jenronn

Year allison started with Transynd?

I understand that Allison started shipping transmissions with Transynd  already in the transmission . I have a 2005 workhorse with an Allison 1000 and was wondering if it came with transsynd or dextron. I am almost at 50,000 miles so I am wondering if I am due for a full change or just a filter? If  it isDextron I plan to convert.  Any help would be appreciated.  VIN# is 5B4MP67G453403851

Transynd was an option from Allison at the time the chassis was spec'd. Some manufactures spec'd them with it some did not. If it were me i'd have it changed out so you have a base line moving forward.

jenronn,

Welcome to the  FMCA Forum.

Have you asked Workhorse (using your VIN) ?

Yes, the transmission would have some with some oil in it, but suspect the chassis maker would have filled it.

When you drain your transmission and change to say a synthetic do you get all the fluid out or is some still in the torque converter. And if not will the two types of fluid mix with no issues.

Herman

37 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

When you drain your transmission and change to say a synthetic do you get all the fluid out or is some still in the torque converter. And if not will the two types of fluid mix with no issues.

Herman

No, you do not get all the old fluid out of the torque converter or transmission cooler for that matter.  NO PROBLEM.

According to Allison it takes two changes with Transynd before going to the extended service interval approved for Transynd.

And Allison specifically recommends AGAINST flushing the transmission.

I talked with an engineer from Allison and he told me the way to get almost a complete change the first time is to undo the cooler return line at the transmission and put it in a bucket then fill the trans 6 quarts over full.  Start the engine and then have someone watching the bucket and when 6 quarts comes out shut off the engine.  Monitor the oil level and adjust accordingly.  I guess thats not public knowledge because of liability.  I have done it this way on 2 of my transmissions with good results.  Thats the way they do it at the factory.

Bruce,

I have done the same on PU transmissions with the same result-- actually ran the engine long enough to visually see the new/clean fluid coming out of the return line.

Agree, that is a sound process and does not violate the "do not flush" edict.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:05 AM, desertdeals69 said:

I talked with an engineer from Allison and he told me the way to get almost a complete change the first time is to undo the cooler return line at the transmission and put it in a bucket then fill the trans 6 quarts over full.  Start the engine and then have someone watching the bucket and when 6 quarts comes out shut off the engine.  Monitor the oil level and adjust accordingly.  I guess thats not public knowledge because of liability.  I have done it this way on 2 of my transmissions with good results.  Thats the way they do it at the factory.

How can you fill the transmission 6 qt. over full ?  That's possible?  

struthers495. 

43 minutes ago, struthers495 said:

How can you fill the transmission 6 qt. over full ?  That's possible?  

The normal fluid level is the full mark on the dipstick. That is the running level for the transmission pan . One can add 6 quarts - this brings the level above the pan level and fills the void where the mechanical parts are located. 

When one changes the fluid and filters, there is still a good amount of old fluid in the Torque converter and by over filling the trans by 6 quarts, running the engine will pump the extra through the torque converter and it is then discharged out the return line from the cooler - That trick replaces all the fluid in the entire system.  

Rich.

I have a 06 and it has a Transynd tag on the dipstick and also printed on the dipstick.  It's best to buy a 5 gallon bucket of it and pump it in after you drain and change filters.  If you going to flush this may be just enough.  

On 8/24/2018 at 8:05 AM, desertdeals69 said:

Be ready to clean up a big mess.  LOL

4 hours ago, DickandLois said:

struthers495. 

The normal fluid level is the full mark on the dipstick. That is the running level for the transmission pan . One can add 6 quarts - this brings the level above the pan level and fills the void where the mechanical parts are located. 

When one changes the fluid and filters, there is still a good amount of old fluid in the Torque converter and by over filling the trans by 6 quarts, running the engine will pump the extra through the torque converter and it is then discharged out the return line from the cooler - That trick replaces all the fluid in the entire system.  

Rich.

What I mean is...  no possible mechanical damage due to overfilling while you run the excess out ?  It would seem best to drain at least half out then refill with new fliud not to do any damage.

5 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Be ready to clean up a big mess.  LOL

No mess at all, don't spill a drop.  Just put the hose in a bucket and have someone start the engine and then when 6 quarts come out yell shut off.

1 hour ago, desertdeals69 said:

No mess at all, don't spill a drop.  Just put the hose in a bucket and have someone start the engine and then when 6 quarts come out yell shut off.

When I worked fleet I seen it happen and the person that do it gets lot of teasing.  Well that goes for all oil spills.   :lol:

On 8/24/2018 at 7:48 AM, jenronn said:

I understand that Allison started shipping transmissions with Transynd  already in the transmission . I have a 2005 workhorse with an Allison 1000 and was wondering if it came with transsynd or dextron. I am almost at 50,000 miles so I am wondering if I am due for a full change or just a filter? If  it isDextron I plan to convert.  Any help would be appreciated.  VIN# is 5B4MP67G453403851

Your main question is trying to find out if your transmission has 100% transynd, no transynd, or a mixture.  I didn't see much of an answer to that question.  Contact https://www.blackstone-labs.com/   and verify that they can check that the fluid is transynd or not.  For about $28 you should get a definitive answer. 

2 hours ago, huffypuff said:

When I worked fleet I seen it happen and the person that do it gets lot of teasing.  Well that goes for all oil spills.   :lol:

That’s not a mess, try pulling the engine oil pan off a 13 liter Maxxforce and believing the dealer that it was empty :lol:. And before you think I’m nuts it was towed back partially disassembled and the dip stick was missing, but they swore it was empty and I didnt try and drain it first, believed them. Lessons learned at the school of hard knocks :wacko:

Floor creepers don’t move fast enough  :lol:

2 hours ago, alflorida said:

Your main question is trying to find out if your transmission has 100% transynd, no transynd, or a mixture.  I didn't see much of an answer to that question.  Contact https://www.blackstone-labs.com/   and verify that they can check that the fluid is transynd or not.  For about $28 you should get a definitive answer. 

Like I said before it is stated right on the dipstick.  

11 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Like I said before it is stated right on the dipstick.  

If the former owner change the fluid and used standard transmission fluid, what is written on the dipstick doesn't matter much.

For about $28 and a little more for the fluid type check, you not only know for sure the correct fluid is in there, but you also learn if there is excessive wear in the components. 

Not a bad investment in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, alflorida said:

If the former owner change the fluid and used standard transmission fluid, what is written on the dipstick doesn't matter much.

For about $28 and a little more for the fluid type check, you not only know for sure the correct fluid is in there, but you also learn if there is excessive wear in the components. 

Not a bad investment in my opinion. 

I also did some checking on the internet, the statements that I read is that the Allison 1000 was available in both 5 speed and 6 speed. they were produced from 2001 to 2006. The 5 speed was shipped with Dextron III, the 6 speed was shipped with Dextron VI. I would agree that a $28. investment would be a good investment so that I would know for sure what it really is. If it were mine, and I were changing from non synthetic to synthetic, I would not do the complete changeover on only one change. Again, if it were mine, I would leave the old in the converter, and add Transynd to run for the next 50,000 miles, at that time I would move to a complete changeover, again this is not a recommendation for what everyone should do, only what I would do.

My 1999 Allison 3060  says Dextron III on the dipstick, which is what was used when the oil was changed.