safariowner

Replacing Norcold 1200 cooling unit with retro fit compressor unit

My Norcold 1200needs the cooling system replaced. I have been looking at the replacement units offered by JC Refrigeration. One new option that is available is a direct fit compressor unit that will install on to my existing unit. All the testimonials sound too good to be true. 

http://jc-refrigeration.com/

Anyone out there know anyone that has installed one of these units? Would love to hear what they think of it.

Do not think that they are describing a compressor system on their website. The so called Amish Cooling unit is similar to Norcold and Dometic boiler units for cooling, but the company has a much better reputation. 

The Amish do not use electricity in their homes 😎 . Therefore they must use an absorption type fridge to preserve food. There are Amish in northern Indiana and locations in Ohio. Perhaps this company makes versions of what the Amish use or even make them to sell to the Amish. Have heard of handy people buying the unit that they offer for the do it your self crowd. Other RVers have gone right to the factory for installation.  Have never heard a negative thing about the company. We would consider having one of their units installed while comparing the pros and cons of a residential fridge in the area our  Dometic occupies setting over the coach circuit panel. Would be a job to move that.

If you dig into their website they have both types. They make a compressor unit that runs on 120v AC and requires a 1000w inverter, according to the info. They also have two options on the boiler units, one traditional and one with helium.

They don't use electricity in their homes, but this company does certainly produce equipment that runs on electricity.

The compressor unit seems like a great way to avoid remodeling the cabinetry while getting the reliability of a residential fridge.

http://jc-refrigeration.com/products/

Scroll down on this page and you'll see the options.

Thank you Richard. I know there reputation  with boiler units. Did not know that they make a compressor unit using only a 1K inverter. Gotta look in to that.

5 hours ago, richard5933 said:

If you dig into their website they have both types. They make a compressor unit that runs on 120v AC and requires a 1000w inverter, according to the info. They also have two options on the boiler units, one traditional and one with helium.

The unit does not require a 1000 watt inverter, it only states that it will run on a 1000 watt, it does state that a PSW is not required, it will run on MSW (modified sine wave). This option does look appealing, and if I owned a 1200 no-cold, I would certainly consider going this route over changing out the unit in lieu of replacing the whole fridge. Not an endorsement because I have never seen this type conversion, but if I were in the market I would look hard into this route.

9 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

The unit does not require a 1000 watt inverter, it only states that it will run on a 1000 watt, it does state that a PSW is not required, it will run on MSW (modified sine wave).

I guess I misstated that...It requires an inverter IF you wish to run it from the batteries. Then a 1000-watt inverter will run it. Otherwise it is designed to run from 120v AC. Since most of us will have to run the fridge from batteries at some point, even if it's just driving from one pedestal to the next, in my mind I consider the inverter a required piece of the equation. If there is already an inverter in the coach, then this would be a non-issue as you could just plug in and go.

If you switch out the entire unit depending on what you select in the residential world you will gain space inside for food storage and shave a few hundred pounds off of the coach. That's how it worked out for us anyway, no electric/inverter/battery changes were necessary either.

My if we were in the market for a change I would look ar the compressor model, but how new and tested is it?  Have never heard anything negative about he "Amish" boiler replacement as Wayne has noted.

Probably owned by Mennonites!  Biggest concentration of Amish, in lower 48, is Ohio and PA.

Wayne should check it out, he's about 35 miles south west.  It will keep him away from the ice cream! 🙄:lol:

SURPRISE!!!..  I am sitting in JC Refrigeration's parking lot at this very moment.  I am here to get a second iteration of the compressor powered unit installed in my Norcold 1200 series box.  We got the first one June 17th of this year.  It has had some problems with frosting up in the refer box, (not the freezer).  We have tried everything we can think of to find a temp setting that will do the job but stay defrosted.  That is the reason I'm here, to get a new modified unit installed.  It seems to run on about 1 amp or a little less.  We have made no modifications to accommodate this unit

They have stood by us all the way.  One of the benefits of dealing with people of this caliber is you are never left out in the cold with your product.  I can't say enough good about them. 

In about 3 days I will report back on the success of the new install.

It's 2 PM and the "boys" at JC have finished the new install and we are parked outside.  As said before, we plan on being here for about 3 days to find out for sure if this will work as we want, (no continuous frost).  Starting out with the temp setting on 5 and will go from there.

Progress reports as we go along.

Thanks, Brocki, for the updates. It sounds like the "bugs" are almost worked out. Do you know if they have installed many of these units? It would be interesting to know how they are operating.

Sorry I'm a day late in reporting back. 

Yesterday we left Shipshewana with the understanding that we would go on our way and use the compressor unit for a week and if not satisfactory, we will replace it with gas.

As of this time, it is not successful in our install.  We either have not enough cold for the freezer compartment or frost building up on the fins.  I'll keep you updated.

Safariowner, I was told that he has sold 6 or 8 of the revised unit and "and have not had any feedback of frost problems."  Some frost problems were reported earlier on though.

I'll report back in 2 more days.  We really want this to work if we can.

Just a thought... If you're having frost problems inside the fridge then perhaps you have moisture getting in. Might be that your door gasket is not sealing well enough to keep out the warm/moist air.

I think Richard is correct. Frost is a good indicator that the door seal is not working right and letting moist warm air in and the cold air out. 

Bill

I'm surprised JC did not check on door gasket, for cleanliness and a good tight seal.  They do need to be cleaned and inspected periodically!  Mold is one reason to clean them.  Ugh!

This sounds like a big pain and expense altering a unit with a horrible track record. 

Besides the fire issues with the NOCOLD product they are prone to door problems. Richard nailed it with his comment, sounds like the doors are not sealing. 

Is there a reason you are trying to save this unit and not converting to a residential unit and moving on with your life?

You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make him drink!  Too many re-calls for too long on the NoCold 1200!  Also, too many rigs/lives lost to fire! 😡

I just thought, by joining the Class Action Suit against Nevercool I am receiving enough money to pay for my Samsung.:D And heck we have a lot more space to carry food and beverages. So we found that light at the end of the tunnel.