RonandSherryBarnhart

2008 Newmar Essex 4514 Slideout

Ron and Sherry, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

There are a number of different systems and controls systems from push buttons to voice operated. Intellitec  control systems a common. 

I do have some information on the Newmar slide out systems, but only up to the 2007 model year. There is most likely some common items and wiring. 

Your description helps eliminate the locking arms, now need to know if the motor(s) have power or if there is a connection, fuse or control relay issue. 

Reading the drawing and ability to use and read a multi meter is a needed skill set.

. So a call to Newmar  might be your best bet.     To contact Newmar Customer Support, call toll-free 1-800-731-8300.

http://motorhomeadvice.com/consumer-directory/

image.png.7c812a3352860e05e7538df365b46504.png

Rich.  

I have a 2006 Newmar Essex 4502 and have an intermittent problem with passenger side rear slide. 

When I hit the switch, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I have to sit there and keep pressing the switch until I get it to go. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tim 

Tim, sounds to me like you have a relay, ground or solenoid issue. If you have a wiring diagram check where all the grounds are and if you have a relay or solenoid. 

Good luck, 

Herman 

tjsolberg, does that year talk to you when you press the slide out button? Some Newmar's will have a speech that comes across when you press the slide out button.  Just curious if that was equipped does it acknowledge you pressing the button and then it doesn't go out or is it completely dead when you press the button?

7 hours ago, jleamont said:

tjsolberg, does that year talk to you when you press the slide out button? Some Newmar's will have a speech that comes across when you press the slide out button.  Just curious if that was equipped does it acknowledge you pressing the button and then it doesn't go out or is it completely dead when you press the button?

Jleamont, it does talk when you hold the button to extract/retract.  Sometimes it works no problem, sometimes I have to activate the button 2 dozen times before it works.  It's just the one slide, passenger side rear.  It goes in/out just fine when it works.  I was thinking along the same line as Herman, but the previous owner told me he had it checked out by an service center and they told him they couldn't find anything wrong.  I find that hard to believe.  I was thinking of swapping out the two controllers located in the mid bay just to eliminate that being the problem.  Your thoughts? I posted pictures below.

Slide_Controller_2.jpg

Slide_Controller_1.jpg

That would be my third step after checking the connections and making sure they are clean and properly connected at the controller and behind the switch. You could also check the switch with a ohm meter to make sure its internal contacts are functioning properly.

Hey Joe,

I checked out all the switches and connections and their all good.  I also swapped over controllers and the problem stayed with the rear passenger slide.  It just acts like the circuit isn't closing when I press the switch to power the motor.  I'm going to try to find a schematic to see if there's a relay, solenoid, or ground that isn't right.  Any suggestions would be great.  I'll do an internet search for some schematics/drawings to see what I can trace out.  If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks for the help all.

R/

Tim Solberg

Tim, I agree with Carl, call Newmar tech support and walk them through what you’ve done so far. I’d be surprised if they weren’t a big help at this point.

1-800-731-8300