aldfmca

Type C Cab-over Bunk

I have a 2016 Jayco Redhawk 26XD. I bought it used 9 months ago and read that the cab-over bunk could handle 750lbs. So, there being just 2 of us,  I have loaded a little less than 150 lbs with storage containers up there and have taken several trips like that. Today I noticed a tag beside the bunk that said the 750lbs was for only when the RV was not moving. I called Jayco and their rep told me that it might be too dangerous to carry 150lbs up there when it was moving. 

If I cannot carry a load up there I will have to sell the RV and stop RVing. Can someone please tell me if they carry a load on that bed area and how much they carry? Any other thoughts? How much do you think I can carry safely?

Thanks, Al

It is all about leverage and the 150lb is like a 1000 lb when you hit a dip in the road 

If you keep anything up there  keep as close to support  not as far forward as you can 

I don't know much about the construction used to fasten the cap to the roof and cab, but I'd suspect that one of the weak points in the construction is going to be where the cap connects to the roof. Load the cap too heavily, and you've added quite a bit of stress to that joint. Looking at the info online about this model, it's easy to see how far that sleeper cap sticks out over the cab. Load that sucker too much and I'd expect problems.

Perhaps you can rearrange where you are storing things and use that upper area just for storing items which may be larger or bulkier but not terribly heavy? Extra bedding, towels, sleeping bag, etc. take up a lot of space but don't add much weight.

Is the cab over part floating free or secured to the roof of the cab? That may help in determining the weight limit.

There is an ole adage from the Marine Corp, when faced with a difficult task, "We adjust, adapt and overcome" This is what you need to do not just quit RVing.

Come on stick with it, it is a great addition to your life. And then again it is not for everyone. 

Herman 

Why not place those items on the floor or on the regular bed while traveling, stick them up there while camped. I would not want any weight over my head while traveling, but don't let such a trivial item stop you from RV'ing if you really enjoy it.

You could put a barrier in front, to keep items in!  A lot of Class C's, keep the stereo & TV electronic equipment in that compartment. :)

Kay.  It's a fixed cab over bunk bed with a TV.  I just looked at floor plan.  Ladder mount.  Unit has a sofa, both dinette and Queen bed.  2 slide outs!  Class C.

If it's fixed, and rated for 750#, I see no reason for concern to put 150# up there as long as it is secured so it can't fall out on their head. I used to own a class A that had one of the style beds that could swing down to be slept in, I would never load anything on that thing.B)

Thank you all for replying. You are right, I am going to rearrange my "stuff" to put the heavy items below in compartments and just keep light items on the bunk. Somehow I have to get a scale to weigh all that "stuff" and find out how much it really weighs. Again, thanks for helping me find the right solution.

Al

Some C RVs have only a wood framed overhang.  Our old (1994) Gulfstream Ultra C had a steel framed overhang.  A metal one is probably much better as far as weight capacity goes.