peegee5344

VW Beetle on a Tow Dolly

Hi All,,

Newbie here getting ready to take our A Class Gassie to Florida in October from Ontario.

We have a standard VW Beetle we plan on taking with us on a tow Dolly.

Anyone out there tow a Bug that may have any recommendations or cautions or any helpful hints,, will be much appreciated.

Coach is a 2005 Coachmen Santara 3510DS.

Thank You for any and all input.

Peter

1 hour ago, peegee5344 said:

We have a standard VW Beetle we plan on taking with us on a tow Dolly.

Does this mean that it is standard shift? Knowing this will help in anyone giving suggestions.

peegee5344,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Looks like some confusion here:

What year Beetle (basically asking old air cooled rear engine or newer front wheel drive)?

Manual or automatic transmission?

Sorry,, thanks for the help,,,

yes, it is a 2004, Manual (standard) shift, front wheel drive Bug convertible.

The Manual doesn’t speak to being towed at all.

Thanks again for any assistance. 

Actually two answers to your question:

VW has not deemed any of their vehicles towable 4 wheels down.  Now, this could be for mechanical reasons OR due to VW lawyer conservativeness.

Here is a good source of information strictly from a mechanical standpoint: http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

You can put in your vehicle specifics and see what they recommend.

Didn't the OP ask about towing on a dolly?

If so, assuming that the car does not have a live rear axle, what would be the problem of towing on a dolly with the front wheels on the dolly?

2 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Didn't the OP ask about towing on a dolly?

Yes he did, but no info about year model or any other particulars except that it was a manual. I would assume that after finding that it is a 2004, and standard transmission, that it would be ok to place on a tow dolly with the front wheels on the dolly, since it is front wheel drive, the rear wheels are always being towed anyway. While doing some research before answering the question, there are many complaints about the standard tranny having many problems, nothing specific about what causes this, but I would think that is why VW chose not to give any specifics about towing that car, again, only speculation on my part. Older models of beetles were rear wheel drive, that is why I asked for more specifics.

Thanks for the insight folks,,, I’ll keep an eye on the fore and aft end as I do my first practice loading of the Bug. I read elsewhere as well about possibly needing a bit of assistance at the ramps by a board or two to make sure she drives up onto the ramps properly.

I’ll report back after I’m done to let you know how I fared out.

Tks again.

Peter

I tow my Volkswagen Eos on my Acme Tow Dolly, The ramps come off and are stowed so there is no clearance problem. My only complaint with the Acme is there is no 'lateral forgiveness' with the winches after loading. If you are not centered it's back down the ramps and try again

3 hours ago, seb1899 said:

I tow my Volkswagen Eos on my Acme Tow Dolly, The ramps come off and are stowed so there is no clearance problem. My only complaint with the Acme is there is no 'lateral forgiveness' with the winches after loading. If you are not centered it's back down the ramps and try again

I used a Acme Tow Dolly for a couple of years. The new ramps are nice. I have never seen a  Acme dolly that you couldn't  move the winches. Take a fairley big hammer say a 16oz ball peen and a block of wood and see if you can't drift the winches sideways. Use the block to protect the base of the winch. They may be stuck because of the paint. They use to be removable if you removed the bolt at the end of the track. 

Here is a link to one of their instruction videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoizMRJ6aUo

Let me know if they move.

Bill

I know it's late for this thread, but the 2004 "New Beetle", manual can be towed 4 down, per Remco & Blue Ox makes a harness/base plate.