Afordeck

Need moral support: Cummins engine problem

Bill E.  They heard him, but the name of the game is "high dollar diagnostics"!  Then you get some feel good money back! :angry:

3 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Yes and all because they would not listen to him as he thought that from the beginning. At least they gave him some time back.

I think that two different OP's are in play here. Herman is stating what it cost him for a high pressure pump, while Afordeck's problem turned out to be a lift pump, with lots of tail chasing.

I sorry, haven't been checking in.  Got home after stopping at HWH to get jacks repaired.  At least they seemed real competent.  Check engine light came on about 200 miles from home.  I am letting my credit card cool off before I take it in.  Dropped about $10k in it in SD.  Rig has around 68k miles on it.  Every time I think I am getting ahead on this motor something else crops up.  It sure is a pleasure to drive when you are not waiting for a misfire or a check engine light.  I doubt that the transmission fluid has ever been changed.  How religious is everyone on changing it?  Been told it will back around a thousand.

33 minutes ago, Afordeck said:

I doubt that the transmission fluid has ever been changed.  How religious is everyone on changing it?  Been told it will back around a thousand.

Let me send you my address.  That is about $500 profit!

34 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Let me send you my address.  That is about $500 profit!

Not sure how to do that but I will be in TX 1st of the year, got a shop?

Partially that was a joke, but, yes have changed many fluid/filters in Allison transmissions.  But, Transynd change and Allison filters should run more than $500.

Have you checked with authorized Allison dealers?

39 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Partially that was a joke, but, yes have changed many fluid/filters in Allison transmissions.  But, Transynd change and Allison filters should run more than $500.

Have you checked with authorized Allison dealers?

No, I have been using a Cummins service facility.  I'll check out your suggestion, thanks.

There's an Interstate shop in Gary IN. Not sure how far that is from you. Their shop in Milwaukee works on our coach. They are an Allison dealer/service provider. Might be worth calling for a price quote if you are near them. They are not the cheapest, but they do good work and seem to be honest in their dealings. They deal mainly with commercial vehicles, but I've seen lots of coaches and motor homes in the Milwaukee location getting service work done. I'd rather deal with them than an RV dealership any day.

48 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

There's an Interstate shop in Gary IN. Not sure how far that is from you. Their shop in Milwaukee works on our coach. They are an Allison dealer/service provider. Might be worth calling for a price quote if you are near them. They are not the cheapest, but they do good work and seem to be honest in their dealings. They deal mainly with commercial vehicles, but I've seen lots of coaches and motor homes in the Milwaukee location getting service work done. I'd rather deal with them than an RV dealership any day.

Thanks,  just tried to Goggle Allison and it seems their site is down.  Only a couple to three hours from Gary.  We are in the NE corner of IN.  I can't believe there is not one around Fort Wayne or Indy.  Past history of Gary is a little scary depending on location.

Weird, working on Kindle and it will not pull the site up.  Must be a security thing it does not like.

Weird, working on Kindle and it will not pull the site up.  Must be a security thing it does not like.

Clarke Power Services - Central

Ft Wayne Truck Center

Stoops Freightliner

McCormick Motors

These are the first ones that pop up. I'm doing this on a PC. Perhaps their site is not compatible with the browser on a Kindle. I'm sure that you won't have to call more than one of these to schedule a fluid/filter change and/or diagnostic session.

I would see if you have an Inland truck service shop near you. I belive they are a certafied Allison shop. I bought 5 gal Transynd from them for about $225.00 that included the gaskets and filters when I changed my fluid. See what they charge for doing the job.

Toll Free: (800) 448-8436

https://www.inlandtruck.com/

Bill

By the way, kind of have a bad taste in my mouth from Stoops.  Last February, engine cut out in Indy (really lift pump?)  and cost $1k and an overnite stay to change fuel filters.

Is there ANY BLOOD LEFT? JIMMINEY CRICKETS it is time to learn a little cause the last one was really terrible! On my C12 Cat filter is $40 bucks and the other 30 and 20 minutes taking a nap. I do not think they want you back or want to work on coaches. 

Yeah, two fuel filters on this and they total around a $100.  I believe the lift pump would cool down while waiting so we thought it was a filter issue originally.  Before the final breakdown, I changed both of them myself in a rest area and the engine was still starved.  We cut a filter apart in the shop prior to changing lift pump and it was clean.

Our plan of attack on all these types of things is to have a good working relationship with a shop where we take our coach regularly. We sometimes pay for a couple hours labor to have them inspect and find things wrong before we have a breakdown. Getting things fixed on our schedule at our regular shop is so much better than having a shop on the road start guessing at things. The Interstate location in Milwaukee works with us on pricing all the time, but that's because we've been taking our coaches their for a couple of years now for service.

Realistically speaking, getting anything done on a diesel pusher is expensive. Posted hourly labor is $128/hr at the shop we use. Even getting a filter changed is going to be over $100, but with the cost of the filter and the labor it's not unexpected. There are good, reputable shops out there. But if you go in thinking that things will cost the same as on a car or pickup you'll be shocked and surprised.

Back to the current issue with the check engine light...Do you know that it's the transmission? Any symptoms to indicate this or is it just a guess? Might there be a code that can be read on the dash to see what the reason is that the light is on? Before spending any money to get things repaired it might be beneficial to find out what caused the light to come on.

1 hour ago, Afordeck said:

Changing xion fluid as routine maintenance.  Has nothing to do with check engine call, separate issue.

Correct-- routine maintenance.

Allison can tell you the correct "change quantity with filter change". Least expensive Transynd is a 5 gallon pail, less per gallon than gallons.  For the 3000 the gallon pail leaves you about one quart left over.  I do not have figures for the 4000.

The filter kit from Allison includes both filters, all needed gaskets and complete instructions.

Other than a 3/8" ratchet and a couple of sockets all you need is an inch-lb torque wrench.

Most owners will do at least as good a job as a shop, as they will do a better job of cleaning the bottom of the transmission before starting the procedure to keep all dirt out of the transmission.

NOT a complex job.

Any Allison dealer will have both Transynd and filters.

Found a great video on YouTube changing fluid on Allison 3000.  Looks like a piece of cake.  I grew up on the farm, but transmissions were off limits, but Allison appears to have made this serviceable.  Thanks for the encouragement to do it myself.  Too hot here now to crawl under an RV.  I'll tackle it when the weather breaks.

Update.  Just took my coach to Cummins for oil change.  They discovered carbon deposits on exhaust gas sensor tube (Rapid City changed the sensor twice) and a leaking valve cover where they cracked a fitting.  Plan on mailing them pictures, but I doubt they will feel much of a need to respond.