bigsmitty51

spare tire on class a

bigsmitty51.  Welcome to the Forum!

Make, model and year of coach would help, also DOT on your current tires, along with size!  There is a current tread under Tires  on this subject.

This seems to be something that brought a mixed opinion. I vote for yes - if you can fit one in somewhere you should have a spare. Others are not so worried. Here's the thread that was referenced by Carl. Scroll down to the tail end of the conversation to see the bit about spare tires.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to talking with you more.

For Class-A I suggest you carry a used tire not mounted and have road-side service. Having the used tire is always going to save you money vs paying for whatever the service guy has. No need to have it mounted as service can do that on the side of the road. This also means you can store stuff inside the tire.

Not all Class-A have a basement large enough (Shame on the MFG).  Class-C  and Class-B can carry a mounted spare BUT be sure you have the tools that can handle the weight of the RV. I would be concerned for some units as you may not be able to jack up an axle on the side of the road so having road service is a good idea.

I have changed my tires at home so I know the tools and jack are strong enough. Also have a 8"x8" plate to give the bottle jack extra stability.

maybe this is a topic for a Tech Tip ?