JAMES2FMCA

CAMPGROUNDS IN BOSTON, MASS AREA

Question

Any suggestions for campgrounds that are convenient to metro travel into Boston core/

heritage tourist areas? Tow car available but prefer to stay away from congested areas.

Thanks

17 answers to this question

3 hours ago, JAMES2FMCA said:

Any suggestions for campgrounds that are convenient to metro travel into Boston core/

heritage tourist areas? Tow car available but prefer to stay away from congested areas.

Thanks

If you want to stay away from congested areas stay away from Boston.

My brother lives in Central Mass and we have looked all over Mass. for suitable CG's and, except for what I hear about Normamdy, there are not good CG's in Mass. We have been all over looking for one within an hour or so ride from family and gave up. We would not stay at any of them.
We have heard the Normandy Farm park is good.

The camera footage sure looks good. I remember when Joe and family stayed there. He was obviously impressed.

My wife grew up in the South Shore area of Boston and I lived there for a few years myself, so we get back there frequently.  We stay every time at Wompatuck SP in Hingham.  It's 30 amp electric only, but water is available on each street and there is a dump station.  You're only a short drive from the passenger ferry to downtown Boston, and about an hour or so drive south to the Cape, less so to Plymouth.  The CG, while basic, is woodsey and very quiet.  There are nice roads for biking.  It's about as central as you are going to get to the Boston core area.  We have a 37' Class A and have never had any issues getting around the CG.  If you want a resort, this is not for you.  Otherwise it will suite your needs nicely.

Joe.  Linda has never been to Boston area.  Since we will be coming back from 2 months in the Maritime Provinces, early Sep. my issue is where to park a 45 footer?  4 days ought to fill her up! :lol: Also, when going into town, am I better off taking a cab?

Carl, Normandy Farms will suite you perfectly, I could have left the jeep connected on the pull through we had. We drove the toad into Boston, you could call a cab or park and take the sight seeing bus 

we did one like this;

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/hop-on-hop-off

It was nice, and you can hop on and off all throughout the city. I wanted to drive into the city to show the family the underground highway. That's a neat engineering accomplishment but can be nerve racking depending on the time of day you drive through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

Thanks!  Had forgotten about the "Red Line"....long walk, for me.  Linda would have no problem!  Been 28 years.

Joe.  I can not think of any city in the world, that does not have the Hop-On-Off, 2 decker  bus!!!  We need more in USA.  Linda and I took the new Blue Line, smaller and more agile, in Bergen, Norway last month!  

Carl, when you stand in front of FANEUIL HALL look to the left. The alley/street going down the left side is where the NPS office is on the building to the left about half way down. We went in to use the restroom and found out about the free tours. 😂

Bill

Yep!  The same in 1978.  My DW was from Lebanon, NH.  Father in Law & Mother, from Boston!  They educated me about Boston, from 1976 to 1988.  A lot has changed since then!

When we visited the Boston area two years ago, we chose to stay at the Canoe River Campground in Mansfield, MA. We also wanted to camp outside of the greater Boston area to avoid the congestion & also because I had relatives in the Warwick, RI & Bellingham, MA to see. Mansfield put us roughly equi-distant to Boston, to Providence and to Cape Cod.

Canoe River CG, like many CG's in New England are very family oriented, so they have many activities for the kids. The owners of Canoe River CG suggested taking the train to get into Boston &  offered to take us to the Mansfield train station. He said that if we called him when we got on the train coming back, he would pick us up at the station.

Normandy Farms is a very popular CG but is rather pricey. Another popular place is the Circle CG Farm Campground in Bellingham.