SDeuker

Confused and scared newbie

We are trying to get on the road for our first trip and I have been trying to decide between Tow Dolly and Flat Tow. I see that most like flat tow but I have a wife with a hip that makes seating a priority. Gas millage is second and price range is around 20000. Yesterday I find a nice 2018 Equinox that fit the description then I find a topic on here where a guy is having all sorts issues trying to get his 2018 Equinox ready to flat tow. I see a lot of people on here that either spend a fortune or have all sorts of issues due to electrical problems with flat towing. I am from the keep it simple crowd so I can work on it. I have no issue with putting temp lights on the back so I don't have to hook into the car wiring. I don't have air brakes on my coach. I know I need brakes on the toad so something has to be done unless you get a tow dolly with brakes. I don't want a standard trans. I am so confused I am scared to death to buy any vehicle much less has buying a toad become any sort of a fun project. We just want to be able to park the coach and use it as a hub while we travel in all directions then move it to the next area of curiosity and do the same. I am about to the point of getting a tow dolly and putting my old 2004 mini van on and at least I know what I got. But then there is the question of Tow dollies and what are good ones. I see Tow master has a nice looking one for about 1400 with brakes. As you can see I am overwhelmed. help getting me focused would be appreciated. LOL 

We have towed a Chevy Equinox for over 70,000 miles without issue. It has an automatic transmission, and I use a Roadmaster tow bar. I have wired the lights using Roadmaster’s module to add power. Yes, you will need an auxiliary braking system. The one I have depends on the air system of our coach; therefore, I cannot recommend a system for you. If you follow the manufacturer’s directions, you should not have problems towing an Equinox. 

Flat towing is so much easier than dolly towing, plus you have to find a place to store the dolly. 

SDeuker,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The Equinox is one of the heavier toads.  What are you towing it with/what coach do you have and what is its towing capacity.

We tow a nice Lincoln MKX that we got used for 22k.They are out there for less money than that. Added a pre made harness for the lights and put the brackets on myself. I use a brake that attaches to the receiver and uses a cable to operate the brakes. Works great

2 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

SDeuker,

The Equinox is one of the heavier toads.  What are you towing it with/what coach do you have and what is its towing capacity.

And because it is heavier, the cost to insurer in Indiana is lower than our other vehicles due to the Equinox’s history of lower claims and better safety records. We are considering replacement of our 2011 with a new one, but probably will not as long as it continues to serve us well. 

6 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

SDeuker,

We have a 37ft 1997 Safari Serengeti Cat 3126, I see you are familiar. I could find the GVWR of 28000 LB. but could not find the other number in any of my literature. You may know better than I what the towing capacity is since you had one. I sure appreciate the help of everyone.

I think you would find the information on a sticker on the wall at the drivers left shoulder. Also, I have seen them on the back wall of the closet or on tbe inside of a cabinet door. 

I had a Renegade 1999 on the same chassis, and I think towing capacity was 5,000 lbs. Wish I had my 3126E back. I was getting 10.6-11mpg. On my current C-7, only 6.7mpg. 

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

I think you would find the information on a sticker on the wall at the drivers left shoulder. Also, I have seen them on the back wall of the closet or on tbe inside of a cabinet door. 

I had a Renegade 1999 on the same chassis, and I think towing capacity was 5,000 lbs. Wish I had my 3126E back. I was getting 10.6-11mpg. On my current C-7, only 6.7mpg. 

Found the label on the drivers left. That was where the number I found was but the other number was not there. The seller told me he got a steady 10MPH with our coach. and he towed a older jeep as his toad. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

SD.  Go to Safari International,  they can tell you all you want to know!  

I am a member. I will do that. to find out the tow capacity.

We tow a 2017 Ford Explore XLT on a tow dolly. Its a Tow Master with surge brakes. We have been using a dolly for many years and have had no problems entering any recreational facility.  We are not limited to any speed restrictions or time restraints. The only draw back is we need to be careful when pulling into a tight spot because backing up a dolly is a royal pain. We have about 6000 tow miles on the Ford and have not had any problems. Good luck with what ever decision you make. Remember "when momma's happy, daddy's happy".

