richard5933

Battery manufacturing dates

Just a heads up for anyone getting a 'new' battery, especially one which is an unusual or less common size...

Check the manufacturing date on the battery. Sometimes it's in code on a sticker, sometimes it's printed on the box, and sometimes you've got to ask the dealer.

Our generator uses a dual-purpose 8D battery as a start battery. (I know it's overkill, but it also acts as a back-up to the house system - long story for another post.) I went to Napa to get a replacement since they had a good battery and a decent price. They brought one in from another location since the local store was out. I went to pick up the battery and noticed that the cardboard cover was stained, tattered, and torn. When the guy lifted the box I saw that one of the posts was slightly out of line with the other, probably took a knock from another battery while being shelved. I asked him to check the battery before loading it just to be sure that the damage didn't go any deeper. Nothing showed on the tester - no current, no nothing. The guy checked his tester and came back to say the 'new' battery was defective. As he was doing all this I took a look at the date on the box. It read 2013. This battery has been sitting on the shelf for about 5 years, probably with no charge and no maintenance.

So, end of story is I'm really glad I noticed the bent post and thought to have him check the battery. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed the date issue until I lugged the thing home and into the coach. Lesson learned - check manufacturing dates on batteries.

Richard5933

Is there a issue with shelf life of a battery ?  And how long can a battery

sit with no charge on it, on the shelf?  When I buy battery's NAPA always

LOAD TEST them before I take them out the door.

WE all understand DOT for tires.

Tim

The guy at the counter said that they normally try and keep batteries no more than one year old on the shelf. I've read that even that can be too long, since batteries will lose charge over time, and a dead battery left for too long may be permanently damaged.

Long ago all batterys in stock where dry and the acid added when sold 

now they need to be serviced and start to age when made 

1 hour ago, bm02tj said:

Long ago all batterys in stock where dry and the acid added when sold 

now they need to be serviced and start to age when made 

Very Good point! I have run across batteries with water in one of the cells.(No Acid at all) When buying wet celled batteries - have the installer check them BEFORE installing them is a good proactive move.

Rich.

I see batterys with charge by dates  not sure how to read date codes stamped into the battery 

1 hour ago, bm02tj said:

I see batterys with charge by dates  not sure how to read date codes stamped into the battery 

The 8D I got from Napa came with a cardboard cover, and it had the date actually printed on a label. I would hope that a reputable parts supplier or battery dealer would have the ability to interpret the date codes. Not sure about Walmart or the local farm store.

The local Interstate battery sales and rep truck in this area makes a routine check and delivery of batteries checks the dates on their batteries and swaps out shelf batteries for their dealers. Six months and the battery is swapped out, the pulled batteries are then resold to battery rebuilders in this area. The logo is removed from the battery and sold to local battery rebuilders, who does a desulphated process on the battery, then sells to the public at a much reduced price. I sure do not know about other locales, but that's how that company does it here in Alabama. Only reason that I know this is the local rebuilder is a personal friend, and I have been buying batteries for the last 30 years from him.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Probably what you get at the big box stores!

Carl, Surprisingly Exide sells a number of Seconds - that have been refurbished.

Rich.