safariowner

Replacing Norcold 1200 cooling unit with retro fit compressor unit

Not every coach can take a residential fridge without doing cabinet modification. Sometimes it's quite a bit of remodeling to get the opening sized right, and sometimes it's a problem just getting it inside. Can't speak to the specifics of this application, but there are situations where keeping at least the shell of the Norcold in place would be the optimal solution. Theoretically this should work if the shell is in good condition - all that's happening is replacing a failed/dangerous refrigeration system for one that works. These things are really nothing more than a big insulated cabinet with a refrigeration system attached.

Herman.  Thinking it was back about 10-12 years ago.  The 1200's was chucked out at CW and replaced...back of the shops had dozens.

Richard, you might be on to making money, if you can get one put together for less than a replacement. :P 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Herman.  Thinking it was back about 10-12 years ago.  The 1200's was chucked out at CW and replaced...back of the shops had dozens.

Richard, you might be on to making money, if you can get one put together for less than a replacement. :P 

Never said it was less expensive, just that at times getting a residential fridge installed isn't practical.

2 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Never said it was less expensive, just that at times getting a residential fridge installed isn't practical.

I did a residential conversion last year.  10.2 cu ft bottom freezer 24 in wide.  Took out a Dometic that was 32 in wide and had 8 inches for a slide out pantry 5 ft tall. The new one has a larger interior than the old one.  I made sure it was approved for RV use, had trouble with one in my last coach, compressor failed in 7 months.  I bought this one at Best Buy on sale for $299 and for $100 extended the warranty to 5 years.  Used it for 4 months this summer and was one of the better improvements I did to the coach.

If replacing a 1200 series you can modify the cabinet or in our case we didn’t. I selected a refrigerator that would fit, and it’s still bigger than the 1200 series NOCOLD. I didn’t feel like reinventing the wheel. Unless you consider a notch on the top right corner of the cabinet opening for the hinge to clear a modification. Closed off the vents trimmed off the excess opening on the sides and that’s it!

Option 1

Amish cooling system $1200.00

My doors leaked, $800.00 for new doors (cannot purchase seals separate)

Option 2

Residential refrigerator $599.00

Misc wood trim, Angle brackets, screws and wood stain $50.00

MSW Inverter and 4 6volt battery’s, OEM equipment 😎 $0.00

My Labor, 4 hours $0.00

OK.  We give up.  We can't get this unit to work in a satisfactory manner.  Though it is cooling well, it isn't getting the freezer section cold enough so the ice maker works efficiently.  We are going to get it exchanged for a gas absorption unit next Tuesday on our way through.  I still think if you can't reasonably switch to a residential unit, this is the way to go.  It just doesn't seem to be working as we want it in ours.  We have journaled our temps and findings as we have gone along and will give them to JR and hope it helps him to further refine this unit.

We pretty well ruled out the air leak as that was the first thought.

I hope no one thinks I am saying anything negative about JC Refrigeration.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Their gas unit that we had before worked great on a much lower settings than the Norcold and none of the dangers applied.

This pretty much puts this issue to bed for us.

No we haven't lost our minds. 

As we had a few more days before we were to get the gas cooling unit, we tried on last time for balance.  We turned the cooling unit up to 5 and let it go.  All of a sudden it started to defrost on a every 2 day basis and did all other cooling functions fine.  Lots of ice making and plenty cold in the back of the freezer for ice cream.  The defrost was the critical issue here as it was doing all cooling functions anyway.

We're going to keep it.  I can't say that everyone else will have our experience, good and bad.  He has other units out there and they can't all else be problematic.  The amp draw seems low enough that when we off the grid, it didn't cause  excessive generator running. 

The end (hopefully).

1 hour ago, brocki said:

No we haven't lost our minds. 

As we had a few more days before we were to get the gas cooling unit, we tried on last time for balance.  We turned the cooling unit up to 5 and let it go.  All of a sudden it started to defrost on a every 2 day basis and did all other cooling functions fine.  Lots of ice making and plenty cold in the back of the freezer for ice cream.  The defrost was the critical issue here as it was doing all cooling functions anyway.

We're going to keep it.  I can't say that everyone else will have our experience, good and bad.  He has other units out there and they can't all else be problematic.  The amp draw seems low enough that when we off the grid, it didn't cause  excessive generator running. 

The end (hopefully).

What did they do to the inside to add vents to blow the cold air inside with a compressor change over? Or does it just cool the original cooling fins from the absorption set up?

By the time I found out about the class action suit I was 2 days too late to join. Tried calling the law firm to no avail.