Any ideas or thoughts on protective film for windshield protection. I’m having a windshield replaced by Safelite and would like to avoid the same experience again, if it can be avoided. The invoice to insurance was about $3500. Not sure how to remedy this for the future, or just continue to carry the comprehensive coverage with full glass coverage. It seems that with the high cost of these windshields on Class A MH, the insurance companies would promote a reliable protection plan, credits, or options. Will my premiums continue upwards, I hope not.

In my investigation, I'm hearing you can't protect from an object getting hurled at 60+ mph from cracking the glass, no matter what film is installed, whether it is 4 mil or whatever, the thickness of a credit card, it's still going to impact and cause damage. Another vendor indicates about $1500(just a guestimate) to purchase and/or install material and may/maynot carry a warranty on the glass and the film, but full disclosure or knowledge was not really available, because of being a third party to the product. Not sure of the best product, but was inquiring about a material called ClearPlex.

Anyone with ideas, knowledge or experience with this subject, please share. Thank you. 

Edward, Welcome to the  FMCA Forum !

Over the years I have managed to have rock damage to windshields. Have not found anybody that makes something to prevent the damage.

I have changed my driving habits when driving on Dirt, Gravel, Resurfaced roads and to just keep from getting to close behind trucks loaded with gravel.  Also - Keeping an eye on what is approaching from the Opposition direction and just slowing down and moveing on to the shoulder.

Still have lost 4 windshields in a coach. Those 4 where covered by caring full glass coverage. Think I'm over all ahead of the added cost. 

The more miles you drive and the areas you drive in an you will manage to get one broken.  The last one was due to failed stabilizer  bolt bushings - that allowed the coach front cap to flex beyond the nominal range and that caused a crack in the glass not caused by being struck.  

Lost one due to a large ravine committing suicide - kamikaze   attack !!!! That one caused one of those what the H moments !!!

Rich.

Chipped, cracked, even when trucks are approaching from opposite direction and in their lane. Angle of the dangle when the truck hits a pebble in the road, or force flies it from the tread of his tire
Nature of the beast and not really something that can be protected.

Edward,

Welcome to the Forum

Short of hiding the coach in an enclosed building covering it with a sheet of plywood :rolleyes: there isn't much that can be done to prevent rock chips and cracks. So go and enjoy road and let the chips fall where they can. (Pun intended)

Herman

My last glass was $2,980, biggest bill I've seen, in 51 years of Class A's!  That was in Feb, this year...Thought I would have another in Kansas, 2 weeks ago...suicide by a Pheasant, did not happen, but Linda heard it in back of coach!!! :lol: As Herman said...

42 minutes ago, manholt said:

My last glass was $2,980, biggest bill I've seen, in 51 years of Class A's!  That was in Feb, this year...Thought I would have another in Kansas, 2 weeks ago...suicide by a Pheasant, did not happen, but Linda heard it in back of coach!!! :lol: As Herman said...

Do you have a hunting licence  ?   The bird that is doing the most damage in our region are wild Turkey's.  They go up to 30 plus lbs. :lol:

Rich. 

I think I agree with DickandLois and will forego any treatment and just maintain insurance coverage and keep my fingers crossed while driving. Money well spent this time. I’ll just lose my claim free discount and hope rates don’t rise to terribly. 

Being somewhat cautious as possible, I do like to maintain distances between those in front, if not for anything other than reaction to braking but also for the flying turkeys 🦃.  Lol 

Thanks for all the replies.

We drive defensively but cannot circumvent all the flying objects. On the higher speed freeways, we still drive at 65 to 70 mph. We had a 4x4 pickup pass us and pull in sharply on a highway that has three lanes each way. We were in the left lane going the speed limit at 65 mph. This guy flew by us like we were standing still and pulled in front of us with less than a half a car length to spare. As he speeds ahead he threw up a rock (object assumed) and of course cracked the windshield.

You just cannot protect against all incidents, especially when there are so many idiots on the road. What his purpose was we did not know but we did get some consolation when we saw him pulled over by the highway patrol some miles down the road. I am guessing his ticket wasn't anywhere close to our windshield repair.