.  Not against it. :)  One day, I will miss the solitude of the backwoods, sand dunes and dessert.  Linda feels the same way!  :(

I will have to research some Jeeps,  CR reports tells us some of the good and bad years of vehicles. I am sure that will be helpful.  

rvhd.

If you get a 4 door, buy a used one.  Wrangler Trail is best. Mine is a 2 door & it cost me $23,500 new, a Rubicon would have been $41,000+....I spent $9,000 on mine and it's better than a Rubicon! :P  

We're  partial to the 2016+ Chevy Colorado, 4 door Crew Cab, 4 x 4.  lots of room for you and your friends, lots of room in the bed for your golf clubs or whatever.

Been there, done that, twice!  I agree with you and have been looking for another used one, as an alternative!  Last one was a 2012, with a ARE camper shell (made it look like a SUV) and a slide out (like I have in bay) for my golf stuff. :wub:

One day, when we don't have a license anymore, we can take the top of the jeep's and tool around the ranch!  Linda can pick you up...:PWe'll let you keep you'rs in the shed or barn also!  Got to pre-plan these things.  If Brett had planed better, his Dad, would be tooling around a private Go Track, while waiting on 102 to come around...happy belated 101 !!!:)

Heading out today to drive the Jeep 2 door and the 4 door and compare.  I have 2014 High Country Silverado to sell and I will miss the truck but don't utilize it anymore.   I will miss that but will take a look at the Colorado 16 and above.  Back in the day I had a 79 Jeep CJ7 and then a 81.  Miss those fun jeep times. 

Carl, Kay what years best on the Jeep as an older one. Want to begin looking too. V6 Tracker works fine off road in slow speed and around town  use but highway not much enjoyment.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:13 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I tow a 2014 CR-V easy and I don't know it is back there.

Bill

Ditto, same make same model.  Never go wrong with a Honda product.

Bill, how do you shift the transmission on the CRV to flat tow it? Keon is shopping for a new toad and asked me. Since we don't tow our CRV I have no idea... and ours is AWD, 2008. He wants a Wrangler but his DW doesn't trust him with one :lol:

We have only towed Wranglers, this is our 5th Wrangler 3rd as a toad, no issues, we love the versatility and the ease of connecting, especially with the M&G brake system, its literally, connect the breakaway cable and plug in the air line and the brakes are all done, 2-3 minutes and we are one the road again especially with NO base plate, I hardly have to lean down other then the safety cables :wub:

I am seeking out an older 4 door 2007-2011 full soft top with soft top 1/2 doors for a Hemi or a 5.9L Cummins conversion, leaning towards the Hemi. 

2 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Carl, Kay what years best on the Jeep as an older one. Want to begin looking too. V6 Tracker works fine off road in slow speed and around town  use but highway not much enjoyment.

I've towed a tricked out 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport, Auto, for probably 10,000 miles with no issues. I also have towed a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport JKU, 4 door, automatic with no issues.

5 hours ago, jleamont said:

Bill, how do you shift the transmission on the CRV to flat tow it?

Just shift into neutral from drive only. Check the owner's manual for his year and model. 

Bill

CRV 2014 or earlier only! 

Stay away from Wrangler 2009 or you'll need a battery disconnect and an auxilary light set up!  PIA.  

Joe.  Hemi....to much dust & you have a problem with the diesel.  If you go with a Hemi on a Wrangler, you'll need a DANA 44 front axle $2,200 & that includes the suspension!  You also may have to re gear it.  I think an old Rubicon would work out better. Give a call to AEV...they did the conversions until 2015!  Not anymore.  But  you can find some used ones on line!

Bill E.  Just about any year will do.  The stick 4 cylinders, are about impossible to find and a good CJ7 will cost $$$.