tireman9

Truck & Trailer weights. How to know what is safe

Here is an excellent video on how to learn the various weight ratings for the truck (tow vehicle) and the trailer (travel or 5th wheel).

Walter Cannon of RVSEF ( Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation ) or his crew are at many FMCA conventions and as a Tire Engineer, I strongly recommend attending one of his seminars.

This video does not get down to the loading and inflation of the individual tires but if you are the average RV owner, there is a good chance you are exceeding one or more of your safety ratings.

If you are you are also probably exceeding the safety rating on one or more of your tires. To learn more about tires you need to review the "Tires" part of

this forum.

Escapees offers a great Boot Camp and also an Online course to answer many questions. Problem is people need to take the course and not listen to the unknowing towing over weight.

Ken

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Escapees offers a great Boot Camp and also an Online course to answer many questions. Problem is people need to take the course and not listen to the unknowing towing over weight.

Ken

I kind of wonder why I see so many pickup trucks with travel trailers flipped.  Maybe it not a great idea to tow 12k even if the truck is rated to tow 12k

It is because of several issues.

1,  It is because of dishonest sales people that only have the desire to sell an RV, never mind the safety aspect of the sale.

2.  A tow rating system that is not easily understood by many people.

3.   Some states have a licensing system that heavily penalizes the drivers of a larger pick up, so they try to get by with the smaller truck to save some money each year or registration.

4.   Too many people that just will not listen and will drive too small of a truck, because they see others with huge trailers and small trucks.

We see similar issues with motorhomes.  People overloading chassis and towing a dinghy without a braking system or break away system. 

Ken

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Coaches rated for 5,000 pounds, towing 10,000 pound trailers!  :wacko:

Yes, I see that a lot!