stepingout

Florida resident - mail service vs family address

Poor decision, now my story.  I have lived in Florida since birth. Recently sold everything bought a class a RV and ready to hit the road.  Speed bump.  Address!!!  used a mail forwarding service in Florida got my DL, Ins, Bank acc.  But now with certain bank accts and SS the address is flagged as commercial. :-(   So now do I use Escapees in Florida (don't like the Texas mailing address) or a relative (how might that affect them tax wise)?  As far as mail very little mostly electronic. The other half had to go in to renew DL and it was a disaster.  Since I already made a mistake would like to hear from experienced full time RVers. Most the sites are outdated.  

I would call on a relative were it I. If you get a Texas address then you will have to be certified to drive a motorhome, I do not know how painful that would be. I have relatives in Florida so that would not be to hard for me to call on a relative, and I cant see how it will affect their taxes. But then again, I am not a lawyer, and this question sounds of if you might need to seek their advice, before getting too deep and over ones head.

We were ready to go with a Mail Box Express in Cape Coral when we went full time last November (sold our home in the Cape).  A family friend who lived nearby offered to let us use her address and it has worked really great.  I don't know of any way it will effect her taxes or anything else.

You can be a FL resident with Escapees and have an official FL address.  The Bushnell DMV, voeters registration, etc. are used to the situation.  You end up with 2 addresses, 1 is your residence in FL and the other a mailing address.

Thank you all for the info. Decided on a family member address and keep the mail forwarding service until we see how things go. Will post back if issues at Tax time or anything else. Back to the DMV hope this time won’t take 2 hours

Similar situation. Still have stuff in storage and a bedroom with a family member in Arkansas. Vehicles registered and insured in Arkansas, so that is my "domicile". Changed all mail to a mail forwarding service. However, trying to apply for open enrollment health coverage (I am not near 65 yet) after a year of COBRA coverage. The questions don't apply and the result was I don't qualify??? 

What are others, under 65 without retiree benefits, doing for self-pay health insurance while wandering the country? Thanks!

Sue, was there a reason you just didn't use the family members address where you still maintain a bedroom as your mailing address?  Everyone's situation is different so only you can decide but if that was your address then it would certainly make things easier all around not only for insurance but for about anything else that came up.