mpekala

step retraction

How do I get my steps to retract when I put my 2014 class A Mirada Coachman motor home in storage? when I shut the engine off and leave the vehicle, the steps come out when I leave the vehicle but they do not retract when I close and lock the door.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum ! 

Just some thoughts, Can you tell if it looks like a mechanical issue? Broken part or steps binding.

There is a magnetic switch and magnet on the screen door to let the logic board know where the steps are  - also check for broken  wire or a blown fuse.

Let the group know and if the list does not cure the issue. Post all and any information you can. 

Rich.

There is a step switch near the door, just flip it the other way and the step will close when the door is closed and the engine is not running.

As dd69 said there is a switch for the step when on the step will go in and out as the door is open and closed. 

Leaving the step out while in storage is not a bad thing. It help the person breaking in a place to step. :lol::rolleyes:

The devil made do it.:wub:

Herman

Herman.  If it's a dark garage, it will also break a leg of the intruder! :o:lol:  Sorry, my bad.  I like to leave my step cover on!  As soon as the garage door is tampered with, a silent alarm is sent out, Linda gets notified, then the Sheriff comes, about the time he busts a bone! :lol:

May seem like overkill, but there is 2 DP's and some antique cars, in that garage...we are in the country! :wub: Just like you are!

10 hours ago, mpekala said:

How do I get my steps to retract when I put my 2014 class A Mirada Coachman motor home in storage? when I shut the engine off and leave the vehicle, the steps come out when I leave the vehicle but they do not retract when I close and lock the door.

10 hours ago, mpekala said:

Have the same issue when house batteries are OFF; when they're on steps retract OK.

Been trying to solve this for awhile.

16 hours ago, rkspas said:

Have the same issue when house batteries are OFF; when they're on steps retract OK.

Been trying to solve this for awhile.

Not sure if I understand the problem correctly. But when we put away our coach in storage, here’s what I do with the steps: after I exit the vehicle, I close the screen door (which retracts the steps), then reach through the door handle opening in the screen door to turn off the house batteries—fortunately the switch is right by the door! Then I open the screen door, attach it to the outer door, and close and lock them both. Steps stay retracted till I return, open the door, and flip the battery switch. Hope this helps somehow.

—Tim

Forgot to mention.  Both coaches have their own 50, 30 & 20 amp receptacles. I plug in to 50 for coach & 20 for a charge minder on my chassis batteries.  Linda's coach is wired differently, when plugged in to 50 all batteries get charged. 

The Original Poster has not been on the thread sense posting the problem. A number of members have offered there thoughts, but until  mpekala responds it is difficult to know if the issue still exists.

Rich.                

On August 7, 2018 at 8:06 PM, tcolburn said:

Not sure if I understand the problem correctly. But when we put away our coach in storage, here’s what I do with the steps: after I exit the vehicle, I close the screen door (which retracts the steps), then reach through the door handle opening in the screen door to turn off the house batteries—fortunately the switch is right by the door! Then I open the screen door, attach it to the outer door, and close and lock them both. Steps stay retracted till I return, open the door, and flip the battery switch. Hope this helps somehow.

—Tim

This makes sense, tcolburn, except the house batteries switch in our Thor Challenger is about a foot above the doorway....so that option is out. Have to take the MH in for a safety recall, which is for the steps. Maybe they'll have an answer. If so I'll post their suggestions, but it won't be for a few months till we get there.

Edited by rkspas
Spelling error

I know this post is 2 years late, but I had the same problem.  I used a small magnet to make the stairs think that the door was closed, then turned off the batteries.