elibedarn

Communicating while driving a Class A

Cab a bit noisy while driving. 

Thinking of using a pair of, Sena Technologies SPH10 Bluetooth Headset and Intercom, while driving. Have any of you used these? They are presented as motorcycle usable. In addition some find it nice when parking a large boat. I suspect they would be equally helpful when backing into a tight space avoiding the spouses flagging arms.

The second thought is in lieu of a headset maybe padding the engine housing.  If I were to install foil back self adhesive insulation on the engine side of the dog house would this create to much heat reflection back to the engine? 

Your thought on either or both.

Thank You.

I would try the engine compartment insulation.  Lots of boaters use it, we did in a sailboat that had an inboard diesel.  Lots of information on boating sites.

7 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Is having a headset on while driving is legal?  I use the blue tooth on the dash radio when using the cell phone.

Motorcyclist use these and other types while riding. Some units permit communicating six or more riders. You can listen to music, gps and intercom with other people. I am guessing it is legal, but it is a guess.  Something to research.  

Thank You 

22 hours ago, FIVE said:

I would try the engine compartment insulation.  Lots of boaters use it, we did in a sailboat that had an inboard diesel.  Lots of information on boating sites.

I agree compartment insulation is the way to go, if it does not create unusual retention of engine heat. I am lost on that issue, if it is one. I will talk to a mechanic regarding overheating of engine by reflective insulation. 

Five; following your advice I researched product lines for boat engine housing and ordered the following product,

https://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=SPM06

Thank you again for your input.

Edited by elibedarn
thanks

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Both Hard of Hearing so we just shout at one another and if that doesn't work then we just ignore each other and that does. :rolleyes:

Herman

You are humorous in pointing out our issue. Generally by early afternoon my dry throat has had enough of loud talk across the cabin. Can it be I am the only one...........................

Thanks, love your response:D

5 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Buy a diesel pusher.:D

A great solution. I have not researched the cost of a diesel pusher however I am betting it cost a bit more than insulation for the engine housing and or the headset. What could I do with all that left over monies! :D

Thank you for your suggestion. You are almost as funny as Herman.................which is a good thing!!!

There are some states where it is illegal to wear headphones or ear buds while driving.
Motorcyclist typically wear a helmet with a built in system. Don't know about the legality of that.

28 minutes ago, aztec7fan said:

When driving my 32' gas southwind, my wife yells at me alot.  I don't think it's the engine noise, though.

I recognize that and can add that mine sometimes talks to be using sign language gestures.

7 hours ago, FIVE said:

I appreciate your suggestion. I had not considered researching boaters forums until you mentioned it. In so doing I found this web site that gives good insight to sound proofing materials for engine noise reduction. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/sound-proofing-engine-compartment-tips-58028.html

Very kind of you to respond. Thank you for the tip.

Insulating the engine compartment for noise. Applying a layer of Dynamat wil help for sure and then the foil faced stuff to reflect the engine heat back is a great idea. Heat in the engine compartment is not an issue here. It remains at a fairly even constant related to the designed air flow through the compartment. There are many ways to deal with heat like fiberglass exhaust wrap to keep it in the pipes on the way out. But that is another conversation.

3 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Insulating the engine compartment for noise. Applying a layer of Dynamat wil help for sure and then the foil faced stuff to reflect the engine heat back is a great idea. Heat in the engine compartment is not an issue here. It remains at a fairly even constant related to the designed air flow through the compartment. There are many ways to deal with heat like fiberglass exhaust wrap to keep it in the pipes on the way out. But that is another conversation.

Thank you for taking time to respond. It comforting to know I will not have an overheating problem. Gaining knowledge about fiberglass exhaust wrap is very helpful. I will research that.

Today I purchased materials from these folks; https://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=SPM06

15 hours ago, elibedarn said:

A great solution. I have not researched the cost of a diesel pusher however I am betting it cost a bit more than insulation for the engine housing and or the headset. What could I do with all that left over monies! :D

Thank you for your suggestion. You are almost as funny as Herman.................which is a good thing!!!

Maybe Herman can help change your lift pump.:unsure:

I cannot quote nor point to Indiana law that says only one ear may be covered by a headphone, but I remember learning that in driving school in 1958. I can see the logic in that, having both ears covered can mask emergency vehicle warning sounds.

We have no difficulty talking (DP) inside, but backing into a site can be frustrating trying to talk, all the noise is back where the spotter is trying to communicate. Therefore we rely on standard hand signals, as long as I can see my spotter we are good. Even if it turn up the rear camera audio, all I can hear is engine and exhaust noise; same thing when using cell-phones, walkie talkies, etc.

So you see, gas and diesel MH's have the same problem, except at opposite ends of the vehicle.

As to a sound deadener and heat reflective material, check this out:https://www.amazon.com/Car-Insulation-Deadener-Automotive-Lightweight/dp/B016QUS1YE/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=heat+reflective+engine+cover&qid=1556155097&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This type material is commonly used on auto/pickup under-hood installations, could use in a MH be much different?

We use only our phones when backing into a site.  The DW will keep hers up to her ear and I will have mine on speaker behind the wheel.  Engine noise and the back-up alarm on our coach can be heard through her phone but barely.  I never have any problems hearing her directions.  She knows to always stay within sight of one of my mirrors or the camera at all times or, I STOP.

Another benefit of doing it this way is that no one that approaches her can hear what I am saying to her.  For example, when a helpful "expert" fellow camper comes over to assist I sometimes blurt out "tell that idiot to back off until we get parked".  He can't hear what I say but only her version "thank you anyway, but we like to do this part ourselves".  It makes for a better beginning to our camping experience at that site.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, desertdeals69 said:

Is having a headset on while driving is legal?  I use the blue tooth on the dash radio when using the cell phone.

I do not think a complete cover both ears headset is legal, that said, you can, as far as I know, have a headset that only covers one ear... I've damaged my coach enough in tight conditions that we now are not doing any maneuvering unless we're connected via earphone and cell connection, the independent headset would be very nice, since my hearing aids make me have to turn them up quite high to have a decent conversation in a pretty darn quiet pusher....