SDeuker

Confused and scared newbie

Herman, Monty told me they didn't go to Gillette this year because Leon always wants to go in his rig and Monty doesn't think it would be safe for him to drive that distance. Monty is scared to death he will have a wreck backing it out of the shop. 

He should be scared to death, for all of us, on the Hwy with a centenarian behind the wheel.  Leon is no Spring chicken! 

We're newbies (not scared, just a little decision trauma). We are new RVers, and new owners of a 2018 Fleetwood Flair 31' V10 gas. It can tow neither my 2010 F150 nor her 2015 RX350. We are considering replacing my truck for a Toad. The decision trauma is Tow Dolly vs Flat Tow. I'm considering Flat Tow since I'm buying anyway. Considering a 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback to be as light as possible (~2800#).

Question: If Flat Towing, does the vehicle rack up miles on the odometer? No doubt it wears on tires and bearings. My thought is a tow dolly would save on the vehicle's tires, bearings and mileage if Flat Towing adds to its odometer.

I'm sure the answers are out there.

Thanks in advance!

Safe Travels!

4 hours ago, mbentson@comcast.net said:

We're newbies (not scared, just a little decision trauma). We are new RVers, and new owners of a 2018 Fleetwood Flair 31' V10 gas. It can tow neither my 2010 F150 nor her 2015 RX350. We are considering replacing my truck for a Toad. The decision trauma is Tow Dolly vs Flat Tow. I'm considering Flat Tow since I'm buying anyway. Considering a 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback to be as light as possible (~2800#).

Question: If Flat Towing, does the vehicle rack up miles on the odometer? No doubt it wears on tires and bearings. My thought is a tow dolly would save on the vehicle's tires, bearings and mileage if Flat Towing adds to its odometer.

I'm sure the answers are out there.

Thanks in advance!

Safe Travels!

Vehicle does not rack up miles while towing. Using a tow dolly is a lot more work than flat towing.

Some folks like the dolly thing. I tried it for a season and off it went to another wanting to try it out. I could not be happier flat towing. Now I also use a trailer from time to time to bring other toys along. But flat towing is by far the easiest, less than 5 minutes hooking up.