Sign in to follow this  
RichardFryer

Brakes

I have an '06 Allegro Bay FRED. I tow a '05 Pontiac G6 with a Brake Buddy supplemental braking system. Every time I take an extended trip (250 miles or more) I end up with warped front rotors on the Pontiac G6. I install the Brake Buddy according to factory instructions. I have even talked to the factory to ensure I have done everything right. Of course, the factory says it isn't the Brake Buddy. Another thing , when I stop at a rest stop and do my walk around inspection of my rig, I detect the odor of "hot metal" around the wheels. When I don't use the Brake Buddy, the order is not present. Also, the monitor in the motor home indicates the system is only activated when I apply the motor home brakes. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Assuming that by applying the brakes you mean the service brakes, not the engine or exhaust brake. If the Brake Buddy is engaging when the engine brake engages, the Pontiac would be helping to stop the motor home. I don't know how these devices can tell when the service brakes are being used as opposed to the engine brake. As I understand their operation they are inertial and anything which is slowing the Pontiac will trigger the braking by the Brake Buddy.

Have you tested the dash indicator to see if the brake buddy lights the indicator even when the coach brake pedal is not depressed? Another consideration would be to adjust the force the Brake Buddy exerts on the brake pedal. Assuming that there is an adjustment to be made, I would set it for less pressure or a shorter distance of travel. The adjustment could be a sensitivity setting. Setting it to be less sensitive would reduce the braking. If there is no adjustment, perhaps the unit is not functioning properly. If all else fails, you should have it checked by the factory to see if it is properly calibrated.

Assuming that by applying the brakes you mean the service brakes, not the engine or exhaust brake. If the Brake Buddy is engaging when the engine brake engages, the Pontiac would be helping to stop the motor home. I don't know how these devices can tell when the service brakes are being used as opposed to the engine brake. As I understand their operation they are inertial and anything which is slowing the Pontiac will trigger the braking by the Brake Buddy.

Have you tested the dash indicator to see if the brake buddy lights the indicator even when the coach brake pedal is not depressed? Another consideration would be to adjust the force the Brake Buddy exerts on the brake pedal. Assuming that there is an adjustment to be made, I would set it for less pressure or a shorter distance of travel. The adjustment could be a sensitivity setting. Setting it to be less sensitive would reduce the braking. If there is no adjustment, perhaps the unit is not functioning properly. If all else fails, you should have it checked by the factory to see if it is properly calibrated.

Tom, thanks for your reply. The Brake Buddy will respond to the engine brake as well as the service brakes. However, I don't use the engine brake unless I'm driving in the mountains. I have adjusted the Brake Buddy according to factory instructions (I have even talked to the factory before departing on a trip). As for as the having it checked by the factory, they keep telling me the Brake Buddy is not the problem.