fagnaml

Public Eye Sores -- Decrepit Motorhomes

On my daily drive home from work, I pass by the Walmart near Katy Mills Mall / Katy, TX which is located on the far west side of Houston on the south side of I-10.    Since last Wednesday a 1990's era (I'm guessing) Holiday Rambler diesel pusher and even older looking small Winnebago Class C have been parked on the east side of the Walmart parking lot for all of the motoring public to see.   The condition of both motorhomes is horrible with no apparent pride by their owners to do even a small amount of maintenance.  The Holiday Rambler DP has a shredded awning, moldy roof and side walls, missing compartment doors and was "listing" badly to the passenger side.   The small Winnebago looks even worse with a couple of plywood windows, a few parts of what was once a roof  A/C, rusty exterior walls, etc.    This past weekend (July 21 & 22) thousands of people would have seen these two eye-sores which were still in the Walmart parking lot this morning.    This Bing search image of old RVs makes the ones parked  at the Katy Mills Walmart look good! --> https://binged.it/2A9H0dY

The FMCA forum members take great pride in maintaining their motorhomes/RVs.  Seeing the two decrepit motorhomes the last several days imparts a adverse impression of motorhome on the general public.   I can't imagine the Katy Mills Walmart allowing those motorhomes to remain parked in their lot much longer.  We as a FMCA community work hard to maintain our motorhomes and promote the enjoyment of RVs for family enjoyment to full time living.   When "hunks of junk" motorhomes/RVs are parked for an extended period of time in public view, is there anything that can be done to get the eye-sores moved?

Or am I being overly sensitive and shouldn't worry if public viewing of decrepit motorhomes creates a bad perception of all motorhome owners?

I guess it's time to have some cheese with my whine!

Mike,  Have you taken the time to try and talk to the owners? There are times in ones life that one can be down and out. You need to realize that many of them have there own pride and do not want to be a burden on public resources.

I did grow up in an area of the Appellation mountains. A hand out insults them, but the offer of a hand up and information on what services or help in your area might be just enough to brighten there day a little - someone took the time to care not criticize.  The flooding and other natural issues has hit the area hard and many slip through the cracks or let the own pride hinder getting help. FEMA is not the best example of America. 

A little love goes a long way - is there a simple item(s) that would make there day.

Rich.

Yep!  Could be they are waiting for parts or maybe got a job at WM.  Not all RV owners have enough money, to do what they want, or live in upscale areas like Katy, Texas!   Since they are still there & not towed away!  They have permission, Mike.  One thing that I know about the Katy area, especially Chinco Ranch...folks there, think they breath rarefied air!  High dollar homes & incomes, but they still shop at WM in their $80K+ SUV's!

Sorry Mike, I've never met a ex LSU graduate, that don't understand, "Down & out"!   

No matter your age or background, it's no fun being dead broke, I've been there, 2x in my life!  I think you should go see them & bring the cheese with you! :P

When I lived in a gated community on Lake Conroe, some residents there thought none of their stuff smelled so to say. One resident would bring his motorhome home to unload from their summer stay at their ranch and some of those uppity neighbors would get their panties in a wad because that stinky, loud diesel motorhome with all that shinny metal was in their drive for a day or two.  It was a Prevost no less. I guess my point is, one mans home is another mans castle. 

Ditto’s Rich and Manholt. I’m just thankful that I’m not walking in their shoes! It’s only by the grace of God that that’s not me. 🙏

Paul

I will second all of the above. A short conversation will shed light quickly on circumstances. Then appropriate action can be initiated. Judging a book by it's cover has always been expensive for me.