bburns8

GFCI Outlet No Power

The buttons are in the center of the outlet. One is test and the other is reset. Possibly you are looking at the non-GFI outlet that is in the same bin. 

Also, you may find a GFI outlet in the wet bay ceiling. It is used to put a light bulb or heater in very cold weather to prevent freezing. 

30 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

The buttons are in the center of the outlet. One is test and the othrr is reset. Possibly you are looking at the non-GFI outlet that is in the same bin. 

ok, I will check tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

Also, you may find a GFI outlet in the wet bay ceiling. It is used to put a light bulb or heater in very cold weather to prevent freezing. 

Ok, will check it out.

There are two ways to wire a gfi, one is to use only that gfi in the location that it serves only, if wired this way, everything downstream is not gfi protected. The other way is of course wired so that everything downstream is gfi protected. The first way is the way that a coach maker would wire it if his intention is to put more gfis further downstream. This info is part of the printed pamphlet that comes with gfis that are individually boxed, contractor packs do not come with this info because the maker expects the electrician to already know this. If wired to my first scenario, then only what is plugged directly into the face of the outlet is protected, everything downstream remains on.

I prefer to have a GFI to stand alone. This way you know that it is the plug and not the circuit that is the problem.

In the house we built 4 years ago I had the electrician install individual GFI on all the kitchen (7) and both bathrooms (5 & 3). Knock on wood we haven't had one pop since we have been in the house. 

Herman

I actually used the Thql gfci/circuitbreakers when I built my house on most circuits that needed gfci. These are circuit breakers that include gfci, when one trips, you simply go the breaker box to reset, no hunting to determine where it is located. They are very expensive but worth the trouble saved. Only problem I had was convincing the electrical inspector what they were, of course his book described them but he had never seen one before. If you notice the red button, that's the test button.thql.jpg.47df85f800d3269164a029ca09d9b046.jpg

14 hours ago, rossboyer said:

The buttons are in the center of the outlet. One is test and the other is reset. Possibly you are looking at the non-GFI outlet that is in the same bin. 

There are 2 regular outlets in the bin.  They did not install a GFI.

In the wet bay is a regular outlet as well.

There is a GFI outlet in the bedroom.  I reset it but still no power.

One time I had an outlet fail. It was the second in the string of outlets powered through the inverter. The first check I would do is to see if the inverter is passing power. While plugged into shore power, see if power is leaving the inverter. If not the transfer relay in the inverter has probably failed. You may have to test this inside the inverter ir the wires leaving the inverter. If you do have power  then check the outlet on either side of the bed. If power there go to outlet in bedroom tv compartment. This the outlet failed on my coach. If power present, try the outlets along the passenger side wall. 

The outlets used are those low quality crimp on type that are subject to failure. 

30 minutes ago, johntelling said:

I had a similar issue, and it was that the inverter had turned off. Are you certain it is actually running?

Agree, except it does this even on shore power where the inverter/charger should be "passing through" the 120 VAC.

I recall that you must press and hold the button on the Xantrex for a few seconds. Also, they may be an inverter on/off switch located with the battery switches and other monitors, probably close to the front door of the coach

JT

As Wolfe10 stated, Xantrex inverter doesn’t have to be turned on at the front panel when plugged into shore power. If the first test I listed above fails, look for the 30 amp breaker in the main power panel. Mine is under the bed. Take the cover off and use a meter set to ac 250 volts or more. Check between the screw terminal on the 30 amp breaker and a bare point on the panel. I know you said that you had turned them all off and back on, but that doesn’t mean that the breaker is good. It wouldn’t be the first one that has failed. If there is any power there check the incoming power wires at the top of the panel. Maybe your power cord has a break. If no power there check the outlet again. 

1 hour ago, johntelling said:

I had a similar issue, and it was that the inverter had turned off. Are you certain it is actually running?

Yes, it is running.

Here's what lost power.

The GFI outlet located on the side of the kitchen counter.

The outlet located inside the cabinet above the microwave.

