Sign in to follow this  
rmstockley

New Cherokee problem?

We just completed our first trip with our 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk.  We had the MOPAR tow package installed by our dealer, and have a Blue Ox Tow bar and Patriot II aux  brake system..  We hooked up and towed the jeep about 250 miles with no problem.  When hooking up for the return trip, we somehow activated the "Safe Hold" feature of the electronic parking  brake system, and destroyed the jeep's rear tires before we could safely pull over...    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81-wAQzybOI&feature=youtu.be

According to Jeep, the  safe hold system senses an unsafe condition and engages automatically,   We must have created one of those unsafe conditions while shifting the transfer case to neutral.  Once you  set the start button to off, you no longer see any indication that the system is engaged. 

Obviously we need to move "Check Parking Brake " up a few steps on our checklist, and when possible, move the rig while someone watches the jeep rear wheels.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Is there any way to disable the system?

I understand the horse is out of the barn so no use closing the door now but always pull forward a few feet with someone checking to make sure the tow bar latches properly and the brakes aren't dragging.

yup, the horse is long gone...   Still not sure how  or why we triggered the "Safe Hold" in the first place, after several successful hookups using the same checklist.  I  guess some experimentation is in order.   Since you need to turn on the ignition just to see if the brake is engaged, you must first disengage the steering system work-around, so I'd much rather get it right the first time...

My Jeep purchases stop at Wrangler for a reason!  If I want a SUV, my lady tow's a Ford Expedition!  It works behind my coach or hers.