Question

My husband and I are thinking about going to the Grand Tetons on our way back from Astoria Oregon.  Our directions take us across Hwy 20 to Idaho Falls then down Hwy 26 and up through Jackson Wyo.  Then up to the park.  I have 2 questions:  Has anyone taken that route, any thoughts?  We have a 35 ft motor home and will be towing.  Also, it is very limited in the RV Parks to choose from near the park.  Most of them that I am finding are not rated very highly and comments are leaving little to be desired.  Does anyone have any experience with the parks in that area?  One would think as beautiful as the area is, there would be a number of decent campgrounds to choose from.  Thank you, Barb

7 answers to this question

Have been to Jackson and the Grand Teton National Park, but not in an RV. The park is stunning. Well worth extra effort to find a nice RV park. The area is really "high rent" ,and that could be why the RV parks are marginal. The cost of doing business!!

Check parks in Victor Idaho for something acceptable and drive your toad to Jackson and to the Park.

US20 and US26 are good to drive. Have used both over the years.

Try this/. TETONVALLEYRESORT.COM

Thank you very much for the information.  That helps us a bunch.  I had checked out the resort you mentioned, was hoping for something a little closer but understand.  The ones I have found, don't seem to have very good reviews.  All mentioned it was very pricey which I was not surprised, but was hoping since they are all in such a resort area, they would be nicer parks.  Thank you again.  Barb

Thank you for the reply. Really do hope that you can find a nice park. If you are close to the Tetons and have the time to enjoy the area, you should not miss it.

Where are you headed from there? Perhaps I can help?

For RV Parks I use http://www.rvparkreviews.com/  to determine which park I want to stay at. 

Why don't you stay inside the park at Gros Ventre Campground?  This places you close to everything inside the park.  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/wyoming/grand-teton-national-park/gros-ventre-campground-concessionaire-operated-12845

Plus there are other CG's inside the park.  More info here:  https://www.gtlc.com/rv

Alflorida.

Most, not all, National Parks, can not accommodate a 35 foot (probably closer to 37') with slides!  Since the OP does not list what they have, we can only guess. 

You have the perfect size to go anywhere!  Byron is in the same boat, I am...outside looking in! :D

13 hours ago, manholt said:

Alflorida.

Most, not all, National Parks, can not accommodate a 35 foot (probably closer to 37') with slides!  Since the OP does not list what they have, we can only guess. 

You have the perfect size to go anywhere!  Byron is in the same boat, I am...outside looking in! :D

I have found that most National Parks have some campgrounds with some campsites which will accommodate up to 40 foot RV's.  Sometimes you will have your rear bumper sticking out the back of the paved or gravel parking pad, but the RV will still fit. 

On the other hand, getting a reservation during the busy season for large RV's is a problem.  Determining which campsites will accommodate your rig and finding it available is sometimes very difficult.

One big exception is Yellowstone, which requires you to supply the total length of the RV and the toad you are pulling (or the trailer and tow vehicle) in order to make a reservation.  Anything over about 50' to maybe 1 or 2 campsites at 60' total RV & Toad length is a problem. But if you are going in with a 40' motorhome w/o a toad there are quite a few campsites you can reserve.  Note: one minor detail. At Yellowstone, reservations for the following year start on May 1st of the previous year.  Waiting until spring of the year you are going and you probably won't be able to make a reservation.

Lots of National Forest CG's will handle 40' RV's.  For detailed NF CG's go to: https://www.forestcamping.com/