ronandsue74

3rd New Radiator

Shortly after I purchased my 2005 Inspire in 2011 the original radiator started leaking, not a big surprise right! So, I had it replaced in 2012 with a new copper & steel bolt on tank unit that I purchased through Country Coach. I believe they got it from Radiator Supply House in Oregon.
All has gone well until last week. After a short less than 200 mile trip I noticed a substantial puddle of coolant under my radiator. Upon close inspection it appears as though the leak is coming from the radiator. All hoses & clamps are dry & tight.
So assuming I need ANOTHER new radiator I don't know whether to go with another copper & steel unit or an all aluminum one.
Advise & opinions are welcome.
CC Rider #51264

Have you confirmed that the coolant you're using is compatible with both the engine and the radiator? Since you bought the rig used, there's no telling what was put in it prior to your ownership, so perhaps a thorough flush is in order. I'd assume that this was done during the radiator swap in 2012, but thought I'd mention it just in case. Some radiators and/or engine can be damaged by using the wrong coolant.

If you have the metal tank ends bolted on, before concluding that the radiator is toast, try torquing the end tank bolts/nuts.

Rod, I had to replace the radiator in my coach, Second owner shortly after purchase - covered under a warranty.  My issue was caused because the previous owner took the coach to Alaska and did not clean the bottom of the coach to remove the calcium chloride.   That made a mess of everything, but a good dealing chip for us. 

Living in a state that uses tons of salt and other chemicals to melt snow, requires one to make cleaning the radiator and underside a TOP priority. 

As a side note !  In the spring driving the coach does not happen until a very good rain has washed the dust off the road surface.

Rich.

Rich: Gotta be NY state. Upstate especially / the locals expect wet pavement regardless of the weather. Example: I-90 across NE Ohio Cleveland east to NY. PA very slick. Cars and trucks were petrified. I was even a little apprehensive with mucho winter driving experience. Got to NY State and entrance to the thruway was just wet!😳

Richard, My coolant was changed and flushed five years ago to Peak Final Charge ELC coolant. Then in 2017 I drained and replaced with new Peak ELC coolant, so I think I have that area covered.

Brett, The very few bolts that I have been able to get to I have tightened a little. But, no more than I can get to hasn't made any difference.

Rich, I live in North Texas, Dallas area, so corrosion is not an issue for me. I never go to snow country in winter, spend little time along coastal areas and always rinse my radiator off when washing the coach.

I appreciate all advise given.

I have a Viking protection plan. I'm taking it in to National Indoor (Lewisville TX) tomorrow.
I'm assuming they will pressure check the radiator and work with Viking for the most economical repair.
It is a copper radiator with bolt on side tanks.
I guess if they say it can be repaired it will be their call not mine.

I'm going to have them pressure check mu CAC as well as I believe they will have to remove it to get to my radiator anyway. 
CC Rider #51264

Ron,

Can you tell if the leak is coming from the radiator/tank joint or from the "body"/center part of the radiator?