patwhite

Cat 3126 ECM programming?

My 2003 Fleetwood Providence, Freightliner chasis, Cat 3126 engine, stopped running on I-35 in Iowa last week.  After a tow to a local shop, teoubleshooting revealed probable ECM failure.  ECM was taken to Catepillar in Altoona for check.  Result bad ECM.  New ECM sent back and installed.   

Now I need the new ECM programmed.  Who would have the proper/original program?  Fleetwood, Freightliner, Catepillar?  The RV runs, but no cruise control, no speedometer calibration, etc...

Waiting on return call from Zeigler Cat to see if they will finish programming the ECU.

Thanks for the help,

Pat

Pat, A Cat dealer would be your best option. Most others could do it but only with CAT SIS software. Locating an RV dealer with the software and skill set to do it properly would be a needle in a haystack.

Im actually surprised they didn’t complete the programming prior to releasing the coach back to you.

Thanks for the input.  The Cat dealer afternoon shift stated that they no longer work on motorhomes.  I am still waiting on a call from the shop supervisor.  The truck repair shop didn’t have the Cat program to complete the programming.  I hope it all works out with a phone call and a trip to catepillar next week.

I am learning way too much about this.

Pat

Ya, with the very limited access to the engines on many motorhomes, not working on engines is understandable.

But, the programming the computer???????

My Cat has access to the ECM in the dash and in the rear. Surely most diesel powered RVs have the same. Sounds like jerk at work. They are a Cat dealer so why could the program be downloaded? Or is that possible?

The tech has a plug in program...had it done on my Cummings in Gillette.  He plugged into my dash & 5 minutes later, my RPM's where compatible with my Allison....now, I can climb hills again! 😁

Took motorhome to Freightliner for ECM programming.  $1,556 later I have an RV that runs good, but I still need to go back to have the proper speedometer calibration.  It currently indicates 10mph low.

At least I now have a printout of all of the inputs to program the ECM.

Not very happy with the experience.

Pat

Pat/ Probably most of us would not be happy spending that kind of money to reprogram an ECM. Especially when it still needs a little more work. Does not sound to me that you were fairly treated.

Carl/ How much did you pay in Gillette?  

Pat,

Sorry to hear about the issues with the ecm. Unless there was a total melt down of the original ecm, the cat  dealer should have had it reprogramed with the old info before they sent it back to the shop. They must have reprogramed  some of it because I thought they came new with no info. With the motor serial no. and the ecm serial no. any cat shop should have been able to put it back to original specs within a short amount of time. I am not sure why FL charged so much and it is still not right.  Over the years we have had to replace many ecm's on cats and Detroit's and have never had that issue. On some that had the ecms altered later for hp and speed may have had to be reflashed  but that was a 10 - 15 minute job.

Again, sorry to hear about the issues.

Gary

Byron.  Nothing, it was a service in Gillette! :wub: 

I'm with Gary.  Something is missing.  $1,500+?  Mustang CAT did the same for Linda, in Tyler, TX., she was there for annual service...cost = ZERO!