bburns8

GFCI Outlet No Power

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

If your chassis alternator is working, then your chassis batteries should not be dropping voltage with the engine running. When you said that the voltage is dropping did you mean with the engine running or off?

Voltage is dropping when engine is running.

When engine is off and plugged into shore power the voltage is 13.18

Just checked the voltage on the chassis batteries again after a couple of hours of being plugged into shore power now it's 12.61 volts.

If the voltage is dropping with the engine running AND it also drops while plugged into shore power (I assume with the external charger connected to them) then something is obviously not right.

What is the voltage coming out of the engine alternator?

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

If the voltage is dropping with the engine running AND it also drops while plugged into shore power (I assume with the external charger connected to them) then something is obviously not right.

What is the voltage coming out of the engine alternator?

I do not know the voltage.  The electrician checked it and said it was ok.

In my, both Safari coaches there is a switch to a solenoid that ties the two sets together. It saved me twice getting to a spot to purchase a new alternator, 200 miles. The switch is a momentary one so I had to keep a toe on it while driving. You may have such on the dash with a battery on it.

1 hour ago, bburns8 said:

I do not know the voltage.  The electrician checked it and said it was ok.

Either it's charging the battery or not. If the voltage in the coach batteries is dropping with the engine running, there's a good chance that your alternator is not charging. Unless your chassis batteries have failed.

I still think that it would be key to get your chassis batteries to a local auto parts store or battery store to see if they can even take a charge. Do you have a toad or can you borrow a vehicle to take them for testing?

Richard, the odds are good, that the Auto shops in his current area (Carolina) is closed due to a Major Cat 4 hurricane!

bburns8, Do you have a fuel place nearby?  Go fill up coach and fill up water, get what food you need and head South West, NOW!  Your house batteries don't have anything to do with you driving the coach....Crank up and go!  Don't be a statistic...

The further South you get, the further you'll be from the "Dirty" side of Florence!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Richard, the odds are good, that the Auto shops in his current area (Carolina) is closed due to a Major Cat 4 hurricane!

bburns8, Do you have a fuel place nearby?  Go fill up coach and fill up water, get what food you need and head South West, NOW!  Your house batteries don't have anything to do with you driving the coach....Crank up and go!  Don't be a statistic...

The further South you get, the further you'll be from the "Dirty" side of Florence!

This is exactly what I need to do.  BUT the chassis batteries volts are dropping when the engine is on, generator on and external battery charger on house batteries.

PUT the D...battery charger on the chassis battery and go first thing in the morning!  If you don't, you will be evacuated....coach may or may not be there, when you get back!  Your decision...

4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Which battery bank (house or chassis) did you put the external charger on?  How many amps was it? 

With an external charger, you should be see in the high 13's to low 14's with the external charger ON.

If the storm is headed into your area, Forget the house batteries for now! Put the external charger on the "CHASSIS" batteries, that is the ones that cranks and runs the coach, make sure to secure the clamps on the battery connection so they can not fall off or be jarred loose, using wire ties or anything that will no conduct electricity, also make sure that the battery charger can not fall or turn over and cause any kind of shortage. Leave everything off inside the coach that uses 12 volts, lights, fridge etc. Get a bag of ice to put into the fridge to keep items there cool. Crank the generator to power as few items as possible except the battery charger that is supposed to be charging the chassis batteries, if you can get a 20 or more amp charger to put on the chassis batteries will be better than the 10 amp, but if you cant find a larger one, another 10 amp on the same batteries will not hurt anything because 12 volts is direct current. Crank the coach and check to make sure that the chassis batteries are on the upward climb up to 14 volts, if so leave off any thing that will pull against the chassis batteries, and get going away from that storm.

