Afordeck

Need moral support: Cummins engine problem

Started out easy enough, travel from Indiana to FMCA rally in Gillette.  Got back as far as Rapid City and the wheels fell off.  No power, just able to move itself.  Took to shop, replaced EMC, would not read out 3 days.  Still no power, get parts 1 day.  Weekend, change injector pump 1.5 days, still no power.  Now changing injectors hopefully today?   We have been here 10 days at $150/day room pls meals.  Using an extended stay so we can cook.  I've seen all the sights here and the coons are in my sweetcorn at home.  Anyone know any interesting games?

Does your insurance cover trip interruption? If so, maybe it's time to look into that so you can get home and take care of things that need to be taken care of.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I don't know this helps but here is what happened to my Cummins 400 ISL.

Check engine light came on. Engine ran but had very low power and low boost. Limped into Joplin Cummins Service Center. Turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump. They replaced the pump and has run like a top since. They had to run a complete diagnostic check to discover the problem.

Again, sorry for your problems.

Herman

By the way, Joplin Cummins Service Center is top notch. 

Maybe go fishing, but with your current luck the fish will have severe lockjaw!-_- Sorry to hear such an unfortunate story, but we can always pray for a better day tomorrow. The last time I had a similar experience, turbo tube had a large crack, I managed to get a replacement overnighted, put it on then headed home, still three quarter power only, after limping home more inspection, the manifold the tube was attached had two large cracks. $2000.00 later full power finally restored. Sure hope that you will have a good ending.

Still here, changing injectors $3k parts did not cure it.  Told them to change lift pump, will see tomorrow if that is it.  Cut filter apart and it was clean.  5.9 Cummins.  My personal opinion is bad lift pump, has been from day one.  They troubleshoot by computer that does not include the lift pump.

We where in Rapids City, 3 weeks ago!  I would be at another Service Center....Everybody is represented in that town! 

Really feel that Black Hills Truck and Trailer is working for me.  They have been generous adjusting bills.  They are Cummins reps.  Problem is, there are few real mechanics now, everything is computers.  Told my mechanic a computer is only an opinion.  It cannot reason and is only as smart as the guy that had the input.  

A fordeck, Have Read the entire thread and a few items are missing !!!

What is the Model Year of your coach?  How many miles on the coach? OEM lift pump or has it been replaced? What is the fuel pressure at the input to the injector pump?

What type injector pump is the engine using ?   Bosh VP-44 or a High pressure common Rail type injector pump?

The Engine is a Cummings  ISB, IF it is a ISB-02 series there is a third fuel filter in the fuel supply line between the fuel / water separator filter and the lift pump. 

FIN-FF30284 FILTER-Fuel(Inline Strainer)-Racor 025-RAC-10 In line fuel filter used on the Cummings ISB-02 series engines installed in Freightliner Chassis.

Fuel Filter part number Inline ISB-02 Series.    RAI 025RAC10

Rich.

PDF file that shows the location. NOTE ! They have been found in slightly different locations in the RV chassis. One popular location is in the drivers side frame rail just behind the rear Axle. Tight spot and vary hard to find. Know of one the was in the area of the Right frame rail.  Cummings ISB-02 series engine - it is in the fuel supply line. A number of trucks have it located in a clip mount .

In-line_fuel_strainer_for_ISB02.pdf

Check the fuel flow - No flow, Low flow or low pressure - this is what you are looking for, the unknown item for many shops !!

You might want to look at this thread - that offers some information on Cummings Fuel lift pump issues.

Sure sounds like it's starved for fuel or you got some bad fuel.  When did you fill up last and have they looked for condensation in fuel line? 

It is a 5.9 cummins common rail pump on a Freightliner chassis.  Been thru the whole Cummins protocol.  I do know about the strainer located at the axle.  I had just changed it within the last 100 miles.  Removed it yesterday, cut it opens and it was clean.  Going over there in a little bit to try again.  The lift pump and strainer are new, we also blew out the tank vent line thinking that may be a possibility.

I'll update in a little bit.

Several thousand for $250 lift pump.  Getting.credit for 11 hours labor.  Does run good now, so far.  Heading for Indiana.

14 hours ago, Afordeck said:

Several thousand for $250 lift pump.  Getting.credit for 11 hours labor.  Does run good now, so far.  Heading for Indiana.

Glad you are back on the road !   The fuel supply, pressure and or flow rates are not monitored by the Engine ECM. 

When you get home and have a little time could you offer information on any Error Codes the where found.  No power and no codes should indicate that problem is before the injection pump.

First test for no power in this case would be to every thing from the injector pump back to the fuel tank. 

As a side note Cummings has had issues with school buses and RV fuel supply lift pumps using the ISB series engines. One can install a simple In line pressure switch that turns on a LED light when the pressure drops below 5 psi.  When it lights you are getting warning of an issue(s) in the lift pump plumbing. The pump is failing, there is a restriction in the fuel filters or the is a connection or small hole in the fuel line between the lift pump input and the fuel tank. One can also install a fuel pressure gauge line from the output of the lift pump and plumb it to a dash area pressure gauge.  A more costly way to go, but one knows the fuel line pressure at any given moment. 

Next time look at installing an after market lift pump and keep in mind that the OEM pumps tend to fail at 25,000 miles give or take a few thousand. 

Safe Travels Home !

Rich.

Always good to be back on the road.  Glade you got some $ back! :) Go chase does pesky coons away...I'm jealous, I love sweet corn with Amish butter! :lol:

On a 2001 ISC 350 i lost power, pulled to side of road and unplugged and replugged  electrical connection at gas pedal. Power returned and no more problems. i'm sure their computer would have found this but it is worth a check.

Afordeck,

Have a friend that had low power limped home from Glacier. He call a friend at Cummins. The friend had him clean his chassis batteries terminals. It ran like a top. Now his coach is a 1999 Monaco Dynasty and I believe it is an ISB but don't hold me to that. It might be worth a try and if it doesn't work you at least have clean terminals.

Herman 

Thanks to all of you on this topic.  I really have to spend more time here and get acquainted.  Seems like I only get on when I have an issue.  

2 hours ago, Afordeck said:

Thanks to all of you on this topic.  I really have to spend more time here and get acquainted.  Seems like I only get on when I have an issue.  

Please do come back. Some of us get a little restless at times listening to the same members bloviating.:D:D:ph34r:

Afordeck,  When you get time from taking care of your corn and coon issue. Could you post the millage on your coach, the year(thinking 2002 to 04) and if the lift pump had been changed before this power issue came up. 

No Noise on the thread for a couple of days - thinking you are still roiling or have gotten home.

Rich. 

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

My hi-pressure fuel pump went out when we were headed to the Rally in Indianapolis. It cost $5,026.05.

Herman 

Ouch!!