bburns8

GFCI Outlet No Power

I lost power to some outlets, no power to TV in living room and bedroom, no power to fridge and there is no power to the GFCI outlet and I cannot reset.

Any advise on what would cause no power to the GFCI outlet?

Thank you

Blown circuit breaker in your electrical panel will cause no power to the gfci outlet. If there is power to the outlet but will not reset, this would mean that you have a leaking condition of electricity downstream of the gfci outlet, or a bad gfci outlet. To test the gfci outlet for no power, you will need to use a voltage tester and check for voltage on the inside of the outlet box, do this only if you are confident in testing procedures with electricity. Gfci is not a circuit breaker, only a leak detector/breaker, which means that if an over current occurred, then the breaker before the gfi outlet should have tripped..

47 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Turn OFF and back ON the outlet breakers in your 120 VAC breaker panel.

When I turn off and back on the outlet breakers do I need to turn everything off and unplug from shore power?

NO

27 minutes ago, bburns8 said:

When I turn off and back on the outlet breakers do I need to turn everything off and unplug from shore power?

If you are safe working around 120 VAC:

Disconnect from shore power, generator and inverter OFF.

Pull out the GFI outlet far enough that you can check for power IN as well as OUT.

Plug back into shore power and see if you have 120 VAC on the IN and OUT side.

That will tell you if you need to look at connections/wiring from breaker box to GFI, bad GFI, etc.

30 minutes ago, bburns8 said:

The GFI outlet has 2 black, 2 white and 2 ground copper wires.  Which one is the power IN and OUT?

Black is the Hot side  - Low is Neutral - green is ground.

No power to the  from the main power panel breakers in a 50 amp, or a 30 amp sub panel  or main power panel in a 30 amp coach.  Then you have  to look at the output circuit on the  power Inverter. 

If you could post the Make , Model and Year of your coach would help.

Rich.

Often times the back of the GFI receptacle will have labels for 'load' and 'line' on the back, with a black and white wire going to each. The 'line' connections should be the coming from your circuit breaker, and the 'load' connections are the wires that go to outlets further downstream.

If the GFI outlet resets properly and is working, it should pass the power through the 'load' connections to the outlets downstream.

32 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Black is the Hot side  - Low is Neutral - green is ground.

No power to the  from the main power panel breakers in a 50 amp, or a 30 amp sub panel  or main power panel in a 30 amp coach.  Then you have  to look at the output circuit on the  power Inverter. 

If you could post the Make , Model and Year of your coach would help.

Rich.

2001 Fleetwood Discovery 37U DP

Is it fed by an inverter-- in the past when it worked, could run run things on those outlets when not on shore power or generator?

If so, check resettable breakers on the inverter/charger.

As you can see, since we don't know exactly how your electrical system is layed out there is some guessing.

28 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Is it fed by an inverter-- in the past when it worked, could run run things on those outlets when not on shore power or generator?

If so, check resettable breakers on the inverter/charger.

As you can see, since we don't know exactly how your electrical system is layed out there is some guessing.

Yes, it is fed by inverter.  I have checked the breakers on the inverter/charger and turned the breakers off and back on.  I forgot to explain what triggered this.  There was a buffer plugged and being used into the outside outlet on the MH and I turned on the microwave and that's when we lost power to the microwave, both TV's, fridge, GFI, and some outlets.  Prior to this everything worked when on and off shore power.

1 hour ago, bburns8 said:

Tested the GFI and no power IN or OUT.

Your coach has an Inverter / Charger !  Xantrex 454 series - 20 / 20. Two circuit breakers are built into the output of the unit .

If you have the electrical wiring, the circuits affected would be # 2 and # 4 . dining area and entertainment equipment and or the Microwave power. this is a  common configuration. 

The Last post, would indicate that the problem is a tripped 30 amp / push to reset power input breaker to the inverter / charger !

The one GFI that might be tripped is often inside a storage  area above  an close to the inverter.

Rich.

38 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Your coach has an Inverter / Charger !  Xantrex 454 series - 20 / 20. Two circuit breakers are built into the output of the unit .

If you have the electrical wiring, the circuits affected would be # 2 and # 4 . dining area and entertainment equipment and or the Microwave power. this is a  common configuration. 

The Last post, would indicate that the problem is a tripped 30 amp / push to reset power input breaker to the inverter / charger !

Rich.

I pushed the reset power on the input breaker to the inverter/charger but still no change.

49 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Is you coach shore power wired for 30 or 50 amp shore power?

Rich.

50 amp

I have a 37U from Fleetwood. In the third from the front bin on the passenger side is another GFI in the ceiling of that bin. Try resetting it. 

31 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Are you on a campground pedestal, or at home? Also, have you started the generator to see if anything changes?

Pedestal.  Yes, started generator let it run for about 30 min and no change.

44 minutes ago, bburns8 said:

50 amp

Then you have a Sub Panel with a 30 amp circuit breaker in most cases that powers the inverter / charger.  Could you check and see if the charger is operating by measuring the DC voltage  at the coach battery's.  This is to see if the charger portion of the 454 is working and if so the inverter should be operating - if not then that requires some further testing. 

Rich.

See Ross has a GFI in the same model coach located in a bay !

OK, I am assuming that everything else worked on generator and shore power, so that pretty much eliminates the automatic transfer switch and power cords. I once had a wire to come loose from the circuit breaker due to the fact that a sudden overload happened and it burned the breaker outlet. The breaker had to be replaced in that event. Sometimes the coach maker used some stupid ideas and placed a gfi downstream of another gfi.

My 37U has two GFI’s on the same circuit that feeds 14 outlets. I think they did that because most times the one inside would be the most likely to need reset. The one in the bin would most likely trip when using something outside. The one in the bin would trip when it would rain on the extension cord connected to our golf cart charger. I do know this is not the way GFI’s should be wired. 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I have a 37U from Fleetwood. In the third from the front bin on the passenger side is another GFI in the ceiling of that bin. Try resetting it. 

Thanks, I located the GFI in the bin but I do not see anything to reset.