thomandcoley

Cummins 6.7L 350 Turbo replacement?

Trying to find a rebuilt Cummins Turbo for my 2009 Forest River Berkshire. It's a 6.7L 350 and the part # is 5325451-RX. I have looked EXTENSIVELY online and can only find new ones. The part is about $3000 new. 

If you have any info please text me at 210 913 0149 as soon as you can!

Thom Shepherd

Hopefully you will come back to see this because I never text anyone I don't know.

Like DD said, there are several turbo rebuilders in the San Antonio area. 

Thom.  Welcome to the Forum!

Where are you now? City and State please!!! :) Or are you in A/C 210=San Antonio, TX.

Hey all - thanks for your replies!

6 hours ago, obedb said:

Who is giving you the $3000 price?  That seems way above normal.

That is the price for a new Cummins Turbo for my 6.7L 350 that the mechanic found.

SstGermain is right - new ones are in the $2200-$3500 range and rebuilt or reconditioned ones are VERY hard to find.  This whole ordeal is gonna cost like 7 grand. NOT what I was expecting, but the turbo itself is so expensive. 

I have a 210 number but right now I'm up in North Idaho for the summer visiting my kids. The rig started overheating on the way up here from Texas. It is currently taken apart at the diesel repair place in Post Falls, ID. They said it had a blocked exhaust port and that the turbo is locked up. The tech showed me - the turbine is supposed to spin freely and it's all locked up. 

Thomandcoley, mentioned this in there reply,

They said it had a blocked exhaust port and that the turbo is locked up. The tech showed me - the turbine is supposed to spin freely and it's all locked up. 

This is a common problem when the engine is shutdown when the turbo temperature is to hot - this causes Coking of the oil in the area of the spool bearings. The Turbo in this case(on the 6.7L) is a VGT style unit. This setup is pictured hear. The other bug is the buildup of carbon in the space between the Shroud plate and the Nozzle ring. RV, truck and auto VGT's use Electric motors(about the size of a pack of cigarettes) to move the actuator. Control Power source is the ECM .

VGT Turbo.png

Here are some PDF files for the  Wastegate  Series turbo information and parts brake down Files. Wish I could offer some useful information on the VGT rebuilds, you might start by Googling  VGT turbo rebuilders.

Rich.

HX_Service_Data_Sheet.pdf

Halset_Turbo_HX30_32_35_38_40_GW.pdf

Turbo Tech 103-True pressure in the manifold.pdf

There always trying to build a better mouse trap and we are the mice !

Is that the same engine that is used by Ford? If so, that is a lot of money for a  frequently used part plus labor. Thought about buying a Ford diesel.

All the more reason to follow a careful shutdown procedure.

40 minutes ago, obedb said:

Is that the same engine that is used by Ford?

No.

Same displacement but the Cummins is a much simpler design and only 6 cylinders inline where the Ford is a V8 with Two separate cooling systems...big mess,,, very complex design!

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

No.

Same displacement but the Cummins is a much simpler design and only 6 cylinders inline where the Ford is a V8 with Two separate cooling systems...big mess,,, very complex design!

Joe, Have not looked at the newer setup. They did use plastic couplers between the turbo and the CAC that would expand and pop like a balloon! When they where exposed to high ambient temperatures and under load. 

Rich.

Rich, Ford uses the standard Blue Thermocoupler on the hot side and Plastic clip on couplers and tubing on the cold side. Today's Cummins is very similar to your year, not much has changed on this type of stuff. VGT turbo came with emissions reduction attempts when common rail fuel systems were introduced and of course all of the other stuff came along just after EGR was introduced to meet govt requirements.

Just a heads up if you end up in the same predicament that I'm in - a replacement turbo is about 3 grand. You need to make sure if you are getting one that it INCLUDES the ACTUATOR. My rig is sitting at the shop with a brand new turbo ready to be installed and no actuator. Cummins says actuator is another $1000.  This is ridiculous. I have spent hours and hours trying to find a replacement turbo, finally get one, and it's missing essential part that costs an extra grand. 

That is not one wants to hear! The shop did not inform you that the actuator was also bad?

The thing is that many Diesel coach owners are not over the road driver owners and know what questions to ask.

Thing is I let this one slide through my fingers ! My bad.

Rich.

Thom,

You will have $4k in major parts plus odds and ends. You mention $7k total?  Many shops use a flat rate manual for labor costs. Always despised that procedure. Another $3K? Whew!!!!

14 hours ago, obedb said:

Many shops use a flat rate manual for labor costs.

No flat rate manuals for RV's as there are not two the same for access to the engine. This is one reason why shops will turn away from RV's, too unpredictable! Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get! Only top technicians are up for the challenge or techs like me with screws loose :lol: :ph34r: 

Joe/ How about parts pricing? At the public garage that I used for my commercial truck, I never paid full retail on any parts that they installed. Probably next level down.   Can that be used to get RV repair costs down?

19 hours ago, obedb said:

Joe/ How about parts pricing? At the public garage that I used for my commercial truck, I never paid full retail on any parts that they installed. Probably next level down.   Can that be used to get RV repair costs down?

Probably negotiable, or worth a try anyway. 

The issue is most shops hate working on RV’s, access to make repairs can be time consuming and frustrating. skill levels and quantity or available technicians have drastically dropped off and in order to retain your staff you have to pay them well or turn away frustrating work. They charger full retail often on parts to make more money to make up for the frustration.

Thats why you will see RV labor rates significantly higher then trucks. I saw a post the other day on Facebook; Truck labor rate $135.00 RV labor rate $225.00.

11 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe.  I understand the cost for a DP!  Does that also apply to the Super C, like KONI?

That I don’t know. When I worked at the dealership I never saw a Super C, no mention of it on and social media poss either. I can’t imagine why those would be the same as a DP, unless out of greed.