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

If the storm is headed into your area, Forget the house batteries for now! Put the external charger on the "CHASSIS" batteries, that is the ones that cranks and runs the coach, make sure to secure the clamps on the battery connection so they can not fall off or be jarred loose, using wire ties or anything that will no conduct electricity, also make sure that the battery charger can not fall or turn over and cause any kind of shortage. Leave everything off inside the coach that uses 12 volts, lights, fridge etc. Get a bag of ice to put into the fridge to keep items there cool. Crank the generator to power as few items as possible except the battery charger that is supposed to be charging the chassis batteries, if you can get a 20 or more amp charger to put on the chassis batteries will be better than the 10 amp, but if you cant find a larger one, another 10 amp on the same batteries will not hurt anything because 12 volts is direct current. Crank the coach and check to make sure that the chassis batteries are on the upward climb up to 14 volts, if so leave off any thing that will pull against the chassis batteries, and get going away from that storm.

I have to have an external battery charger on the house batteries too because the voltage drops on those also and I have to run the generator so I can use the outlet to plug in the external battery charger.  I will put another charger on the chassis.

If the generator cranks on the house batteries, this is true, just keep  those chassis batteries up by whatever means.

1 hour ago, bburns8 said:

I will put another charger on the chassis.

Great Idea!:)

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

I have to have an external battery charger on the house batteries too because the voltage drops on those also and I have to run the generator so I can use the outlet to plug in the external battery charger.  I will put another charger on the chassis.

Where exactly are you located?  How far from coast?

Raleigh, NC at the NC State Fairgrounds RV park.  About 3 hours from the coast.

When you leave, head for Salem, get on I-40 and head for Memphis!  You need high ground and I would get one or 2 starter batteries, fully charged and take them with you...campgrounds are going to fill up fast...you let this go to long and now you need to put as much distance as you can, between you and coast...if your 3 hours now, you need at least 10 or 500 miles!

Good luck!

When you leave, head for Salem, get on I-40 and head for Memphis!  You need high ground and I would get one or 2 starter batteries, fully charged and take them with you...campgrounds are going to fill up fast...you let this go to long and now you need to put as much distance as you can, between you and coast...if your 3 hours now, you need at least 10 or 500 miles!

Good luck!

That is the route I was looking at earlier.  We are leaving early.  Thanks.

Bburns, Yes it is time to move. Get some starter batteries for back up and run south West to Rt 40 West.

Find some fuel and look for a truck stop that pumps LP. you mentioned that it is low. 

Take some pictures of the battery wiring and before they are removed label every cable and take pictures again. 

Please keep us informed as you travel - Kay is in Georgia and is the one person that is closer as you travel to RT. 40.

Safe travels Rich.     

Yes, I am in Alabama, I am leaving tomorrow morning for Pigeon Forge, will be on in Chattanooga about 1:00 PM and will spend the night there. If you have problems, please call me, I will be glad to alter some plans to come3 and give help, be sure to write my number down, or if you have a smart phone, list it in your contacts, if you have lost it, just look back at the PM that I sent you, it is my cell phone, which goes everywhere that I go.

Thanks Carl, my daughter and son in law are in Wears Valley this week, predictions are not too gloomy there, they will be leaving on Friday, same day I will arrive there. Herman, Bristol speedway is opening up for campers that are evacuating the storm, that's about 50 miles north of Knoxville Tn. There are 5 known good repair facilities in Knoxville and many mobile service tech's in the area. I know a couple of them personally, so be sure to call me. At wears Valley I am only 30 miles from Knoxville and can meet you if you do need me. I'm not an RV Tech, but if I can't fix it, I can do diagnostics and pinpoint what is actually wrong with most units.

Update: I know this is long overdue.  Sorry for the delay.  

We made it safely on the battery chargers on the chassis and house batteries from Raleigh, NC to TN.  The standalone chargers worked out fine.  We met up with Kay in Sevierville TN when he was there at Pigeon Forge.  Kay was extremely helpful.

We had the alternator replaced and the inverter/charger replaced at Buddy Greggs in Knoxville, TN.  While we were there we got a seal leak on the right rear tire and had to have a complete brake job done on both rear tires and a jack replaced.  When it rains it pours.

We currently have an issue with the new alternator so we are back and Buddy Greggs again.  Hopefully, they will take a look at it tomorrow.

Oh boy sounds familiar....check the battery isolator it is a common culprit making multiple alternators look bad when they are not and when in fact it is the Isolator! Keep us posted. Just ask me how I know