Sign in to follow this  
Kevin510

Georgetown will "sorta" crank and not start.

I picked up a 2004 Georgetown mh a few months ago.  I primarily wanted to use this at a local lake as my 5er is a tad to long to get where we wanted to go. I enjoy working on RV's and thought I was pretty good at it until recently.  As I said, I picked the unit up about 4 hours away from home.  Drove it home with no problems.  It sat for a while while I did some work to it.  I drove it around town to get it inspected etc. with no problems.  We took it to the lake a few weeks ago and when we stopped to get gas it would not start again.  I would turn the key and the starter would engage for a split second......and then nothing.  I tried this a few times and after about 10 minutes it fired up like usual.  We got to the lake and camped for a week.  When time to come home it fired right up.  Now it wont start again.  I can turn the key on, then crawl under it and jump across the starter and it fires right up.  I had the starter rebuilt with a new solenoid today.  Still doing the same thing.  Replaced the batteries and that didnt help either.  I am at a loss and am hoping that someone out there might have some insight as to what is causing this.    

It is the Chevy chassis.  I did some more tinkering today.  I managed to get under the steering column.  I found a burnt butt connector.  There is a fairly large gauge white wire coming from the top of the steering column into the butt connector.  You can see where it shorted inside the connector.  But there is no wire coming out the other side.  No dangling wires either.  No other evidence of burns or shorts.  The only thing I did notice is that possibly the wire that was originally in the burnt connector, is now spliced into another wire.  But it is pink so I have no idea.  It is obvious that a previous owner has really rigged this thing up.  

20 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Might be the slave relay on the starter motor circuit.

Thanks for the tip.  I will start checking all the relays and see if I can find something. 

Kevin510,  The  Chassis engine, is it a 454 or the 8.1 L?

Also, What chassis is your coach built on W-20, 22, 24 Workhorse chassis or L-18 , L-31  P-32 chassis  ? 

Rich.

40 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Kevin510,  The  Chassis engine, is it a 454 or the 8.1 L?

Rich.

If 2004, it will be the 8.1 liter.

15 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

If 2004, it will be the 8.1 liter.

Brett, the 454 and 8.1 L engine are offered in the electrical PDF files for both. Just want to make sure - one chassis has a totally different electrical wiring setup.

Rich.

It has the 8.1 engine.  I have no idea what chassis it is.  Its a 32 foot rig if that helps narrow it.  Anywhere I could look to get a definite answer?  

Kevin,

To determine what chassis, look under the front of the coach:

Solid front axle= Workhorse W chassis

Independent front axle (looks like large Chevy PU front suspension)= Workhorse P chassis.

Both use the 8.1 liter V8.