f480628

FMCA Insurance Discount? What Discount?

My RV insurance written by Allstate in Georgia is going up from $509/yr to $690/yr so I thought I'd take advantage of the RV Insurance DISCOUNT offered by FMCA.  I mean that's one of the main reasons we join FMCA right?  The Discounts?

FMCA quoted me $1257/yr.  Imagine my shock.  I read over my Allstate policy and it's pretty good.  Not a lot of exclusions.  Not any more than some others I've been reading about on this forum.  FMCA quote had a $2500 deductible.  Allstate's deductible was $500.

Needless to say I'm disappointed with the "discount" I was given through FMCA.  With the purchasing power of THOUSANDS of RV owners I'm not sure anybody is profiting over this deal except the insurance companies and the kick backs given to FMCA for all the policies sold to it's members. I was one guy buying a policy from Allstate.  FMCA represents THOUSANDS of members and this is the best pricing structure they can offer?  Again, I'm disappointed.

Curtis Smith

2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador

40' Diesel Pusher

Ringgold, GA.

I don't think that a "discount"was offered. A lot of your premium is based on where you claim as residence, your coach, your toads, number of years driving the coach and probably the most important thing is your credit score.

Try State Farm. 1-800-782-8332 or National....I have the first one, Linda has the other.  The rest is all based on what Don said.

We've been with Allstate for 45+ years - home and auto.  Our Allstate agent explained that RV insurance with them is like insuring a car.  When it comes to valuing it for something major, the settlement will be based on depreciated market value.  Other companies that specialize in RV insurance plans handle things differently.  If you purchased your  RV new, you might get list price or replacement value for "X" number of years.  In other cases, you can establish a stated value policy for your RV and if the insurance company agrees, that is what you will receive if the unthinkable happens.  From our own experiences, RV policies like this seem to run between $1200 or so up to $3000 annually.  As stated by others, where you live, your insurance history, credit score among others things will impact your rate.

asundstrom.  I have had, Allstate cover my $400K Allegro Bus under their "Platinum" policy, $3,600 year, my cost replacement.  Perhaps you need another agent or another insurance company!  Insurance is like stocks...don't fall in love with them!  Enron comes to mind.

I have Safeco RV insurance and my policy premium went form $1610 last year to $1994 this year with no claims, no tickets, no changes at all.

Costs are going up d the weather has a lot to do with it. Last year several hurricanes, tornadoes and hail. This year more of the same. Just look at the most recent damage from hurricane Michael in FL panhandle. There is going to be a lot of major claims from that which will drive up premiums next year for all. Insurance is based on large pools sharing the costs for all.

Last week, I ordered a quote from Miller Insurance. They didn't quote what I wanted, nor did they say what insurance company they were quoting. Sent them an email asking for explanations. Just got a call from a rep who didn't have the answers at hand. When I said that when you call someone who's asked for info, you ought to have the information they wanted ready, she finally looked at my file and told me "We right everyone the same and then call them to talk specifics." When I objected to this, her comment was "This relationship is not going anywhere". She's right - I hung up the phone. The script she was following is vintage "bait and switch" and totally undermines any trust I might've had with them. Bottom line: if you want your specific requests honored and want to know who you're buying insurance from, go elsewhere.

Bodonnell - Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Do you have an insurance agent that you use for your other insurance (homeowners, auto, etc.)? If so, I'd suggest you give them a call. If you don't work through an agent, maybe consider it. I've found that having a good agent who is knowledgeable is the best thing I've done with insurance in all the years I've been buying coverage. Our agent was able to shop the coverage to the various companies, and she was able to work with the underwriting department to be sure that the coverage we got was what we needed.

56 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Bodonnell - Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Do you have an insurance agent that you use for your other insurance (homeowners, auto, etc.)? If so, I'd suggest you give them a call. If you don't work through an agent, maybe consider it. I've found that having a good agent who is knowledgeable is the best thing I've done with insurance in all the years I've been buying coverage. Our agent was able to shop the coverage to the various companies, and she was able to work with the underwriting department to be sure that the coverage we got was what we needed.

Richard, have you had any issues insuring your bus due to its age and is full coverage an option due to its age? 

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Richard, have you had any issues insuring your bus due to its age and is full coverage an option due to its age? 

None. Not on this bus, which is a 1974 and none on our previous bus which was a 1964.

Like I said earlier, having an agent that is on your side makes all the difference. When we got the new bus I provided her with photographs of the exterior & interior, information about the conversion (which was done by Custom Coach), and anything else they needed to know. She took it all to underwriting and came back with a policy from Progressive.

We do have full coverage, and it is set on a pre-determined value which we set based on value at the time of purchase. We had a professional appraisal done to back up the number we used. Of course, they will only pay up to that value and will adjust as it gets older and has more miles on it. We've also got a liability rider on top of the vehicle policy which provides liability should anyone be injured while in the coach while we are living or camping in it. Apparently this type of loss is only minimally covered without the rider, and I'd suspect that many people don't know that the coverage is available. We got $500,000 liability coverage for $5/year, which seemed like a no-brainer.

One other advantage we had is that Wisconsin is a state with a requirement to carry liability, which means that companies are required to write policies unless they have good cause not to. At the least, getting liability wasn't going to be a problem since anyone with a street-legal vehicle and a good driving record can pretty much get some type of liability.

I checked with Mliller's Insurance Agency, FMCA's 'endorsed rv insurer,  and Miller's didn't have FMCA on their 'discounted rate' list.  They used Good Sam's.  In any event, they were juvenile in their needed information to quote a price.  Couldn't answer the questions via the internet. Had to download the form, complete same, scan and email back to them.  Miller's rep was basically useless.   Long story short, don't waste your time with this bunch.  I'm with Safeco here in Texas and my rate actually went down this year.  My renewal is in February, 2020.

If you keep the same coach or get a new one, I check rates every 3 years...value of coach goes down.  I have been with State Farm for 3 years now and the rate has been going down as value goes down!  Progressive & National don't work like that...They kept my rate at purchase cost.  Close to $400k, I'm second owner & did not pay anywhere near that amount.

For many years I had Allied, a division of Nationwide, thru Miller Insurance as my broker. Three years ago my premium skyrocketed. Miller advised me that Nationwide no longer wanted the RV business. I had my tow vehicle, harley an umbrella and three rental properties with them too. I am full time with a So Dakota address, excellent driving record and excellent credit. State Farm, Liberty Mutual and Safeco a subsidiary of Liberty would not write full time coverage, at least with a SD address. After shopping around I went with Geico. I saved a lot of $$$.