53rambler

Pacific coast highway

Question

We are going to Beaver Lake Campground in Custer SD tomorrow for 5 days after being in Sioux Falls getting our mailing address and licenses. After that we want to go down the Pacific Coast Highway before staying in Casa Grande, Arizona beginning October 1st.

Any suggestions as for how far north we should go in Washington or Oregon to start south on the Pacific coast highway?

Rick and Sharon 

4 answers to this question

It looks like you can catch 101 around the Port Townsend Wa area.  It travels out to the ocean and then south along the coast.  You catch 1 in northern Ca.  Making it through the bay area on 1 is something I wouldn't like to do.  Like going through New York city.

We have been to the Left Coast several times going in at San Diego or Oceanside. We have traveled The 101 every time in a 40' towing a car and have never had a problem. In Calif., if towing, the speed limit is 55 and is reasonable as far as we are concerned. We have taken several side trips on the PCH in the toad and would never take a 40' towing on that highway.  Stopping at CG's along The 101 and side trips are the way to go.

If you can plan it, stay around Ferndale, CA., and take a side trip in the Toad along the Lost Coast Hwy. Start in Ferndale and take Mattole Rd down to Petrolia. Little restaurant/tavern on the left going in. Stop for a sandwich. Continiue on Mattole Rd and it will take you through a part of the Humboldt Redwood State Forest and back onto The 101. Head back to the RV.   Great side trip but don't try it in the MH.

You can pick up the 101 (as they call it ) from the Canadian border south. You might want to check out the Long Beach area and the Lewis and Clark fort.

I would never recommend you drive the coach on The 1 or even 1A. Most is drivable in the toad but trafic can be stupid bad. I have seen tourist stop in the middle of the road on a blind corner to take pictures.

Bill