The outlet located on the wall dividing the dinning from the bathroom.

The outlet located next to the bathroom sink.

The light switch located next to the bathroom sink to turn on the vanity lights.

The outlet located in the bedroom slide.

The outlet located inside the bedroom TV cabinet.

The outlet located inside the living room TV cabinet.

and the fridge switched over to gas. 

The only GFI outlets I have is the one located on the side of the kitchen counter that is not working and one in the bedroom wall dividing the bedroom from the bathroom that is working.

The outlets in the bins outside are regular outlets with no push buttons but have stickers that say GFI.  I guess whoever installed them didn't install them right.

34 minutes ago, bburns8 said:

The outlets in the bins outside are regular outlets with no push buttons but have stickers that say GFI.  I guess whoever installed them didn't install them right

This would indicate that they are wired to the 'load' side of one of your GFI outlets in the coach. By wiring this way they still have protection from the originating GFI outlet, even though they are not GFI outlets themselves. Hence the labels.

29 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

This would indicate that they are wired to the 'load' side of one of your GFI outlets in the coach. By wiring this way they still have protection from the originating GFI outlet, even though they are not GFI outlets themselves. Hence the labels.

Thanks for explaining.

The Xantrex inverter doesn’t have to be turned on at the front panel when plugged into shore power. If the first test I listed above fails, look for the 30 amp breaker in the main power panel. Mine is under the bed. Take the cover off and use a meter set to ac 250 volts or more. Check the screw terminal on the 30 amp breaker. I know you said that you had turned them all off and back on, but that doesn’t mean that the breaker is good. It wouldn’t be the first one that has failed. 

The Xantrex inverter doesn’t have to be turned on at the front panel when plugged into shore power. If the first test I listed above fails, look for the 30 amp breaker in the main power panel. Mine is under the bed. Take the cover off and use a meter set to ac 250 volts or more. Check the screw terminal on the 30 amp breaker. I know you said that you had turned them all off and back on, but that doesn’t mean that the breaker is good. It wouldn’t be the first one that has failed.

I agree with Ross, as I stated earlier, the most probable is a bad breaker in the breaker box, or a wire has become disconnected from it, or a breakdown in the wiring chain away from it.

The one GFI that is working I think feeds the outlet at the dinette and the heater for the engine. There should be a switch to turn the heater on and off. Make sure it is off. It’s load is high and with other items on the 30 amp inverter circuit could trip one or more of the inverter breakers. My xantrex has three breakers. One is a small round white button. I have never had to reset this one but if it is sticking out it needs to be pushed in to reset it. There are two more toggle type circuit breakers on the front. These are the ones that have tripped for me. Check those to be sure one or the other needs to turned off and back on. 

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

The one GFI that is working I think feeds the outlet at the dinette and the heater for the engine. There should be a switch to turn the heater on and off. Make sure it is off. It’s load is high and with other items on the 30 amp inverter circuit could trip one or more of the inverter breakers. My xantrex has three breakers. One is a small round white button. I have never had to reset this one but if it is sticking out it needs to be pushed in to reset it. There are two more toggle type circuit breakers on the front. These are the ones that have tripped for me. Check those to be sure one or the other needs to turned off and back on. 

Thanks, Ross.  I checked all 3.

Thanks to everyone that responded.  I appreciate your time and help.  I've tried the suggestions but cannot get it to work.  I'm going to get a rv repair person to look at it.

Any recommendations for RV repair shop or mobile unit in the Raleigh-Durham, NC area?

Also, is it safe to drive the MH with this issue?

Thanks

Do you have a Heart Inverter charger?  If so, check the push button circuit breakers on the front panel.  Even when on shore power or generator the 30 amp breaker is "IN" the circuit.

Lenp

18 hours ago, lenp said:

Do you have a Heart Inverter charger?  If so, check the push button circuit breakers on the front panel.  Even when on shore power or generator the 30 amp breaker is "IN" the circuit.

Lenp

lenp, I have a xantrex freedom 458 series combi inverter charger.