mjanzen@bak.rr.com

Electric Or Hydraulic Leveling Systems

We have a Class A 1998 Winnabago Adventurer that does not have a leveling system. We love this motorhome, and although it is our first, we have had it for nearly 7 years and have decided to keep it as long as it lets us! Our issue is now that we are going to keep it, we would like to have a leveling system installed. We have heard that an electric system is the best and easily installed, but are unsure of our facts. We have done a little research and it looks like it would be over $3k just to purchase the electric system, plus whatever installation would cost us. We would like to know what our best, most reliable bet would be. Any help would be most appreciated.

Hi JerryPeggy,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. For me, the HWH brand systems are the best choice. They are hydraulic systems. There are manual and automatic system choices. Go to http://www.hwhcorp.com/coachsystems3.html to see what they have to offer. Their telephone number is at the top of the page. HWH has an air leveling system, but I do not recommend this.

My recommendation comes from a combination of personal use and being "Mr. Fix It" for a couple of different RVing clubs. The bottom line is HWH makes really good systems with heavy duty parts. Lastly, push come to shove, one can always get a hydraulic jack to raise. There are times when nothing will get an electric jack to raise and you need a shovel to dig out from under the jack so one can take the jack off the coach.

No question, HWH makes good stuff. I would like to point out that electric jacks can be raised with an electric (battery) drill and the proper socket. (at least mine can) Also, they can be removed and replaced in less than 30 minutes, by removing 4 bolts and one plug, and then reinstalling. The hydraulics, not so easy. If the jacks are properly sized, either should give you good service.

We have Attwood levelegs,,,,electric jacks on our MH,,,,,,we never leave home without them.....I sure like em,,,,,and they have been trouble free for almost 4 years now....

I guess anything mech/elect can have and will eventually have problems,,,,but when I push the auto button, they have not failed me yet.......

Do a search on a couple of forums,,,,,,I have read some problems with all systems,,,,again mech/elect,,,,,good luck.

I sure would want to have unquestionable confidence in the installer....whoever it is....which to me would be as important as the jacks....jmho.

I have electric and would rather have ordered my coach with HWH. Have had to have readjusted once and Tiffin Motor Homes has discontinued the electric jacks on thier new MH's.

I would think that there is also an issue of weight. The heaver the coach the more likely that Hydraulic jacks would be your best bet. You should also make sure that the jack base is large enough to support your coach on gravel or grass sites. We have had three coaches and all have had the hydraulic system over the years we have had vary few problems with HWH systems. They stand behind their product and are willing to help when you are having problems.

Guest 2driftrs

We've got Big Foot on our coach, factory installed. These are electric/hydraulic with a manual leveling control unit. Each unit has its' own electrically driven hydraulic pump. Our coach recently had its' 10th birthday, and we've had no problems. To give you an idea of power, on level ground and hard pavement, these will lift the entire coach off the ground! The ones on our coach are rated 12,000 pounds each.

Seems like the big foot system is good . saves having the hydraulic lines through the basement .. At least on a retrofit..

I have some interest because the present Power Gear Electric will probably get to me someday.

A total replacement might just be the best in the long run

I've heard nothing but good things about the BigFoot jacks and those would be my replacements when the electric ones give up their life some day. NO issues yet but one time with the electric, however; I'm sure there days are numbered like everything.

We have a Class A 1998 Winnabago Adventurer that does not have a leveling system. We love this motorhome, and although it is our first, we have had it for nearly 7 years and have decided to keep it as long as it lets us! Our issue is now that we are going to keep it, we would like to have a leveling system installed. We have heard that an electric system is the best and easily installed, but are unsure of our facts. We have done a little research and it looks like it would be over $3k just to purchase the electric system, plus whatever installation would cost us. We would like to know what our best, most reliable bet would be. Any help would be most appreciated.

Go with the electric jacks-- it is a screw jack (Atwood). They do not creep like the oil type. I had two motorhomes 37ft and had know problems with them.

I had a Holiday Rambler with oil and the jacks would creep and leak oil. They were HWH so the better choice is electric screw jacks.

I currently have Power Gear Automatic electric levelers and had the driver's side front jack replaced under warranty, broken sheer pin, Power Gear replaced the control module and update all the rubber boots, and put a new brake on the right rear leveler, now we are having problems with the passenger side rear brake (needs replaced)

I love them when they work, but we've had our 2007 Fleetwood Discovery since March of 2007 and have had problems each year since and now are out of warranty.

We are looking to have the levelers replaced with Bigfoot hydraulic leveling jacks.

Our other coaches had hydraulic levers and had few if any problems.

Has anyone had any experience with Bigfoot hydraulic leveling jacks?

Pro or Con.

J. Didich

2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40 X

330 Cat

I have had both and have had no major problems with either. My hydraulics were HWH on a 1998 Winnebago Adventurer and my electrics are Power Gear on a 2008 Fleetwood Southwind.

My electrics had to have some work done when the rig was new (2008) and the Power Gear tech told me it was CRITICAL that all connecting plugs be clean and tight. He cleaned them all and used wire ties to keep them tight. No problems since. This summwer, I will check, clean, replug, and re-tie all of them.

We have a 2002 Allegro Bus and we have not had any serious problems with the HWH. They do leak a little which amounts to a loose fitting which is an easy fix.

We do have acquaintances that have Atwood Electric and have had to replace them all at different times (2008 Phaeton). HWH is pretty picky about who is their authorized rep but they are just protecting their own product.

Good luck.

Bob

Not sure of your location, but if you are near Elkhart, Indiana, both Atwood and HWH have install locations. Sullivan RV in Decatur, Indiana (just south of Fort Wayne), has been a quality repair facility for Fleetwood and other manufacturer's motorhomes. They were able to rebuild one of my Atwood jacks at much less than replacing with a new one. www.sullivanrv.com

I have had two coaches with HWH. One was an automatic configuration and the other was a manual joy stick control. Both worked well, but I did have to replace one jack (@122K miles) and two hoses (@32K miles). HWH furnished the hoses, but I had to pay for the jack.

Our coach with Atwood jacks has had one jack rebuilt($550) and the control module($512), @54K miles.

ATWOOD CONTROL BOARD I have a '07 Newmar Kountry Star 3910 with Atwood Level-Legs. I need a control board for the system. It appears that one of the relays in the board have failed. A call to Atwood states that they have discontinued this item. Newmar doesn't have one either. The system is useless without this board.

The Atwood part number is 66274 Any suggestions?

Markstella,

Do you have the Manual for your system?

This link might help:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/chassis/MPD%2066166%20SP%2011.21.07.pdf

See you are located in NY State, by chance is the a BOCES or trade school in your area that teaches electronic repair? School is out for the year and is there an instructor that might want to pick up some money on the side that would be willing to check the board for defective or bad components, if that skill set is not in your bucket!

Rich.

It appears that the relay is no longer available either. Thinking of the possibility of buying a controller 66275 rev 5 is for a Ford chassis and I can get the relay's out of it.

Markstella, Could you post some numbers off the relay in question or better yet a picture of the relay with any numbers the grope could read off it ?

just maybe I or another member will recognize it or see if we can cross reference it.

Rich.

Must be a very unusual relay-- most all relays do the same job. operating voltage, amperage and normally open/closed are the only normal variables. What is unusual about this relay??

I have a 35' Winnebago Sightseer with "KWIKEE 3000 jacks. Kwikee no longer makes these jacks and they cannot be repaired if leaking. If you are buying any MH that has these jacks, run away as fast as you can. I am relegated to putting up with the leak, trying to find a used jack or, replacing the entire system which will cost $$$$$$$. Any suggestions.