brocki

Need to find limit switch location

All of a sudden, the front street side slideout on my '07 Phaeton 40 QDH is not stopping the gearmotor at the end of its extension.  Fortunately there is a safety clutch (I think) in the gearmotor housing that prevents destruction.  But boy is it noisy.  My best guess is that there is a limit switch somewhere that is supposed to "break" the circuit when the slideout is fully extended, and I'm also guessing that it has failed or come loose from its mounting.

Does anyone know where said limit switch is located?  I'm guessing I can replace it if I can find it.

54 minutes ago, brocki said:

All of a sudden, the front street side slideout on my '07 Phaeton 40 QDH is not stopping the gearmotor at the end of its extension.  Fortunately there is a safety clutch (I think) in the gearmotor housing that prevents destruction.  But boy is it noisy.  My best guess is that there is a limit switch somewhere that is supposed to "break" the circuit when the slideout is fully extended, and I'm also guessing that it has failed or come loose from its mounting.

Does anyone know where said limit switch is located?  I'm guessing I can replace it if I can find it.

There is a micro switch used for the slide in stop sensor and a Reed stile switch used for the slide out sensor. The reed switches can be damaged very easily. Some switch information available, but wiring is still hiding on me.

You can call HWH at this number / contact HWH Customer Service for assistance at 1-800-321-3494.

Rich.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, DickandLois said:

You can call HWH at this number / contact HWH Customer Service for assistance at

Thanks for the reply.  Don't think they can help me.  This is on the street side and is  the gear and rack device not the hydraulic.  But I will start looking for a small reed switch around the edges of the slide.

General RV in Wayland MI tried to tell me that there is not any switches to stop the gearmotor's progress in and out and one just keeps your finger on the "button" until you hear the clutch sound and then quit.  I'm not buying that.  We have had this MH for 6 years and the gearmotor has always stopped at the end of the slide travel.  I'll continue to look and I'll call Tiffin Monday.

4 hours ago, brocki said:

Thanks for the reply.  Don't think they can help me.  This is on the street side and is  the gear and rack device not the hydraulic.  But I will start looking for a small reed switch around the edges of the slide.

General RV in Wayland MI tried to tell me that there is not any switches to stop the gearmotor's progress in and out and one just keeps your finger on the "button" until you hear the clutch sound and then quit.  I'm not buying that.  We have had this MH for 6 years and the gearmotor has always stopped at the end of the slide travel.  I'll continue to look and I'll call Tiffin Monday.

Should there be no limit switches ? then there needs to be a current limiter circuit - that stops the motor.

If you can post any information from the control boards - might be able to track down some info on just what system they are using.

From your feedback it sounds like you coach is not using the 2000 series HWH system.

Rich.

Call Lippert Components Inc., as they now own Power Gear and what you are basically describing could be a Power Gear rack and pinion type system. Not positive on this with a Tiffin though. If the "rack" looks like a serpent it is a Schwintek. If it is a straight rack with teeth it is Power Gear or other than Schwintek, me thinks. 

Calling Tiffin with the coach serial number and ask who makes the slide motors and controllers that were put in it is going to help.  Power Gear and Schwintek controllers can be used for either type if that is what they were using in 2007.  If the controller looses its memory it can get out of sync and needs to be reset.

Waiting to hear what you find out from Tiffin.

Brocki, This is some info on the electric slide out system that might match your setup.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/pg_3010000062.pdf

The steps below are from the manual on how to reset the control board for proper travel both in and out limits.

Reset the IN stop point.     Note: IN must be set before OUT

The reset buttons on the controller are noted in the picture above. Press the reset button for the IN position in and hold while moving the room IN until reaching the correct stop point. When the room is in the correct IN position, release the reset button. This will set the correct position for all motors.

Reset the OUT stop point. Push in and hold the OUT stop reset button while another person operates the room switch to move the room until it is in the correct out position. Once the room is in the correct OUT position, release the OUT reset button.

This completes the slide control calibration / programming. 

Failure to completely hold the button in until finished programming will require starting over!!!!!!!!

Rich.

The manual does picture the limit switches.  But not there location spicily. 

Wayne, this is a standard rack and pinion setup.  Same as I used to sell industrially.  D & L, thanks for that info.  Armed with this information, I'm not so sure that I have limit switches controlling the slide. 

I will start by calling Tiffin Monday and find out just what system I have and if it is this servo control type, hopefully they can tell me where to look for it.

PowerGear uses the rack and pinion also. The motors run off 12v provided by the controller. The controller keeps the motors in sync. Load sensing stops the motor.

Interested in hearing what you find out.

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

PowerGear uses the rack and pinion also. The motors run off 12v provided by the controller. The controller keeps the motors in sync. Load sensing stops the motor.

Interested in hearing what you find out.

Wayne, Power gear is now part of Lippert. I posted some information on one of the Power systems used on a Class A coach that mechanically looks like what the OP has in his coach. 

His Phaeton  has what sounds like what is described and uses the same stile sensors and maybe the controller.

Rich.

The Crash in 08 sure messed up a lot of the paper trails.

Yes, along with Kwikee and a lot of other components.  They have gotten real big. I just had some work done there a few weeks ago when a Power Gear motor was failing. They were able to work me in at 0700 on a Monday.

BTW - If anyone needs any repairs/replacements, Master Tech RV in Elkhart are great to work with. The have a very large place, all inside. One of the owners having repairs done said they could stay in their MH hooked up to power in the evenings.  Their hours of operation for repairs are 0700 to 1530 hours.

And you two guys have got it dialed in correctly.  That is exactly what I have.

But since we posted last, the slide has almost quit going out but does retract successfully.  Kinda'.  With the help of Veurink RV in Grand Rapids MI, we have determined that it appears that by the controller loosing the current limit on extension and the gearmotor being original sin, when the safety clutch ratcheted a few times, it was the kiss of death for the gearmotor.  Stripped gears.  So we have a new gearmotor on order, and they have a controller in stock.  Should be up and running in a couple days.  All ya' have to do is throw money at it.