From FMCA's towables for 2018:

image.png.7159c81ab6c8649c3d6ccb09470fe80e.png

1   Use of a shield mounted in front of the vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission.
5   A vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission should be run at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for about five minutes.
6   To prevent battery drain, an auxiliary battery charger must be installed onto the tow vehicle and the charging leads connected to the battery of the vehicle to
be towed.

11 hours ago, SDeuker said:

We are trying to get on the road for our first trip and I have been trying to decide between Tow Dolly and Flat Tow. I see that most like flat tow but I have a wife with a hip that makes seating a priority. Gas millage is second and price range is around 20000. Yesterday I find a nice 2018 Equinox that fit the description then I find a topic on here where a guy is having all sorts issues trying to get his 2018 Equinox ready to flat tow. I see a lot of people on here that either spend a fortune or have all sorts of issues due to electrical problems with flat towing. I am from the keep it simple crowd so I can work on it. I have no issue with putting temp lights on the back so I don't have to hook into the car wiring. I don't have air brakes on my coach. I know I need brakes on the toad so something has to be done unless you get a tow dolly with brakes. I don't want a standard trans. I am so confused I am scared to death to buy any vehicle much less has buying a toad become any sort of a fun project. We just want to be able to park the coach and use it as a hub while we travel in all directions then move it to the next area of curiosity and do the same. I am about to the point of getting a tow dolly and putting my old 2004 mini van on and at least I know what I got. But then there is the question of Tow dollies and what are good ones. I see Tow master has a nice looking one for about 1400 with brakes. As you can see I am overwhelmed. help getting me focused would be appreciated. LOL 

Here is a thought. I like my 2014 Honda CRV so much I was looking at what to do if I wanted to replace it. I only have about 87,000 miles on this one. (it doesn't add miles when being towed) One thing I looked at was finding a low mileage used 2014 Honda CRV as that is the last year you can tow one 4 down. Surprisingly I found some with 30-36,000 miles under $16,000.

Now with your wife's problems with her hip she may be able to get in and out of the CRV better than some of the others. I would go down to the Honda store and see how she likes it. The CRV has been a realey great towd not to heavy, good mileage, great to drive while we explore the areas around where we are.

If you keep your eyes open you might find a used Brake Buddy or some outher braking system and a used towbar. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Bill

18 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Here is a thought. I like my 2014 Honda CRV so much I was looking at what to do if I wanted to replace it. I only have about 87,000 miles on this one. (it doesn't add miles when being towed) One thing I looked at was finding a low mileage used 2014 Honda CRV as that is the last year you can tow one 4 down. Surprisingly I found some with 30-36,000 miles under $16,000.

Now with your wife's problems with her hip she may be able to get in and out of the CRV better than some of the others. I would go down to the Honda store and see how she likes it. The CRV has been a realey great towd not to heavy, good mileage, great to drive while we explore the areas around where we are.

If you keep your eyes open you might find a used Brake Buddy or some outher braking system and a used towbar. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Bill

Thank you, My wife's mother has a CRV and loves it. I had seen they make nice toads but we figured we have a hard time finding a 2014 with less than 30000 and that was kinda what we were looking for. I will have to look into that a bit more and see what's available. What type gas mileage do you get with yours?

I have the all wheel drive LX and since the first of the year in all kinds of driving I have averaged 30.28 mpg. I think they are one of the best toads and I hope Honda makes them towable again. Look online you can find plenty with low milage and in the $15,000 range.

Bill 

I want to thank everyone for their help. We purchased a 2018 Chevy Equinox yesterday as our new toad. Now I just have to figure out what is the best braking system and tow bar. 

Herman.  How old is Monty now?  

I have not found a better or easier air brake system than M & G...in 43 years of towing a Toad, I have had them all. :P

He put in my unit at the 2016 Perry Rally...Grandpa was there also, he invented the original & still drives his converted bus! 

From another Safari International member and a Safari owner the towing capacity is 5,000 pounds. he needs to join safari friends @yahoogroups.com, 1500 participants and an active site every day. Safari-international is trying to improve the functionality of the website but attendance is very low and only 400+ members. Like Carl and Herman have said M&G top crust. We do not know much about your coach as to it's suspension but if it is a Velvet Ride or an air bag suspension it has air on board and the M&G will work. If only the Velvet ride suggest installing an small supplemental air container to increase the stored volume of air. Agree with the keep it simple!  I will send you a PM