rossboyer

New Michelin tire

Tire man:  I went to my local dealer which is not in the FMCA Advantage program. The dealer suggested that I use the new Michelin tire, 275/70R22.5 load range J tread X MULTIZ. He checked Michelin warehouse and stated they have many in stock. He gave me a price of $650 w/tax+$35 install with new stems. I tried the FMCA system for the size and this new tire isn’t listed. The email says to call Michelin Customer Service which I did. They confirmed that the warehouse had a great number if this tire. I asked price, but they couldn’t give it to me. I had to call FMCA. So I did and they said to call Michelin, but they gave me a different number 888-532/6435. So I called that number. Michelin wanted the item code which I didn’t have, but they looked it up based on the description above. The item code is 31513. Also, yes the warehouse has a lot of them. They gave me a price of $517.05+$32.51 fet. I would probably need to add 7% for Indiana sales tax of $36.19 to match my dealer. The tire would then be $585.75. If I add $35 for install and new stems, which is a guess, the total would be $620.75.  Or about $64.24 less than my local dealer. For six tires I would save $385.50. I would like to support my local dealer, for that amount I can drive to Indianapolis to an Advantage dealer. 

Now after all that have you or anyone know about these tires?

The Michelin Library Specs state that the features are: New tread compound, 9% greater net contact area, Angled groove walls, Zig-zag sipes and Groove bottom protectors. 

I have no personal knowledge of the MultiZ but looking at the Michelin web site I see they mention the arrows on the sidewall. This is a "semi-directional" tire meaning it should rotate in the direction of the larger arrow unless you have an irregular wear problem when you can reverse the direction.

They also say " Improved all-position radial optimized for RV chassis and specialty trailer in regional and line haul applications "

Sounds like a good application

Trying to get good information on these MultiZ tires has been exhausting. I'm looking to replace all 6 tires on my Newmar Dutch Star 02 since my current tires are at 6 years. I've been happy with my current XZA2 energy tires and was hoping to find the same tire again, but it seems the Michelin RV Tire Guide is only recommending the 275/70/22.5 MultiZ as the replacement. The only reason I'm hesitating on the MultiZ is my research shows this tire has poor fuel efficiency. Does anyone have experience with this new MultiZ tire and can you share your experiences with it?

Sorry, but I have no specific info.  If Fuel Economy is important to you I suggest you research  EPA "Smartway" certified tires. The major brands identify these tires in their data book as being compliant with the EPA and CARB requirements for better fuel economy.

Your tire size may limit your choices.

Continentals are fine tires...and, IMHO, better/cheaper than Michelins.  I replaced my two front Michelins with 315 Continental HA3s.

Ross, I have piloted many tire brands on commercial vehicles, Yokohama being the most recent. I have NO issues in ride quality with any of the following brands, I thought the Yokohama and Continental actually were a better ride than Michelin. If you are stuck on a Michelin product the BF Goodrich line is made by Michelin and was on the FMCA program. 
Hankook

Yokohama

Sumitomo

Continential

BF Goodrich (I put these on our coach 4 years ago)

Cooper Roadmaster (a friend has these on his Tiffin, no issues and the ride is good).

There is another off brand I carry as a spare, can’t think of the name. 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:22 AM, jleamont said:

There is another off brand I carry as a spare, can’t think of the name. 

Roadlux, this is what I use as my spare. 
https://www.roadlux.ca

I bought one from a large commercial tire company due to their recommendation and unbelievable reliability success. Hopefully I do not have to use it for obvious reasons but I have it should I need it.

Ross, what's wrong with new issues?  It's along the same line...cost/ride.  I can see no reason to close it.  IMHO !

Why do we continue to beat an old question to death with new items that are not relevant?  I would like to find new posts without going through old information wasting users time to get to the more recent pertinent posts.

FWIW I just put a pair of 275/70R22.5 Bridgestone R250ED on my front wheels.   Don't know how well they ride yet since the mounting was done on my site but I do know that I got a fantastic deal on what are Bridgestone's best all-position tire in this size.  The best price I've seen online for them is ~$500 each plus FET and shipping.  SimpleTire.com wants over $800 each (shipping included).  I got them for ~$200 each because my daughter was the manager of a Firestone/Bridgestone store. Shows how much markup is embedded in tire prices.