doublechevy

Extended Warranties

I recently purchased a 2008 Monaco Knight that had no manufacturer's warranty due to Monaco filing bankruptcy. From the RV dealer, I purchased an extended warranty that covered everything (that is, until you have a breakdown).

On our first trip returning from Florida with 4,500 miles on the odometer the A/C compressor siezed and broke the serpentine belt, leaving us stranded on I-95 in NC. We were towed to a Cummins Atlantic repair facility for repairs. The first hint that all would not go well is when I presented my Warranty to the service writer and her first comment was, "We don't deal with warranty companies." I advised her that they would not be able to do any work without prior notification to the warranty company and then left my coach there as we had to return to NY due to a medical emergency. When they called me and said the repair would cost $1,800 and the warranty company authorized $781.00 less my $100 deductible, I was stunned. I thought I had purchased breakdown protection ... boy, was I fooled.

Cummins charged 11 hours labor, but warranty would only cover 4 hours. The flushing of the A/C system cost $159.84, but warranty woould only pay $33.47. The receiver dryer cost $99.67, and warranty paid $00. Shop supplies cost $ 69.12 , and warranty paid $00. The serpentine belt cost $35.47, and warranty paid $00.

Final tally: Warranty Co. $681.94, policy holder $1,122.45. I have been fighting with the warranty company and Cummins for about a month with no sucess. Cummins insist their invoice was fair, but the warranty company says I was overcharged. So be very carefull in selecting an extended warranty company and where you have your coach repaired (if you can). :rolleyes:

None of this surprises me by the conversations that I have had with other RVrs. Generally speaking diesels just cost more to have fixed no matter what the problem and everything I can find on extended warranties for RVs says RUN don't walk away from them. Was this a new '08 that you bought? In this economy it may be wise for others to look at the health of the company that built the rig before they consider buying. I am sure there are a lot of Alfa owners in the same boat as it was my understanding that they went under last year.

Sorry to hear of the troubles. I feel for ya.

Guest Wayne77590

What you need to ask for is an "Exclusionary Warranty." It will list everything that is not covered. Then you have some ammunition to paly with. An exclusionary warranty covers everything, excluding certain items that will be listed in the warranty. You have to read the "fine" print on any warranty. Sorry to hear of your situation. Good luck.

Really sorry to hear of your problems. When the service writer informed you that they do not accept extended warranties should be a clue that they are overpriced on their repairs and labor. Hind sight is 20/20 but instead of a Cummins dealer I would have requested the chassis service center. It is the chassis maker that installs the accessories like A/C not Cummins. As someone mentioned look at your service contract to make sure it is an exclusionary one and understand what is covered and not covered. I have a 7 year/100,000 service contract and is called a "premium policy" with very few exclusions. I have had several claims and they have covered them all. My rear view camera stopped working a couple of months ago and my service center found the cable was shorted and needed to be replaced. They had to run a new cable down the inside of the rear end cap and inside a new wire loom along the frame and up into the dash. My service manager said it would take 8 hours at $110 per hour labor and he would check with my service contract to see what they would cover. He called me and said that they would only cover 7 hours labor and the cable cost. I was happy it cost me a total $220. I know a lot of people recommend not buying a service contract but, I do not do any repairs on my motorhome. If it is not working I take it to my service center. I want to go RV'ing not spending time repairing items.

I do have a Exclusionary warranty and it is their platinum plan, some of the issues are with Cummins in not providing an accurate and detailed cost of repairs to the warranty company. Cummins claimed they could not find a receiver dryer for my coach so I ended up buying it and sending it to Cummin Atlantic to facilitate the repairs. Cummins Atlantic never put in the breakdown claim the receiver dryer or the labor to install. I may still get paid for this from the warranty company. Yes I purchased the coach as new in October of 2009. I am more concerned with the 11.0 hrs of labor versus the 4.0 hrs from the warranty company and am mstill trying to find out what National labor standard guide lines the warranty company uses. and am cosidering filing a complaint with the New York State insurance Liscensing division. about AGWS