fagnaml

Surge Protectors in Series

I haven't passed the electrical section of Motorhome 101 class yet so I need to ask some dumb questions.  When my Iota Engineering brand automatic transfer switch "fried" a couple of months ago it was replaced with the Progressive Dynamics Surge Protected ATS --> https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/automatic-transfer-switches/pd52dcs-pd52s-240-vac-50-amp-automatic-surge-protected-transfer-switch-the-silent-ats/   This new ATS offers 3300 Joules of surge protection.  RV Masters in Houston recommended this more robust ATS and my XtraRide service warranty approved its use.

I had been using a "portable" 50 amp Surge Guard protector the last 2-1/2 years that provides a somewhat better 4200 Joules of surge protection versus my new ATS --> https://www.campingworld.com/portable-surge-guard-protectors-50-amp

These are my dumb questions for my first outing with the new ATS.   Can the portable Surge Guard Protector be safely and successfully used in series with my new surge protected ATS?   Would surge protectors in series offer any benefit to the surge protector in the new ATS?   The "set-up" would be ATS with shore power cord from the ATS connected to the portable surge protector connected to an RV park utility pedestal.

2-1/2 years into Motorhome 101 class and I still have dumb questions that need answering.  Thanks for the help!

Mike.

There are no "Dumb" questions on this Forum!  I run the same setup as your asking about, have done so, for 20+ years! :) Protection at the Pedestal is paramount to a happy coach.  

Mike, 2 units in series should be no issue at all.  A hard hit could trip both, but you doubled  your odds of preventing some serious damage. 

Should you trip the same surge protector twice, check the wiring on that one for sure !!!!

When there is a heavy electrical storm in the area, I just disconnect from the shore pedestal and (if its hot disconnected  end is tuck, in a bay and run the generator if you need. 

The odds of a direct hit are way less then a real close one.   Just a note !     If the hair on your arms stand up / a lightning strike is way closer then you want.  BTDT  

After the strike an instantaneous boom. !!!!!  There is a very deep sight .

Like you - I do some things well, but never ask me to be your account !!!!!

Rich

Ground connection (not neutral or common) is paramount in surge protection, as long as ground is not defeated in any way, then multiple surge protection is OK. Incidentally, a joule represents one million (1,000,000) volts.

Kay I did not know the ratio of joules to volts Thanks for the tid bit.

The only dumb question is the one you did not ask...thanks U.S.NAVY A school 1966

Thanks for the prompt replies!  After being associated with travel trailers and especially my motorhome since my teens I still amaze myself at what and how much I don't know!!

During my teen years in the late 1970's my parent's 24 foot long Prowler travel trailer did not have the luxuries (essentials?)) we have today like a power cord, converter, slides, air conditioning, etc.  "Power" for the travel trailer can from a single, sparsely used 12 volt deep cycle battery.  Propane ran the frig.   Lighting came from a Ray-o-Vac battery lantern or Coleman fuel latern.   Air conditioning came from open windows and roof vents (which was all ever needed in the Medicine Bow Forest of southern Wyoming).